Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Judder, Whilst Under Light Breaking?

the problem I have is nowhere that I trust has a device to measure the disc or DTI as you put it. The only place likely to is Kwik Fit and well their reputation is hardly admirable, will bite the bullet and get the front discs changed then see where I'm left after that me thinks.

WIM ? Their website says they do braking stuff, and you could PM Tony to ask him if it's something that they could do. Not a million miles away from Milton Keynes :winky:

the problem I have is nowhere that I trust has a device to measure the disc or DTI as you put it. The only place likely to is Kwik Fit and well their reputation is hardly admirable, will bite the bullet and get the front discs changed then see where I'm left after that me thinks.

Hi

If you are able to safely remove a road wheel and have the correct tools ie a D.T.I. (Dial Test Indicator reading in thousands of an inch) cost £20 ish and a magnetic base holder cost £25 ish you can very easily check for disc warpage/runout yourself.

If there is an interest i will detail how i did it by taking a series of step by step photos and upload them (once i've mastered how to upload photos) for use by peeps on this site.

I will upload my photos detailing this fault if someone can explain to me how to do it ??

There's a handy guide here

Thanks for the guide.

Will show it to my computer literate daughter and she i'm sure will understand what you're talking about and upload the photos on my behalf.

Hi

To cut a long story short my daughter tried using PHOTOBUCKET as per their site instructions and my computer went nuts - to stop it going bananas i had to switch the power off and re-boot again.

She also tried your second method ie click on IMG code below photo- this we also failed on as i don't have this code below any of my photos. All my photos are .jpg and kept in files under MY PHOTOS in my computer,

Can you suggest another way that will work for me!

To cut a long story short my daughter tried using PHOTOBUCKET as per their site instructions and my computer went nuts - to stop it going bananas i had to switch the power off and re-boot again.

She also tried your second method ie click on IMG code below photo- this we also failed on as i don't have this code below any of my photos. All my photos are .jpg and kept in files under MY PHOTOS in my computer,

Can you suggest another way that will work for me!

What exactly did your computer do, you say it "went nuts", but at what stage in Photobucket was that, and what did the computer do ?

The instructions about the "IMG" code only work once you've got your photos uploaded onto a website, it won't work with your photos being only on your computer. There are loads of photo hosting websites, but Photobucket should work ok.

Hi there,

Just had identical problems with my 99 SE. Exactly the same symptoms, judder feeding back to the steering wheel at speeds from 80 down to around 50, but not really that noticeable down to 0. Mine gradually got worse over a two month period. If it is warped discs you may notice a pulsing as the wheels rotate as you come to a stop on a very smooth bit of road as I did.

Anyway, long story short, I bit the bullet and got new front discs and pads from the Lexus dealer, gave the car and bits to my local garage to fit and hoped.

When I got the car back the braking is now totally smooth at all speeds, like a Lexus should be, job done, 219 quid in parts and 60 quid labour. B)

Only thing is that sometimes if I tap the brakes when reversing I get the clunk as you describe but that is just the pads moving a few millimetres in the calipers, but I have read that they all do that <_<

Hope that helps ..

Picking up on your comment "If it is a warped disc you may notice a pulsing as the wheels rotate as you come to a stop on a smooth bit of road".

This was the problem i had about 3 months ago and i also thought it was a warped disc at the front. I then proceeded to strip the N/Side front first and checked it for warping/runout with my trusty D.T.I. and found it was well within the 0.002" (two thousandth of an inch) tolerance zone quoted in the workshop manual. I also cleaned and checked the brake pads and calipers - all was in order. The only issue i had was a wear lip on the disc of approx 2 to 3mm on the outer and inner radiouses-this is caused by normal use ie:-the brake pads wearing the disc material as the brakes are applied. I checked how much meat was left on the disc and found again it was within tolerance so thinking that maybe the lip was the cause i carefully ground them down to the same level as the rest of the disc using my hand grinder (not recommended for peeps with a nervous disposition or shaky hands). I then carefully put everything back as the manual states in reverse order using Copper Grease in the appropriate areas.

