Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do I Change My Spark Plugs!

MAT_8N

how do i get my spark plugs out!!

i've got new ones to put in and had a quick look after taking the engine cover thing of but i'm flummexed as in how to get the damn things out!!

also, where's the fuel filter?

ta

Matt

when i did mine it took me about a hour and i changed the leads when i did it as one fell apart when i took it off if i can remember it was only a couple of nuts to get the cover off and the cover just lifted off

fuel filter i dont know

when i did mine it took me about a hour and i changed the leads when i did it as one fell apart when i took it off if i can remember it was only a couple of nuts to get the cover off and the cover just lifted off

fuel filter i dont know

i've done it! took my stupid blind to the obvious head off and put my sensible head on!!

took me about an hour too. changed the fan belt thing and air filter too

sussed out the fuel filter too!!

fuel and oil filter/oil change in the morning then its just the brake pads and my service is all done! just need to book it in for the timing belt(waterpump maybe too) then she's good for another 60k miles B)

all parts imported from USA and fitted myself!! saved a fortune :lol:

fuel filter i dont know

i've done it! took my stupid blind to the obvious head off and put my sensible head on!!

fuel and oil filter/oil change in the morning then its just the brake pads and my service is all done! just need to book it in for the timing belt(waterpump maybe too) then she's good for another 60k miles B)

Its a good feeling doing your own servicing. That way you can say "my car has been serviced" rather than "I have another stamp in my service book". :winky:

I hope Rock Auto were good to you mate. My stuff arrived very quickly.

Ross.

fuel filter i dont know

Its a good feeling doing your own servicing. That way you can say "my car has been serviced" rather than "I have another stamp in my service book". :winky:

I hope Rock Auto were good to you mate. My stuff arrived very quickly.

Ross.

rock auto were spot on but i ordered front brake pads and i dont think they'll be the right ones? uk/usa spec? i haven't checked yet.

and i got stung for the import tax!!!! think i was unlucky but it still worked out much cheaper! 80p for spark plugs!!

According to the factory manual the correct plug for the 96 LS400 is

Nippon Denso - SK20R11

or

NGK BKR6EP-11

The NGK BKR6EP-11 is a platinum plug according to the NGK website:

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1187513

The SK20R11 is an iridium plug and is the recommended one for the 98+ VVTi LS400 but i guess because its an American reference they might have specified something different for the 96 model ??

According to the the Denso website the correct plug for the European '96 - '97 LS400 is PK20R11 which is a platinum plug. (but no harm if you used iridum ?)

http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/global/...=maker47car.csv

All in all i think you have the correct plug (with the correct gap) and you got them at a good price too.

Also a good idea to use a small bit of anti seizing compund (copper grease) on the thread since they will come after a long time.

I paid something like £9 or £10 each when I did plugs a while ago. You live and learn :)

i did look into it before i bought them.

i got all my service parts from them. the oil filter,air filter, fan/alternator belt thing, fuel filter and plugs and it came to $78.85($80) + about $30 postage. $110 at todays exchange rate is about £55/£60.....i got caught for £20 import/vat whatever it is but its still only about £80. i bought some semi synthetic oil and changed everything myself, which was a doddle.......all in it was about £120ish quid for a service and plug change which i thing was a good price!

i was wary that the stuff might not be right but it was all spot on and arrived 48 hours after the order!!

thanks for sharing the info, good to know for future reference if anyone needs to order parts. even after the £20 duty its still well worth the saving.

How did you get on with the fuel filter ? did you do it without a lift on axle stands ? i think like the mk4 its located somewhere near the rear diff. I got my mechanic to do mine while he had the car up in the air.

i haven't done the fuel filter yet. i had the front end up on axel stands so could just get through to the back for a look and a fiddle, but there wasn't much room. my drive is on a slope so i needed to turn it round and jack the back end up. looking at it though, again its a very simple job(just near the diff on mine too) just a bit messy with the fuel that leaks. i'll get it done soon, probably take about 20 mins!! everything is so well thought out and easy to replace.

fuel filter is not a difficult job, its an in-line type of filter and got plenty of working space, only draw back is its under the middle of the car but if you got it lifted to get under it you should be ok. Just be ready to catch 1 or 2 litres of petrol so you dont mess up your driveway, i remeber a lot came out.

With all those things replaced you might get a slight improvement in mpg.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links