Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Worth Having Lexus Do My 70000 Mile Service And Waterpump?

Hi guys,

My cars due its 70k service, and its also got a sqeaky water pump (at least i think its the water pump). Was thinking of getting the timing belt and water pump changed at the same time as the service. Only thing is, my car is a 2003, so obviously its out of warranty, but is it still worth having work done by lexus so I get a stamp in the book? Any ideas that little lot will cost? By 60k service last year was 560 quid, but I know thats a big service, but I dont really want to be giving away a small fortune for an oil change and a new belt and pump.

Out of interest has anyone else had a sqeaky water pump pulley. Its definatly that pulley cos if I spray grease on the back of the pulley, the noise goes away for a bit, but then always comes back.

Cheers guys

Gazza

If it has full Lexus history and you are selling soon, keep the history full. If you plan to keep the car for a while, find a good local independant garage. They will do just as good a job at a fraction of the price! Once a car reaches a certain age, a full history, though always nice, adds no real value to the car. IMHO.

I know, I just can't decide how long Im gonna keep the car for, I'd love to keep it forever but the way the tax and fuel is going I don't know what to do. Il ask my local garage for a quote I think, and Il get one off Lexus. And being Lexus Cardiff, they always seem to be more expensive, so I'd better mortgage by organs before I ring them.

Il have to have a think.

Thanks for the replies guys, although you have replied freakishly quick, me thinks somepeople arn't doing much work,lol. (although Im skiving aswell cos the boss is away for a few days,lol)

Cheers

Gazza

I would agree with everyone else except for one point - I've heard of people phoning their main Lexus dealer and getting a good quote for the timing belt to be done on the older IS model.

I think it might be worth phoning them just to see, but if the price was very expensive then I'd leave it to the independent places.

Thats a good idea for getting the stamp. About how much should i expect to pay for a main dealer 70k service? Obviously it should be a substantial amount less than the 560 I paid for the 60k cos theres no plugs to change and stuff. I think maybe thats what Il do and get cambelt changed locally by an independant. As long as I keep receipts for work done then I dont see a problem.

Thanks for the replies

Gazza

Ring round all the dealers in your area. They'll all be different prices and will likely offer to price match/beat if you let them do the work. Try some independant garages too - if you can get it close to an independant price from a dealer, go with the dealer as you'll get the full backup and a courtesy car to keep you moving whilst it's being done. If it doesn't come close, go independant.

You might find that the Lexus dealer won't stamp the service book unless the cambelt has been changed as the car hasn't been serviced to Lexus guidelines (i.e. belt changed at 60k). (Edgware Road told me this as I was in a similar situation to you. Maybe better to get belt changed ifrst then get serviced by Lexus dealer?

When I rang to book my 60k last year, I asked about the cambelt, and she said that it didn't need to be done til 100k. So maybe the change in mileage didn't get as far as Cardiff.lol.

Il ask my friend who owns a garage and see what he says, then Il make my mind up.

Thanks for all the replies

Gazza

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links