Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk1 Bearing Type Noise

Tron20

Hi guys, I've not been on for a while, I'm actually planning on selling my GS300 sport, but unfortunately it still has a fault which is starting to get gradually worse. The best I can describe it is as a bearing type noise, it seems to be rotational, like (and don't laugh) a wubb wubb wubb noise, which varies with speed. I've jacked up the car and turned the rear wheels (one at a time) and I can't feel any play in the wheels as if the bearing(s) are worn, lexus have even looked, but they can't find the fault either...

However earlier, I noticed if I rotated the wheels backwards and then forwards quickly I could hear a clunking/ringing noise coming from the geabox, upon closer inspection if I grab the prop shaft just behind the gearbox any slight rotation creates the same noise. Is this a noise that should happen on the GS300 drivetrain? or could this be the source of my rotational noise?

Just to add the car has only done 85,000 miles since new, regularly serviced, and to my disappointment only has this fault holding me back from selling it. It has the 10" wide rear wheels, and all the tyres have even wear. I've tried balancing the wheels, over and over, I've rotated the wheels, and the sound doesn't change, I've put the 8.5" wide alloys on the rear, and still no change in the sound.

Any opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated, and could someone with a GS300 MK1 without this wubb wubb wubb noise check the output shaft on the back of their gearbox to see if it clunks or rings?

Thank you in advance

Paul

i have a is200 and had the car checked a lexus for the clunking noise at gear box (prop).all was ok and normal.to check your wheel bearrings find a clear bit of road and steer the car from left to right which will transfer the weight and put load on the bearrings.listen and you shoulld be able to hear which bearring is worn as the noise will get louder.also it could be the handbrake shoes behind the discs catching.hope this helps and good luck

Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated. I don't think its a wheel bearing, there isn't any noticable play in the wheels when its jacked up, and theres no uneven tyre wear. Don't think its the brake shoes catching, I have replaced both the rear discs and shoes in vein hoping it would get rid of the noise, but no luck, also have adjusted the shoes as best I can several times, still no joy. I do keep thinking it could be that though.

Now then... the centre bearing in the prop shaft, hypothetically if that was worn would I be able to hear it as the noise I've described? It isn't excessively worn, but I can move the prop shaft about inside it, only fractions of an inch, but I'm sure its enough. Also if I grab the front of the prop shaft before the centre bearing, and grab the rear of the prop shaft and turn them back and fourth in opposite directions, I can generate the ringing sound (just thankful its not my gearbox :) ) How much do you think it'll cost for a new centre bearing, and/or a new prop shaft?

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links