Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Vibration At 70, And While Braking

I had two new tyres fitted a few weeks back and have noticed a fair bit of vibration through the steering wheel - there had been a little bit (since the same company fitted a front tyre) - I got them to re-balance the original tyre at the same time as they fitted the new ones, but the viration seems to be a lot worse...

I noticed they balance through the centre hole - I've taken it back twice now and the last time I mentioned that the hole is probably not central - they didn't seem very impressed and told me that all wheels are balanced via the centre hole these days and they don't have the kit to do it any other way.

When I brake from about 70, I get pretty bad vibration as it slows through about 55 - could warped discs be the problem?

Also, Lexus recently replaced the rear discs and pads (one of the calipers had stuck and scored the disc).

I'm thinking it is probably a balancing issue - the car hasn't felt right since they had it. It was beautifully smooth until these guys got their hands on it and now it's all over the place.

I'm very tempted to take it over to STS to see if Tony can sort it out - could probably do with the geometry checking again anyway, what with all the potholes around where I live...

Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm hoping it's balancing and nothing more serious.

Tony should be able to help you with getting the balancing done using 5 stud plates than centre mounting. I'd get that done first, and then see if the vibration is still there from braking.

If it started immediately after having your new tyres then it looks more than likely its a balancing issue rather than geo - unless they messed around with it whilst doing your tyres.

Get them Road Force Balanced (find somewhere with a Hunter 9700 machine) - You wont believe the difference ;o))

Also worth checking how the lug nuts have been done up. I could feel it when mine had been gorilla'd up to stupid proportions with ratchet guns and breaker bars. Assuming the Mk2 lugs are torqued up the same, they should be at around 76 ft lb, not much at all really.

I have got a similar problem with vibration when braking at that speed and last thursday took the car into my father-in-law's garage who is a MOT tester.

Put my 97' GS300 Sport on the rolling road and kept the brake applied to a constant reading as shown on the rolling road dials and my off side front wheel kept a reading of 200 while the near side front fluctuated between 150 and 200 - warped disc. The back wheels were also tested but came out fine.

Will be replacing the discs next week along with pads to cure my problem.

I am really hoping it's not the discs - I replaced them a year ago with Black Diamond discs - the originals weren't warped but were very worn.

If Tony is watching - do you have a Hunter balancing machine at STS?

Not sure about the geo - they asked me if I wanted the tracking done when I took it in and I said very definitely 'no' as Tony set it up last time and it handles much better than it ever did with the manufacturer settings.. however it has felt decidedly odd since I had it back..

I've since talked to people who used the same tyre-fitters / mechanics as me and have heard very bad things - a few people are convinced that things went wrong with their cars shortly after they'd taken them there.. I'm not sure there's anything dodgy going on, but I certainly won't be going back...

Tony and STS from now on - luckily he's not far away.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links