I then stripped and checked the O/Side front - this checked out exactly as per the N/Side so i carried out the same work as above and then went for a run - S!!!t the problem was still there.

Next i proceeded to strip the O/Side rear - again eveything was in good order and as per Workshop Manual tolerances other than the wear lips on the disc which also received the same treatment as the fronts.

Finally i stripped the N/Side rear and to my relief immediately saw the cause of my brake pulsing problem - i had a faulty disc - the disc forging had a hard bit of metal embedded/cast into it (approx 10mm wide x 30mm long). The pulsing was caused by the hard metal ie the softer metal either side of it had worn down by normal use of the brake pad leaving the hard bit protruding slightly. As the brakes were applied and the wheel was turning the hard bit intermittently came into contact with the brake pad which in turn caused the pulsing.

I will upload my photos detailing this fault if someone can explain to me how to do it ??

To get the car back on the road and to see if i had sorted the problem i carefully ground the hard bit of metal down to slightly below the level of the softer part of the brake disc and put everything back and went for a run - the pulsing had gone and i have had no problems since - job done.

Moral of the story is 1) don't assume its the fronts that are at fault 2) Always check everything carefully and 3) You don't have to spend hundreds of pounds sorting it out !!!!!

I apologise for the lengthy nature of this post but maybe my experience will help others in the future.

Here as promised is a photo of my faulty N/Side rear disc.

IMG]http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/jlgriffiths/LexusBrakeDisc006.jpg

Hi there,

Just had identical problems with my 99 SE. Exactly the same symptoms, judder feeding back to the steering wheel at speeds from 80 down to around 50, but not really that noticeable down to 0. Mine gradually got worse over a two month period. If it is warped discs you may notice a pulsing as the wheels rotate as you come to a stop on a very smooth bit of road as I did.

Anyway, long story short, I bit the bullet and got new front discs and pads from the Lexus dealer, gave the car and bits to my local garage to fit and hoped.

When I got the car back the braking is now totally smooth at all speeds, like a Lexus should be, job done, 219 quid in parts and 60 quid labour. B)

Only thing is that sometimes if I tap the brakes when reversing I get the clunk as you describe but that is just the pads moving a few millimetres in the calipers, but I have read that they all do that <_<

Hope that helps ..

Picking up on your comment "If it is a warped disc you may notice a pulsing as the wheels rotate as you come to a stop on a smooth bit of road".

This was the problem i had about 3 months ago and i also thought it was a warped disc at the front. I then proceeded to strip the N/Side front first and checked it for warping/runout with my trusty D.T.I. and found it was well within the 0.002" (two thousandth of an inch) tolerance zone quoted in the workshop manual. I also cleaned and checked the brake pads and calipers - all was in order. The only issue i had was a wear lip on the disc of approx 2 to 3mm on the outer and inner radiouses-this is caused by normal use ie:-the brake pads wearing the disc material as the brakes are applied. I checked how much meat was left on the disc and found again it was within tolerance so thinking that maybe the lip was the cause i carefully ground them down to the same level as the rest of the disc using my hand grinder (not recommended for peeps with a nervous disposition or shaky hands). I then carefully put everything back as the manual states in reverse order using Copper Grease in the appropriate areas.

I then stripped and checked the O/Side front - this checked out exactly as per the N/Side so i carried out the same work as above and then went for a run - S!!!t the problem was still there.

Next i proceeded to strip the O/Side rear - again eveything was in good order and as per Workshop Manual tolerances other than the wear lips on the disc which also received the same treatment as the fronts.

Finally i stripped the N/Side rear and to my relief immediately saw the cause of my brake pulsing problem - i had a faulty disc - the disc forging had a hard bit of metal embedded/cast into it (approx 10mm wide x 30mm long). The pulsing was caused by the hard metal ie the softer metal either side of it had worn down by normal use of the brake pad leaving the hard bit protruding slightly. As the brakes were applied and the wheel was turning the hard bit intermittently came into contact with the brake pad which in turn caused the pulsing.

