Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Integration - Is 220d (m/media)

Hi all,

I'm awaiting delivery of an IS 220d SE Multimedia, with the M. Levinson bits etc and as I'm in the market for a new MP3 player, thought I may as well kill a couple of birds with one stone, so a few questions if that's okay.

1. I am aware that the multimedia pack includes ipod integration, but what does this really mean? Is it just an aux jack, or is this something that will enable me to see what is being played and use the steering wheel controls etc?

2. Do I have to buy an ipod? I'm not a big apple fan and would rather get a Zune or something similar. Will these work or is it just for ipods?

3. If the answer to 1 is just an aux jack, would my buying a third party integration system and having it fitted independently of Lexus invalidate the warranty?

4. Finally, (thanks for bearing with me!) what is the best third party integration kit and are there any that show all the same info as the mp3 player itself and not just playlists etc?

Thanks for your help!

Ragsy

Hi Ragsy and welcome to LOC,

In answer to your questions:

1. It is just an AUX socket - located in the drivers arm rest and actived by pushing the aux button on the dash.

2. The socket is a 3.5mm standard one, will take any 3.5mm jack.

3. Not sure on that one, suggest you talk to your dealer or someone here will probably know.

4. The Viastech kit is considered quite good (http://www.vaistech.com/) but I've not seen one installed so cannot say 100% - I'm sure there are others. I also believe that Lexus are now fitting a kit, again not sure what brand or features.

Enjoy your new motor and remember to post some pics when you have it.

Thanks

Matt

Hi all,

I'm awaiting delivery of an IS 220d SE Multimedia, with the M. Levinson bits etc and as I'm in the market for a new MP3 player, thought I may as well kill a couple of birds with one stone, so a few questions if that's okay.

1. I am aware that the multimedia pack includes ipod integration, but what does this really mean? Is it just an aux jack, or is this something that will enable me to see what is being played and use the steering wheel controls etc?

2. Do I have to buy an ipod? I'm not a big apple fan and would rather get a Zune or something similar. Will these work or is it just for ipods?

3. If the answer to 1 is just an aux jack, would my buying a third party integration system and having it fitted independently of Lexus invalidate the warranty?

4. Finally, (thanks for bearing with me!) what is the best third party integration kit and are there any that show all the same info as the mp3 player itself and not just playlists etc?

Thanks for your help!

Ragsy

Hi, I have the Lexus iPod integration kit and it's pretty sweet, showing 6 playlists, and the playlist name and song name for the current song being played. Integrates nicely with the steering wheel controls allowing you too change playlist and change sony in playlist. It also charges the iPod and pauses it when the phone rings etc.

HTH

Scott

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Ragsy

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone else find the location of the AUX in inconvenient? or rather its impossible to close the armrest once a jack is put into the aux in? is there any other way of connecting the ipod, maybe another aux in at the back of the head unit?

And also the Cigarette lighter next to the AUX in seems totally impractical. Using a cigarette lighter charger for my ipod, I find I have to use the lighter in the ashtray....

does anyone else find the location of the AUX in inconvenient? or rather its impossible to close the armrest once a jack is put into the aux in? is there any other way of connecting the ipod, maybe another aux in at the back of the head unit?

And also the Cigarette lighter next to the AUX in seems totally impractical. Using a cigarette lighter charger for my ipod, I find I have to use the lighter in the ashtray....

Get yourself down to Halfrauds...they have a range of 12v adaptors with really short plugs.

I got myself a triple, which fits in to the armrest rather nicely.

If you need me to I can send you a pic.

The item cost about £8/9.

Get yourself down to Halfrauds...they have a range of 12v adaptors with really short plugs.

I got myself a triple, which fits in to the armrest rather nicely.

If you need me to I can send you a pic.

The item cost about £8/9.

Ah, have just noticed you're in South Africa, in which case, you probably won't have a Halfords... :duh:

However, there must be someone selling them on the internet...

its the aux in im struggling with as the arm rest wont close when the ipod is plugged in. does anyone know of a fix for this?

You need an angled jack plug...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?C=SO&a...5mm+Stereo+Plug

Or some form of short adaptor lead (3.5mm stereo socket to 3.5mm stereo angled plug)

If you buy the plug from Maplins you'd simply need to cut off your current straight one, and solder the angled one on.

If you're not feeling too confident with a soldering iron, and if you can't find the lead ready made, any local (independent) electrical shop should be able to make one up for you. Or, take the complete lead in to them and ask them to pop on an angled plug (preferred option IMHO).

its the aux in im struggling with as the arm rest wont close when the ipod is plugged in. does anyone know of a fix for this?

You need an angled jack plug...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?C=SO&a...5mm+Stereo+Plug

Or some form of short adaptor lead (3.5mm stereo socket to 3.5mm stereo angled plug)

If you buy the plug from Maplins you'd simply need to cut off your current straight one, and solder the angled one on.

If you're not feeling too confident with a soldering iron, and if you can't find the lead ready made, any local (independent) electrical shop should be able to make one up for you. Or, take the complete lead in to them and ask them to pop on an angled plug (preferred option IMHO).

Or take a look here...

http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/felleadsandadapt.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links