Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Charging Problem Iphone 3g Via Grom

Mates,

while looking around where to buy one of Apples new iPhones 3G to replace the iPod nano in my car, I came along with a strange thing which might be interesting for you.

As you know I'm running the Grom ipod interface in my car which works fantastig since december last year :wub: but

The new Iphone is NOT charging over the Grom box

What is the background of this:

First of all, it's NOT a problem of the Grom interface

The reason found someone in the my.is board where if posted the Grom solution in the beginning of this year too.

The guy wrote:

Just a heads up for anyone with the iPhone 3G.. this adapter currently doesn't support charging for the 3G.. this is due to Apple removing 12v charging from the iPhone, thus USB charging (5v) only works now. This means the 3G can not be charged via the grom cable because Apple changed the pinout to only use the USB power and not the Firewire power pins. None of my chargers will charge the iPhone 3G, so this is not unique to Grom, just and FYI to everyone.

I'm not sure if GROM is currently working on this - but I think they will, if more Lex people will own a 3G...

Cheers from sunny Berlin

Sonnet

I'm sure they can do an adapter very quickly. Not that they should need to..... apple announced abandoning FireWire charging (12v) over 3 years ago.

The iPod connector has two sets of power lines - one for USB and one for Firewire. Years ago, apple decided to only support charging via USB, but it continued charging via Firewire for compatibility reasons. They did however, announce this move.

apple decided to completely remove support for Firewire charging on the Iphone 3G due to a lot of changes having to be made to the hardware and they had to at some point anyway.

Accessory Companies have had ample time to change/develop this charging method or incorporate both.

It is a shame those accessory makers now caught with incompatible hardware made bad decisions.

Useful info.

I currently use an Ipod Classic, through a Sony interface into my Sony headunit.

I had planned on getting a 3G Iphone as soon as I can get out of my current contract.

So this mean I will not be able to charge it from mine either, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Gromaudio placed a new statement regarding the charging problem of the Iphone 3G on their web site

31-July-2008 On compatibility of GROMAudio iPod Stereo Adapter with iPhone 3G

Dear Visitor of the website, Due to a number of received inquiries on compatibility of GROMAudio iPod Adapter with iPhone 3G, recently introduced by Apple, we would like to clarify that they are compatible.

When iPhone 3G is connected to a car stereo system via GROMAudio Adapter it supports all functions related to music listening and ensures CD quality sound. Using our device, iPhone 3G can be controlled through car stereo buttons or steering wheel controls.

Please note: that because of a charging technology change, the iPhone 3G will not be charged by GROMAudio iPod Adapter. We are working on a solution and will have first compatible devices by end of August.

Should you have any other questions or would like more information on our products, please do not hesitate to contact us We will be delighted to assist you.

GROMAudio Support Team

All the best

Sonnet