To get the car back on the road and to see if i had sorted the problem i carefully ground the hard bit of metal down to slightly below the level of the softer part of the brake disc and put everything back and went for a run - the pulsing had gone and i have had no problems since - job done.

Moral of the story is 1) don't assume its the fronts that are at fault 2) Always check everything carefully and 3) You don't have to spend hundreds of pounds sorting it out !!!!!

I apologise for the lengthy nature of this post but maybe my experience will help others in the future.

LexusBrakeDisc006.jpg

Fixed the link for pic ;) you missed out the first [ before IMG

Hi i have the same sort of problem but only just changed all my brakes and discs after about a month it just seems to come back they were bedded in ok

i used mintex discs and pads cost a few bob i think fitting is easy but bedding them in is a pain

I have noticed if i pump the breaks the shudder goes away for a little while sometimes its fine others i feel them shaking

if i break light it shudders but if its firm its fine

when i had warped discs it would only shudder at high speeds so i dont think its that

I know its driving me nuts tho as i love my car and hate anything not feeling right

I think one of my pistons is faulty and its just not breaking true

got a mate in leeds who has a pair of calipers for me going to try a few things out if i get any joy i will post what i find

if anyone has any advise that would be great

Thanks Bigdave

check the tyres are not an irregular shape. if you had warped discs at first they can wear the tyre unevenly making it sort of go egg shaped. jackit up spin it and use a brick or sometring close to the tyre to see if it is spinning true. sometimes shape of a uneven worn tyre can shock you.

basic check that could save you running round in circles ghanging discs and pads at expense of your wallet

Hi there,

Hope that helps ..

LexusBrakeDisc006.jpg

Fixed the link for pic ;) you missed out the first [ before IMG

Thanks M8.

Can anybody out there explain to me why two of my posts have disappeared from this thread?

ie Sep 18th 12:09am and Sept 18th 10:40pm

Have i been a naughty boy and been saying something i should'nt have???????????

Can anybody out there explain to me why two of my posts have disappeared from this thread?

I can see posts from you at those times in this thread, post numbers 23 and 28. Can you still not see them ?

Yes i can now!

When i checked previously they wer'ent there for some reason??

Could be a problem with my computer system ?

Another thing i've noticed is the way that these threads now detail all replies as one liners which you have to click on to see the full info and not the full replies in date order as previously.

Can i change this as i preferred the old system.

I can see posts from you at those times in this thread, post numbers 23 and 28. Can you still not see them ?

Yes i can now!

When i checked previously they wer'ent there for some reason??

Could be a problem with my computer system ?

Another thing i've noticed is the way that these threads now detail all replies as one liners which you have to click on to see the full info and not the full replies in date order as previously.

Can i change this as i preferred the old system.

Sorted - i worked out how to change the format OPTIONS-DISPLAY-MODES-STANDARD. :winky:

Hi i have the same sort of problem but only just changed all my brakes and discs after about a month it just seems to come back they were bedded in ok

i used mintex discs and pads cost a few bob i think fitting is easy but bedding them in is a pain

I have noticed if i pump the breaks the shudder goes away for a little while sometimes its fine others i feel them shaking

if i break light it shudders but if its firm its fine

when i had warped discs it would only shudder at high speeds so i dont think its that

I know its driving me nuts tho as i love my car and hate anything not feeling right

I think one of my pistons is faulty and its just not breaking true

got a mate in leeds who has a pair of calipers for me going to try a few things out if i get any joy i will post what i find

if anyone has any advise that would be great

Thanks Bigdave

check the tyres are not an irregular shape. if you had warped discs at first they can wear the tyre unevenly making it sort of go egg shaped. jackit up spin it and use a brick or sometring close to the tyre to see if it is spinning true. sometimes shape of a uneven worn tyre can shock you.

basic check that could save you running round in circles ghanging discs and pads at expense of your wallet

Full set of new tires good ones

New pads discs the works only 2 months ago still there lol

cheers tho had thought it could be that till they got changed

Its just a mystery maybe i should get scooby doo on this one

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links