Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Resetting Ecu In My Auto

Im doing a lot of town driving and want to have my IS200 change up to second/third earlier than it does, without taking the revs quite so high. I dont like to use snow mode, as it feels like you are limiting the cars torque when doing this, but i want to have the car change up sooner/at lower revs a la what snow mode effectively does when you activate it.

I am kind of confused having read various posts on here about ECU resets, as some say it makes no difference to economy and others say it takes a few tanks of fuel before the ECU "learns" your driving style. If anyone can qualify that resetting the ECU makes changes to gear ratios on an auto, i would be very keen to hear about it.

Thanks

It won't actually change gear ratios, but I'm sure it'll clear what the gearbox thinks is your driving style. However, it doesn't take long for it to learn the way you drive so I wouldn't really bother.

If you're light on the throttle it will change up pretty quickly, if you hit the throttle quite hard it hangs on to each gear, so it all depends on the way you drive.

The stuff you've read about ECU resets and economy, is mostly due to switching from normal unleaded to optimax or v-power, to make the engine learn to use the new fuel quicker.......I've been using V-power for the last few fills now and I'm seeing a definite improvement in economy.

It won't actually change gear ratios, but I'm sure it'll clear what the gearbox thinks is your driving style. However, it doesn't take long for it to learn the way you drive so I wouldn't really bother.

If you're light on the throttle it will change up pretty quickly, if you hit the throttle quite hard it hangs on to each gear, so it all depends on the way you drive.

The stuff you've read about ECU resets and economy, is mostly due to switching from normal unleaded to optimax or v-power, to make the engine learn to use the new fuel quicker.......I've been using V-power for the last few fills now and I'm seeing a definite improvement in economy.

Thanks Parthiban, that clears things up nicely! :shifty:

Does the IS200 auto have an ECT power switch? as in the Altezza 5AT turning that off makes a difference ... ie it won't rev as high before changing up and doesn't drop down as aggressive either when you floor it ...

Does the IS200 auto have an ECT power switch? as in the Altezza 5AT turning that off makes a difference ... ie it won't rev as high before changing up and doesn't drop down as aggressive either when you floor it ...

Yes it has one - i always keep it off as it helps, as you say, to keep the revs down before changing

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links