Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Failure Rx300

Reading so much about this happening on the US forums...albeit with seemingly mostly 1999/2000MY RX's...or is that RXii?

Being new to this forum and the marque.....is or has this been a problem over here in the UK/Europe? Seems odd that the driving conditions are so different that Toyota oops...sorry Lexus...didn't cover for this in the original PASCAR tests....

Just an enquiry...purely out of interest as our US buddies seem to have all sorts of regular problems at around 60K or so.....

I must admit a little self interest as my 300 is around the 46K now.....maybe I only have another 20K before things go BANG!!! :lol:

Best regards David....happy Burns night....it is isn't it? Well I opened the scotch as a precaution about an hour ago...just in case! :hehe:

Not having logged on for some time I see there are a few threads that I have had experience on that may be of interest to viewers.

Firstly I had a replacement gearbox fitted to my May 02 RX SE at 62K miles last April. I put the car in for a service and had a comment made on the service sheet about a slight noise from the gearbox, (not noticed by me). When I discussed this with the service manager he said that there have been some problems with the RX gearbox at or around 60k and that he has dealt with a couple of them personnaly. He also said that when the cars came to the UK originally a police force (Hertfordshire I think) who ran them on the motorways had problems with a few of their fleet at 60K.

As I had extended the Lexus warranty (£1420 for 2 years) he arranged for the car to be brought in for about a week, gave a brand new GS300 as a run around and had the gearbox replaced. When I picked it up and asked about the cost if I had not had the warranty he said it would have been about £3500. So all in all £1420 well spent.

I extended again in May 07 at a cost of £825 for the year and in September I heard a rumble from the rear offside bearing. When checked out it was ready to go, this was replaced under warranty but while removing some of the parts to replace the bearing an ABS sensor was damaged this was also replaced under warranty.

It is not only the American RX's that have had gearbox problems.

On the other thread by (ihPJ) on the cost of the warranty. Lexus may be expensive but so are the cost of replacement parts if they go and as I have found out to my benefit in the long run the quality of the Lexus warranty and the dealerships in my case has paid off.

Other dealers that I have been involved with over the years have not been as accomodating or helpful as Lexus.

So while it may be expensive it could certainly be worth considering if in the long run if you intend keeping your vehicle much beyond the original manufacturers 3 years warranty.

Hope this is of interest and help.

Regards JOHA101

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links