Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help! Clock, Display, Info, Climate, Satnav & Aircon Buttons L

HELP!

I have been "tweeking" the Hidden Menus looking for a fix to the Nanny Option where features get greyed out once on the move and mave managed to completely lock-out all buttons on the TFT Display Module, these include the 5 immediately below the screen and the Aircon and Temp buttons, the only button which is operational is the Hazard Lights.

I went intot the 2nd hidden menu by repeating the "Hold Info Turn on Lights" etc thing twice and changed a setting which was set to "480xl", don't know what I changed it to but now cannot get back into menus as Info Button is disabled.

Result is I have limited satnav and no climate.

HELP!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried disconnecting the whole unit from the power supply ? Maybe that would reset it to default factory settings. Another thought is maybe there is a 'reset button' somewhere on the unit that resets everything to default settings. On some aftermarket satnavs this is a switch behind a small hole in the side of the unit that is pushed with a paperclip......

Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Disconnected Screen and left for a couple of hours, resulted in No SatNav (up until this point Sat Nav was working via TouchScreen)

2. Disconnected Sat Nav ECU in boot and left over night - No Change

3. Removed ECU and tried to identify Battery as per other posts, this model has a single circuit board and no obvious Battery

4. Sent unit to Chris at CheapToyotaParts for a reset but upon its return nothing had changed

5. Connected a logic probe to various parts on the ECU Circuit board to drain any detected voltages, 2 areas were giving a reading on 1/2 volt, drained each independently to 0 volts, still no joy

6. Battery has been left off car for 2 weeks - No Change

I am now looking at replacing the ECU £1800 or the screen £2200

My main concern is the Park Lane Lexus Service Centre (actually in Battersea) have no idea what the problem is and want to replace the screen as that is where the symptoms are but I am 90% sure it is the ECU.

At these ridiculous prices I cannot afford to replace either, never mind guessing which one it is which may result in having to buy both.

I understand that the Lexus returns policy on "Computer" equipment eg the ECU is Non-Returnable, although I am sure if I purchase it from CheapToyotaParts the "Distance Selling" rules will apply meaning they will have to accept a return for absolutely no reason.

You didn't admit to Lexus that, as result of your fiddling, you caused this problem did you? I mean surely it was OK one day..and then the next...well...broken?

I know what I would have said and then insisted they fix it - avoiding all this 'headache' you're now having. Honesty has its place - but really ;)

You didn't admit to Lexus that, as result of your fiddling, you caused this problem did you? I mean surely it was OK one day..and then the next...well...broken?

I know what I would have said and then insisted they fix it - avoiding all this 'headache' you're now having. Honesty has its place - but really ;)

As the car was out of warranty I had no choice but to "come clean". To be honest I was expecting an answer along the lines of "Not a problem sir, we will plug in our black box of tricks, reset the doo dah and that will be 1/2 hours labour" - how wrong was I.

My "Dream" car of at 400H is now looking more like a Nightmare and Lexus are loosing yet another customer

As the car was out of warranty I had no choice but to "come clean". To be honest I was expecting an answer along the lines of "Not a problem sir, we will plug in our black box of tricks, reset the doo dah and that will be 1/2 hours labour" - how wrong was I.

My "Dream" car of at 400H is now looking more like a Nightmare and Lexus are loosing yet another customer

I'm sorry Chap, but I'm going to disagree with you on this...

You broke the car and when you took it to Lexus to fix, the cost has put you off. What are Lexus supposed t do? Give you a freebie fix for you breaking your car? I don't think you can fault Lexus for diagnosing the fix for a fault that you created - albeit its more expensive to fix than you would have imagined but the point is you were fiddling with menus you perhaps really shouldn't have, then when you broke it - expect Lexus to fix it for little or no cost?

Sorry, but its not their fault now is it?

I can only suggest is you try another dealer (from a different parent company) and see what they say?

Sorry to hear about your predicament, but some functions and menus are protected from the User for a reason...

You broke the car and when you took it to Lexus to fix, the cost has put you off. What are Lexus supposed t do? Give you a freebie fix for you breaking your car? I don't think you can fault Lexus for diagnosing the fix for a fault that you created - albeit its more expensive to fix than you would have imagined but the point is you were fiddling with menus you perhaps really shouldn't have, then when you broke it - expect Lexus to fix it for little or no cost?

I can only suggest is you try another dealer (from a different parent company) and see what they say?

Sorry to hear about your predicament, but some functions and menus are protected from the User for a reason...

