Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've tried this earlier on another post with no response so i thouht it give its own topic sorry for the repetition.

I'm trying to find 4 new boots for my 250SEL and struggling

The originals have done 30k and are being replaced, as the dealer is changing the

wheels due to corrosion. The originals are Bridgestone Potenza 225/45R17 and 245/45R17

the original pattern is an RE050 but the rears it cant get anywhere so i have been

offered the the same Bridgestones as asymetrical RE050A does this make any difference?

The RE050A's seem alot cheaper, or am i just worrying over nothing.

Infinity

the difference is when the tyres are fitted. asymetrical tyres can run properly clockwise or anticlockwise. when you look at the tyres fitted to the right and left wheels they tread patterns will not be symetrical

a rough look would be asymetrical= <(( left tyre <(( right tyre

normal symetrical tyre= <)) left tyre ((> right tyre

so re050's can only be mounted on the rim one way and will be marked inner and outer. re050A's will not be marked inner and outer so can be mounted either to run clockwise or anticlockwise.

asymetrical tyres always look a bit odd to me as if theyve been fitted wrong but the advantage is they can then be mounted on any corner of a car.

confusing but hope this helps :geek:

asymetrical tyres always look a bit odd to me as if theyve been fitted wrong but the advantage is they can then be mounted on any corner of a car.

I was told by several tyre fitting places that asymetrical and "normal" tyres should not ideally be fitted to the same axle.

the difference is when the tyres are fitted. asymetrical tyres can run properly clockwise or anticlockwise. when you look at the tyres fitted to the right and left wheels they tread patterns will not be symetrical

so re050's can only be mounted on the rim one way and will be marked inner and outer. re050A's will not be marked inner and outer so can be mounted either to run clockwise or anticlockwise.

Asymetric tyres WILL be marked inner and outer and as such can only be fitted to the rim in one way. They have a different tread pattern on the inside to the pattern on the outside.

Asymetric tyres WILL be marked inner and outer and as such can only be fitted to the rim in one way. They have a different tread pattern on the inside to the pattern on the outside.

Exactly what I was thinking. Symmetrical tyres will have a direction-of-rotation arrow instead.

My IS220d was supplied from a Lexus dealer with one asymmetric Dunlop and three symmetric Bridgestones. I almost came off the road more times than I can remember, the steering was feedback free and scarily light; I just thought the car had crap handling. I fitted four Continentals and it is much more responsive although why did Lexus fit such a quick steering rack to a car with such poor handling? It just means you can upset the chassis quicker.

My IS220d was supplied from a Lexus dealer with one asymmetric Dunlop and three symmetric Bridgestones. I almost came off the road more times than I can remember, the steering was feedback free and scarily light; I just thought the car had crap handling. I fitted four Continentals and it is much more responsive although why did Lexus fit such a quick steering rack to a car with such poor handling? It just means you can upset the chassis quicker.

I assume that it was a Lexus Approved Used. Did you not notice during test drive or when inspecting the car prior to deciding that you were interested in purchasing it?

Prior to purchasing my 430 I saw that the rear o/s was asymetric....the other 3 were normal. As the fronts on my 300 trade-in were the same size and with more tread I got them to swap them from my old car to the "new" one.

@markoose - I thought the new IS was supposed to have great handling. Does it not? What are you comparing it to?

@dave1 - he probably didn't get the chance to push it on the test drive :) I got caught out with this a bit too. When I test drove my IS200 I thought it felt very sporting, but that was driving at normal speeds. The suspension seemed very good and the steering felt sharp. When I pushed it hard on a back road at the weekend I wasn't too impressed. Things might improve when I get new tyres all round on Saturday...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links