Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The 250 Auto on the other hand is smooth, reasonablly economical, and like a Lex should be...I really do wonder how those (dgman, Finlex etc) who get high 40' in a 220d would fair ina 250 Auto...I bet you woul probably get low 40's in a 250 Auto....

My Lexus dealer is in Helsinki (the capital of Finland), which is a totally different driving environment compared to my own neighbourhood. That's why it's really difficult for me to get a comparable mileage reading with a 250 Auto. What I've read about test consumptions on magazines, if I got 42 with an A4 1.8TFSI then I would most likely get 38, maybe 40 at best with a 250 Auto. Not a huge difference to what I get from the diesel, but combined with the local fuel costs it's enough to keep me convinced of my choice.

I hate to say it, but having driven a Alfa Romeo 159 diesel recently IMO it is far superior to the IS220D and it's as good or possibly better to look at too. Cannot vouch for the reliability as only had it for three days, but the build quality looked excellent.

I didn't really like the Alfa 159 2.4 diesel. The gear box was smoother than the Lex's, but the engine wasn't any eagerer despite having more (claimed) power. And the fuel consumption was absolutely terrible! Before I bought my 220d, I did a comparison test between these two with fuel economy in mind and the Lexus got a result of 42 MPG against the Alfa's 37. Even reliability excluded, I would still take the 220d over the 159.

I hate to say it, but having driven a Alfa Romeo 159 diesel recently IMO it is far superior to the IS220D and it's as good or possibly better to look at too. Cannot vouch for the reliability as only had it for three days, but the build quality looked excellent.

I didn't really like the Alfa 159 2.4 diesel. The gear box was smoother than the Lex's, but the engine wasn't any eagerer despite having more (claimed) power. And the fuel consumption was absolutely terrible! Before I bought my 220d, I did a comparison test between these two with fuel economy in mind and the Lexus got a result of 42 MPG against the Alfa's 37. Even reliability excluded, I would still take the 220d over the 159.

As I said, it's personal opinion, but I thought the performance far superior to the 220D and the fuel consumption was on a par with the 220d...even hammering it on the Italian Autostrada it was returning over 40 mpg. Looks like Alfa have improved a lot, and as always the styling is stunning. I still wouldn't have one in place of my 250 SE-L though :lol: .

PS - I did try the new A4 2.0TDi and I will not put my findings on here, as no one will believe me...(BTW - I wouldn't buy the new A4 - the dodgy driving position put me off...). All I would say is just go and compare the engine and box combo to a 220d - you'll be shocked at how good a diesel can be.

well, if this wouldn't show up after more than 2 years of development and couple of grand more in comparison with the IS, it would be very bad for audi :)

PS - I did try the new A4 2.0TDi and I will not put my findings on here, as no one will believe me...(BTW - I wouldn't buy the new A4 - the dodgy driving position put me off...). All I would say is just go and compare the engine and box combo to a 220d - you'll be shocked at how good a diesel can be.

well, if this wouldn't show up after more than 2 years of development and couple of grand more in comparison with the IS, it would be very bad for audi :)

The 6 cylinder 3 litre diesels are the best. I've driven an Audi A6 3.0 TDI, BMW 530d, 535d, Merc C320 CDI. All are very smooth and swift.

The best diesel engine I've driven is the Audi v6 3 litre. It doesn't sound like a diesel at any speed but is still not as good a sound as the IS250.

Matus - actually - the Lexus engine and gearbox combo was slightly above average (other than BHP/Torque/Local Particulate/Cat) when it was launched. Even the two of them didn't work together well then...and after 2.5 years it's still the same...and now with Co2/company car tax/road tax here in UK Lexus need to do something very very soon...

Th reason why they sell is due to the Lexus branding and markting, value for money, perception of great customer service, loyal buyers etc.

Everyone here with the 220d should go and test drive the new A4 2.0TDi - it has good and bad point (like any car), but be honest if you do drive one and post on here!!

BTW - the 3.0TDV engine in an Audi is awesome - it might not have the V6 howl of the 250, but it will leave it dead in the water from a performance perspective - a totally different type of engine and cannot be compared to a 250...I also drove the A4 3.0TDi Quattro around the block just to compare it to the 2.0TDi. OMG! What a car!

Had my 250se auto MM since last September when I bought it as an ex demo 07 with 3K miles. Changed from an A4 sport avant multitronic diesel.

I went through a period of doubt, had I done the right thing? Now after 9000 miles and 7 months I am totaly smitten, this is by far the best car I have ever bought. This is after my last 5 cars [ 3 Mercs and 2 Audis) all purchased new.

My mpg is not too different to the Audi which never returned the advertised mpg.

My contact with the dealer has been totally positive, 1st service was just over £200.

It went in for 2 days recently to have 2 dash rattles fixed [ they told me the fixing brackets had been modified].When I picked it up the rattles have gone completely and the car looked like new valeted inside and out.

When I got home I noticed a damaged wheel and cut tyre,I thought I would end up with a battle on my hands with the dealer but they replaced wheel and tyre without fuss.

I should say I am lucky not to have had a bad experience with either the Merc dealer or the Audi dealer.

Had my 250se auto MM since last September when I bought it as an ex demo 07 with 3K miles. Changed from an A4 sport avant multitronic diesel.

I went through a period of doubt, had I done the right thing? Now after 9000 miles and 7 months I am totaly smitten, this is by far the best car I have ever bought. This is after my last 5 cars [ 3 Mercs and 2 Audis) all purchased new.

My mpg is not too different to the Audi which never returned the advertised mpg.

My contact with the dealer has been totally positive, 1st service was just over £200.

It went in for 2 days recently to have 2 dash rattles fixed [ they told me the fixing brackets had been modified].When I picked it up the rattles have gone completely and the car looked like new valeted inside and out.

When I got home I noticed a damaged wheel and cut tyre,I thought I would end up with a battle on my hands with the dealer but they replaced wheel and tyre without fuss.

I should say I am lucky not to have had a bad experience with either the Merc dealer or the Audi dealer.

You need to change your name to Lex Al!!

You ae correct of course, the 250 Auto is excellent!

Everyone here with the 220d should go and test drive the new A4 2.0TDi - it has good and bad point (like any car), but be honest if you do drive one and post on here!!

If I get a chance I will.

BTW - the 3.0TDV engine in an Audi is awesome - it might not have the V6 howl of the 250, but it will leave it dead in the water from a performance perspective - a totally different type of engine and cannot be compared to a 250...I also drove the A4 3.0TDi Quattro around the block just to compare it to the 2.0TDi. OMG! What a car!

you are right probably, but again - if I had money to buy and feed the A4 3.0 TDI, I'd rather stick to 3,2 V6 petrol and that's again a different story :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links