Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone, Is250 Ownership So Far...

Hi everyone, I've had an IS250SE MM Auto since September '06 and thought I'd give you an overview of my ownership experience to date..

I chose the Lexus after driving a number of models from SAAB, B&W, Honda etc. and in my view overall the Lexus package was better, comfort, equipment and even crispness of handling - plus the car looked far better than most.

The car has had a number of issues:

Wheel corrosion - Lexus do need to get this sorted, you do not expect to see paint bubbling after 12 months :crybaby: Great response from the dealer who changed all four wheels, but it can't be that hard for the world's top auto maker to source decent alloy wheels. A neighbour has an 12 year old LS400 and the bodywork is immaculate but the wheels are a disgrace - a big weak point. This issue is not new to Lexus so I really can’t understand why wheels continue to be a problem for them???

Stone chips, paint is weak and certainly not as good as I've had on previous cars. I've also had corrosion causing paint bubbling :tsktsk: on the bonnet that has recently required a complete bonnet respray. Again, good response from the dealer who booked the car in and got it sorted :) but it’s something you don’t expect to worry about when a car is less than 24 months old.

More minor gripes; seat wear, cushion bolsters look rather wrinkled and certainly not as hardy as those on a Mazda Xedos 6 I had previously, and yes, mine does rattle a bit, but it's normally cured with a wedge of paper between the dash and windscreen, fortunately not a big problem and an interesting discussion point when you give someone a lift and they ask you about the Lexus’s build quality. :rolleyes:

The interior is a very pleasant place to be, the infotainment works a treat as does the Bluetooth and the cars character turns you into a relaxed driver overnight! The 6 speed auto is very smooth and given my general state of relaxation since owning the car, the last 30,000 miles have given an average consumption on the fuelometer of 36.1 mpg. Motorway runs can see the tank average over 40 mpg which is good for the engine capacity and cars weight, however given the lack of real ooomph for a 200bhp, engine except when changing down a dozen gears and burying the throttle, it's just as well. :winky: The 250 would certainly benefit from a bit more torque. The engine could also do with a little more character for a V6, it's well insulated but the underlying sound is not what I'd call sonorous or even mildly sporty, minor grumble though as it generates absolutely no resonance or boom at any speed. Ride quality is also generally good compared to some BMWs for example, but tyre noise is another area that could do with improvement. It can be very tiresome (no pun intended!) on poor surfaces - so I'm hoping that some less aggressive tyres might help shave a few dB’s off the drone when they're changed.

If you’ve read this far you’re probably thinking that I’m unhappy but actually I think the car is really rather good :) I always look forward to driving it, mechanically it has been utterly dependable unlike my wife’s Audi, and I don’t get the feeling it will all wear out anytime soon, in fact I would say that the car feels more responsive and smoother to drive now than it did when it left the showroom. No product is perfect but there really is nothing major wrong with the 250, in some ways because most of it works so well when something is a little below par – like the road noise – it stands out above the tranquillity. If you are thinking about a new car then the IS should be on your list to have a good look at, and if you do own one I hope your experience is as good or even better than mine. :D

Thanks for the forum!

I still don't feel the gearbox is as smooth as the 5 speed in the RX350.I can feel somes changes sometimes between 1st & 2nd for instance

I do have the glovebox rattle on one particular corner it sounds like something rolling from one side of the glovebox to the other even when there is nothing there.In the last week or so I have noticed an intermittent noise coming from behind the drivers seat when going over bumpy roads

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links