Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have managed to buy myself a set of RX8 alloys off of E-Bay which I intend to fit to my 1998 LS400 to sharpen up the handling a bit.

The wheels are 18" alloys 8" wide and I am unsure as to what size tyres I need to get fitted to the wheels once I put them on the LS.

Having searched the forum I came across various tyre calculators and I think the best size (to keep the speedometer reasonably accurate) is 245/45/18 however I notice several owners with 18" wheels seem to have lower profiles.

Is one of the options for me to go for a different profile on the front (i.e 225/40/18).

Although I want to sharpen up the handling a little I don't want the ride quality to be unbearable.

you'll need spacers on the front ones at least as your calipers will hit the wheels. you'll also need new nuts as yours wont fit the wheels!

guess how i found out!

i still haven't fitted mine as i need tyres too, i was looking at 245/45, 235/45 and 265/35 as i think anything else would look too small in the arches, 225/40/18's would be too small i'd think.

Matt

i haven't fitted them yet but i've got some 10mm spacers which i think will do and leave enough thread left to safely fasten them on.

the lexus nuts dont fit in the hole on the mazda wheel(again i found out like you after i bought them) but i got 20 mazda ones of ebay(probably still on the same page as the wheels) for about £10. i hope they fit the studs!!

its only about another £20. i got the chrome wheels for £120. which one did you get? the alloy or chrome?

i think i'm going to go for 245/45/18's i did have a try of a 225/35/19 on mine before and it was tiny and looked crap because of the tyre.

blody bigger wheels are nightmare!

n.b. i heard its only on UK spec ls400s that have the big calipers on the front(haven't tried the rear). i think imports may have smaller calipers. but i may be corrected

Hey boys,

Maybe i can help. i searched high and low for my alloys, i really wanted the RX8 a really solid alloy, but they are a discontinued wheel BALLS!!!!!!!

I put 225 50 18 on at first and scraped the arch like mad even on the front. i went through so many tyres sizes to find ones that fit in the end i put 255 40 18 on the rear and 245 40 18 on the front. the rear still scraped but i had to roll the internal lip of the arch out, now works a treat and looks hot!!!!

If you have any further questions i am more than happy to answer them

Best wishes mat

do you think 245/40's would look ok on the back?

also how did you tint your back lights and side repeaters? i see a plan!

lol a plan is away forward! too be honest 245 dont look to different to 255 its just 10mm difference, i only put 255 on cos my mate ran out of 245's.

The lights were done with a tint spray, approx a tenner for spray can (1 tin is all you need).

Hope that helps

Best wishes mat

i've got my rx8 wheels on and they look fantastic!!

althought i'm going to put some 20mm bolt on spacers on to get them to look just right. i'm running 245/40/18's

i used 10 mm spacers on the front to clear the discs with enough thread left to be safe.

i'll post some phots when i get a chance.

all in including spacers,chrome wheels,tyres,nuts....£460......bargain.

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links