Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250, Thoughts Following 10k Miles...

I thought the esteemed readership might be interested in some musings following 10k miles in 6 months in an IS250

I drive a lot of miles to my office up in Coventry, and needed a relaxing and economical cruiser, but with some interest (I love cars) and plenty of toys. On that front, the IS250 was a clear winner! It has more gadgets that I know what do do with, but all of which make a very positive contribution to the experience.

So, pros-

- Impressively frugal for a 2.5l V6 auto- usually returns more than 35 mpg on a mixed commute, but I've noticed the computer exaggerates the true reading.

- very comfy, refined and quiet. I did not realise how much I needed ventilated seats, but they really are good...

- fantastic stereo, MM interface is clever and works well.

- I love the reversing camera and parking aids

- The styling is great- sharp, dynamic and forward-looking- makes other cars in the class look dated IMO

- Paintwork is very good quality- a glassy finish compared to an orange-peely 3 series coupe I looked at the other day. I have noticed some chips on the nose though, but inevitable really.

- Safe feeling with good NCAP score and solid feeling build.

- Perhaps I'm lucky, but there are no rattles. Trim and carpets are good quality, except the rear view mirror which feels very cheap, creaky and nasty when you move it about.

- adaptive cruise is just fantastic- at its best in crowded m-ways when you're trolling along at 50-60-70mph. You do need to be sensible about it, as its quite binary and of course cannot anticipate like a human can (yet!)

- climate control very good.

But cons-

- Why no IS350 in the UK?? It is fast enough for daily driving, but I do miss the wallop of my old BMW 330Ci.

- Looks a bit under-wheeled with the 17ins. But the trade-off is less road noise I suppose.

- Interior plastic seems to scuff and scratch easily, i.e. door entry plates, and seat backs (kids now have a no-shoes rule!)

- No split/fold rear seat

- iPod interface is only an aux socket- no control via panel or steering wheel.

- 10k mile service interval is too short in this day and age.

- engine could sound more interesting, especially on start-up from cold when it really sounds rather unappealing.

Things that have gone wrong;

- Adaptive cruise seems very sensitive to vehicles in the nearside lanes- i.e. overtaking a lorry or van, it sometimes brakes hard to match speed with the vehicle you are overtaking :tsktsk: which is quite un-nerving and potentially dangerous. Its almost as if it is pointing toward the left too much, dealer reckons that it may need adjusting- I hope so.

- CD player won't give my cd's back sometimes... again on the list to fix.

Other than that, the main thing is that I get out of it after a long trip feeling un-stressed, and positively relaxed (except for occasional ACC-related unexpected braking scares!) which is what I bought it for. But, as Scotty says, I need more power!

I thought the esteemed readership might be interested in some musings following 10k miles in 6 months in an IS250

I drive a lot of miles to my office up in Coventry, and needed a relaxing and economical cruiser, but with some interest (I love cars) and plenty of toys. On that front, the IS250 was a clear winner! It has more gadgets that I know what do do with, but all of which make a very positive contribution to the experience.

So, pros-

- Impressively frugal for a 2.5l V6 auto- usually returns more than 35 mpg on a mixed commute, but I've noticed the computer exaggerates the true reading.

- very comfy, refined and quiet. I did not realise how much I needed ventilated seats, but they really are good...

- fantastic stereo, MM interface is clever and works well.

- I love the reversing camera and parking aids

- The styling is great- sharp, dynamic and forward-looking- makes other cars in the class look dated IMO

- Paintwork is very good quality- a glassy finish compared to an orange-peely 3 series coupe I looked at the other day. I have noticed some chips on the nose though, but inevitable really.

- Safe feeling with good NCAP score and solid feeling build.

- Perhaps I'm lucky, but there are no rattles. Trim and carpets are good quality, except the rear view mirror which feels very cheap, creaky and nasty when you move it about.

- adaptive cruise is just fantastic- at its best in crowded m-ways when you're trolling along at 50-60-70mph. You do need to be sensible about it, as its quite binary and of course cannot anticipate like a human can (yet!)

- climate control very good.

But cons-

- Why no IS350 in the UK?? It is fast enough for daily driving, but I do miss the wallop of my old BMW 330Ci.

- Looks a bit under-wheeled with the 17ins. But the trade-off is less road noise I suppose.

- Interior plastic seems to scuff and scratch easily, i.e. door entry plates, and seat backs (kids now have a no-shoes rule!)

- No split/fold rear seat

- iPod interface is only an aux socket- no control via panel or steering wheel.

- 10k mile service interval is too short in this day and age.

- engine could sound more interesting, especially on start-up from cold when it really sounds rather unappealing.

Things that have gone wrong;

- Adaptive cruise seems very sensitive to vehicles in the nearside lanes- i.e. overtaking a lorry or van, it sometimes brakes hard to match speed with the vehicle you are overtaking :tsktsk: which is quite un-nerving and potentially dangerous. Its almost as if it is pointing toward the left too much, dealer reckons that it may need adjusting- I hope so.

- CD player won't give my cd's back sometimes... again on the list to fix.

Other than that, the main thing is that I get out of it after a long trip feeling un-stressed, and positively relaxed (except for occasional ACC-related unexpected braking scares!) which is what I bought it for. But, as Scotty says, I need more power!

Having now covered 28000 miles since last September in mine, I would agree with virtually everything you said. In particular the 10k service interval is too low and costs a lot more than other cars I've owned. With regards the adaptive cuise control, mine works particularly well so I would get the dealer to sort out. Paint chips as well are more noticable than my previous Audi.

All in all a very good car but sad to say its going in a couple of months and a new car is on the way

With the ACC, have you never had any occasions of unexpected braking, even for example around gentle m-way RH bends? Mine is sufficiently unpredictable that I keep my fingers on the cruise stalk, which rather defeats the object! Oh well, hopefull it'll be sorted today.

Are you sticking with Lexus, or moving on?

With the ACC, have you never had any occasions of unexpected braking, even for example around gentle m-way RH bends? Mine is sufficiently unpredictable that I keep my fingers on the cruise stalk, which rather defeats the object! Oh well, hopefull it'll be sorted today.

Are you sticking with Lexus, or moving on?

I've only had one occasion when the brakes have come on for no apparant reason which scared the life out of me. Other than that its been perfect.

Because of the miles I do and to be environmently friendly (my excuss anyway) I've ordered a GS450H SEL. I borrowed one for a week and the performance is breathtaking. Got around 30mpg on the motorway cruise but it dropped to around 20mpg using the power on A roads. Lower road tax though so I thought I'd get one know before the Government bans such luxuries

If you're in a hybrid, the govt luurves you...

Nice choice!

Just heard back from Reading- they've done a full set-up of the adaptive cruise, and he said if that doesn't work, they'll fit a new radar.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links