Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any recomendations for the best tyres for a Facelift MK2 GS300 on standard 17" alloys?

There are currently (All are 235/45/ZR17 97W) 2 almost new Stunner Scudos on the front and 2 mixed tyres on the back - 1 x Bridgestone Potenza + 1 x wierd make... All these were on the car when I got it but don't like mix and match tyres, even though all the tyres are ok threadwise, I'm thinking of getting, at the minimum, 2 new good quality tyres for the front and putting the Scudos on the back...

Is this a good idea or would I be better off stumping up for 4 new tyres?

Whether it's 2 or 4 tyres I want to get the best - Mileage is low so I don't mind tyres that wear out fast, they'll see no hard use or high speed work, around here roads are very rough and weather is generally crap so comfort and wet weather safety are my main priorities.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated - I am currently considering the following: EAGLE F1 Asymmetric 235/45 R17 97Y XL.

Thanks in advance,

Damo.

I had eagle F1 GSD3s on the Mk2 Sport and they were very good tyres, especially in the rain.

I have these all-round on my GS430, and have been very pleased with them too. They are not quite as quiet as I was hoping for, but they certainly ride better than the Potenza RE030s that were on there before and, as Maneesh says, are excellent in the wet. You really wouldn't know it was raining, they hang on so well. They also seem much less prone to tramlining. I'd definitely recommend them.

I paid £395 for all 4 fully fitted, from Blackcircles.

BTW, there is no need to use the XL tyres, and the ride will be worse if you do as the sidewalls are stiffer. A load rating of 94 is just fine.

BTW, there is no need to use the XL tyres, and the ride will be worse if you do as the sidewalls are stiffer. A load rating of 94 is just fine.

how do i find the load rating? im looking on mytyres.co.uk and all i can see is speed index...?

how do i find the load rating? im looking on mytyres.co.uk and all i can see is speed index...?

It's the 9x rating - usually either 94 or 97 in the sort of sizes we're looking at.

See Linky for more detailed info.

Until you stacked it!

err, the abs and vsc were switched off, and the brakes locked. no matter how good your tyres are, if your brakes lock, you're kinda screwed.

I know dude, just pulling your leg

Until you stacked it!

err, the abs and vsc were switched off, and the brakes locked. no matter how good your tyres are, if your brakes lock, you're kinda screwed.

I know dude, just pulling your leg

hehe

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 all round on mine. Good, fairly quiet tyres, long lasting too! A bonus is that they're what I'd call orientational rather than directional, in other words they have an "inside" and an "outside". This means that the wheels can be rotated around the car (or you can use one as a spare) and they're always facing the right way.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advise - I'm going to go with: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 235/45 ZR17 94Y....

Not very expensive either which I was suprised at.

Thanks Mike B for the info on load rating - I didn't realise what that number meant!!

Trying to decide whether to get 2 or 4 - would prefer to get 4 but thinking it'd be a shame to dump 2 almost new tyres so might just get 2 now and another 2 in a few months time.

Thanks again...

• 1 month later...

Just to thank everyone for the great advice - I ordered 2 of the Eagle F1 GSD3 (94Y) and when I seen them, decided to hell with it and ordered another 2 :-)

Got them fitted today and it's amazing the difference in the drive of the car - Not referring to grip or handling but to comfort and driveability!

Thanks again Mike B for info on the load rating as tyre fitter noticed the 97Y on the old tyres and said exact same as you, plus I agree with you about the reduced tramlining as that was a problem for me before but not now :-)

I ordered them from camskill.co.uk - 90 euro each ex vat (about 70 STG) delivered to Ireland, great service arrived in 3 days each time.... Highly recommended!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links