I can see both sides to this problem. Yes, maybe he shouldn't have been playing with the hidden menus, but maybe he didn't know what the worst outcome could be!? If he found the 'fix' on the hidden menus then we'd all be praising him and asking him how.... So I wouldn't give someone the third degree about it...

Anyhow back on topic, Lexus shouldn't have to give any freebies, but they should certainly speak with the appropriate technical people to find another suitable fix (maybe software related) rather than just saying, we'll just put a new unit in. Sounds like they haven't diagnosed anything, just gone for the easiest option to them and not the most sensible. There is obviously nothing wrong with the hardware, the car simply needs to be 'reset' somehow.

Hats off for coming clean, but try Lexus GB or your dealer principal to see if they can get intouch with the guys that build these things. I'm sure they'd understand that a £2k fix isn't the first port of call.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on...

It wasn't my intention to come off as if I was giving the guy a 'hard time' - I was just trying to point out the unrealistic expectation that he has of Lexus fixing his car...

Yes Lexus have top notch Customer Service and all that - but there has to be a limit and (IMHO) this is a situation that is entirely of his own making and unfortunately, to fix it there will be a cost.

I can see both sides to this problem. Yes, maybe he shouldn't have been playing with the hidden menus, but maybe he didn't know what the worst outcome could be!? If he found the 'fix' on the hidden menus then we'd all be praising him and asking him how.... So I wouldn't give someone the third degree about it...

Anyhow back on topic, Lexus shouldn't have to give any freebies, but they should certainly speak with the appropriate technical people to find another suitable fix (maybe software related) rather than just saying, we'll just put a new unit in. Sounds like they haven't diagnosed anything, just gone for the easiest option to them and not the most sensible. There is obviously nothing wrong with the hardware, the car simply needs to be 'reset' somehow.

Hats off for coming clean, but try Lexus GB or your dealer principal to see if they can get intouch with the guys that build these things. I'm sure they'd understand that a £2k fix isn't the first port of call.

Update:

I have tried some new disks as other posts have suggested these possibly flash the firmware and reset the device alas this did not work.

What is so infuriating is Lexus GB's attitude to this, they keep quoting "Our service centre say the screen needs replacing so you need to replace the screen" when it obviously is not the screen.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer of these units and they reffuse to talk to me saying they only deal with the car manufacturer. I approached Lexus re them sending the unit on to them but they refused stating that "They did not want customers driving around with a hole in their dash" again demonstrating that they are not listening to me and are still insisting the screen is at fault. Also ignoring that fact that I CANNOT USE MY CAR becuase the windscreen keeps steaming up!

What I need is a "test" unit so I can confirm that this is what is at fault, my worry here is that I have tweeked some part of the CAN system which is preventing the Nav ECU and Screen Unit from communicating correctly.

Paying £1800 for a new ECU just to find it is not at fault is obvioulsy not an option, I need some way of testing it to confirm this.

Equally frustrating is that in the US there appears to be an SDRAM Reset Disk which resets the NAV ECU but Lexus GB deny all knowledge of any such disk and are not willing to contact their US conterparts.

This is really starting to get me down, and as soon as I resolve this I see no other option but to sell and buiy an Audi :yawn:

Update:

I have tried some new disks as other posts have suggested these possibly flash the firmware and reset the device alas this did not work.

What is so infuriating is Lexus GB's attitude to this, they keep quoting "Our service centre say the screen needs replacing so you need to replace the screen" when it obviously is not the screen.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer of these units and they reffuse to talk to me saying they only deal with the car manufacturer. I approached Lexus re them sending the unit on to them but they refused stating that "They did not want customers driving around with a hole in their dash" again demonstrating that they are not listening to me and are still insisting the screen is at fault. Also ignoring that fact that I CANNOT USE MY CAR becuase the windscreen keeps steaming up!

What I need is a "test" unit so I can confirm that this is what is at fault, my worry here is that I have tweeked some part of the CAN system which is preventing the Nav ECU and Screen Unit from communicating correctly.

Paying £1800 for a new ECU just to find it is not at fault is obvioulsy not an option, I need some way of testing it to confirm this.

Equally frustrating is that in the US there appears to be an SDRAM Reset Disk which resets the NAV ECU but Lexus GB deny all knowledge of any such disk and are not willing to contact their US conterparts.

This is really starting to get me down, and as soon as I resolve this I see no other option but to sell and buiy an Audi :yawn:

Try phoning one of the US dealers or posting on http://my.is/forums/ regarding this SDRAM disk. If it will work on your car, i'd suggest buying it to try!

Else tell Lexus your not driving the car with a hole in the dash, and you'll wait till they get the screen back...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links