Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Fluid Levels

GSSPORT

Hi

A bit of a silly question, but it has left me a little confused.

I have MK2 GS300 2000 model.

I recently changed the brake fluid level a couple of weeks ago and have seen some strange happenings!!!!

When the car is cold and the ignition turned off the brake fluid level is where is should be...at the max level.

However, when I turn the ignition on the brake servo sucks in fluid and the levels reduces at the min level.

So, I'm a little confused should the brake fluid level be at the max level, after the servo has sucked in the fluid OR the Min level after the servo has sucked in the level.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Is the brake warning light coming on. If so just try toppping up a little.

I had this symptom a few weeks ago, first it was suggested that new pads had been installed and it had not been topped up!!

I then had the warnig light on occaisionaly, no apparent reason.

I then got the brake light, VSC off and the buzzer.

There are a few similar symptoms, does the brake pedal go down if whaen stationary yuor foot is on the brake

After a few attempts I ended up in Lexus Stockport and as noted on this site it was the Master Braake Cylinder. At Lexus circa £1,750 to be fixed.

Before you get that far I suggest you replace the brake fluid, if you ave not aleady done so and give them a good flushing out.

It turns out that my Dec 1998 model already had a second hand unit on and it was this that had gone.

• 6 months later...
Is the brake warning light coming on. If so just try toppping up a little.

I had this symptom a few weeks ago, first it was suggested that new pads had been installed and it had not been topped up!!

I then had the warnig light on occaisionaly, no apparent reason.

I then got the brake light, VSC off and the buzzer.

There are a few similar symptoms, does the brake pedal go down if whaen stationary yuor foot is on the brake

After a few attempts I ended up in Lexus Stockport and as noted on this site it was the Master Braake Cylinder. At Lexus circa £1,750 to be fixed.

Before you get that far I suggest you replace the brake fluid, if you ave not aleady done so and give them a good flushing out.

It turns out that my Dec 1998 model already had a second hand unit on and it was this that had gone.

post-26132-1241202972.jpg

Here is what you will see on the top of your master cylinder regards filling and checking it.

When the pedal is pressed the amount of times it says the fluid level will show you if it needs topping up if you fill it from cold when the car is started and run it will overflow (it happened to me ) it is not like an ordinary master cylinder because of the ABS etc.

I have just had a new cylinder fitted so I know these dam things fairly well, and what you have got as regards your levels is correct IE showing max with engine off and left for a while and Min after you have started the car because the pump has put the fluid into the braking system

Norman

• Like 1

Agreed.

There is an electric pump which fills a nitrogen-pressurised cylinder with brake fluid. If you watch the master cylinder as you switch the ignition on, you'll hear the pump run, and you'll see the level drop.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links