Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having had my lexus IS220D SE since it first arrived in 2006 I am now in the process of ordering a new company car. As much I have enjoyed the lexus - MM system in particular) its looking like I will be switching to a BMW 320D or 520D. The reasons are

1. The lease costs of BMW are so much lower than lexus

2. The CO2 emissions are also loads lower which makes the car even cheaper for me

3. I am still disappointed with the fuel economy of the lexus

4. I still hate the way that 6th gear is completely useless below 80mph

having done the maths, for me, the 520D SE with similar-ish spec (though not all the luxuries of IS) is lots cheaper for me, in terms of lease costs, tax costs and fuel costs so a bit of a no-brainer really. I test drove a 520D and the engine/gear ratios seemed better and, to me, it seemed a better driving experience. Shame really as I will miss my lexus.

Having had my lexus IS220D SE since it first arrived in 2006 I am now in the process of ordering a new company car. As much I have enjoyed the lexus - MM system in particular) its looking like I will be switching to a BMW 320D or 520D. The reasons are

1. The lease costs of BMW are so much lower than lexus

2. The CO2 emissions are also loads lower which makes the car even cheaper for me

3. I am still disappointed with the fuel economy of the lexus

4. I still hate the way that 6th gear is completely useless below 80mph

having done the maths, for me, the 520D SE with similar-ish spec (though not all the luxuries of IS) is lots cheaper for me, in terms of lease costs, tax costs and fuel costs so a bit of a no-brainer really. I test drove a 520D and the engine/gear ratios seemed better and, to me, it seemed a better driving experience. Shame really as I will miss my lexus.

Good luck mate. You really won't go wrong with either 3 or 5. The only thing to bear in mind is that your new Beemer will melt into the car parks and be un-noticeable...other than that (an the fact that it has fewer toys) you'll not regret it!! Just make sure you go for the HiFi loudspeaker system, or better still L7. The standard system is a bit lacking!! And go for the USB port - you can't actually play MP3's through the 5 series CD Changer, but you can from the head unit CD slot. Mine dosn't have USB or HiFi speakers, and I do miss not being abl to play MP3 through the CDC....they are doing free Business Navigation on the 520d...and the Bluetooth does come with full wiring for a cradle (availabl for £20 from ebay) in the arm rest.

The Bluetooth allows you to scroll down the Phonebook ON YOUR PHONE (not actually having to download them to the car), and both Voice quality and pairing are excellnt!!

Other than that, the reduction/lack of Road noise and more comfortable ride will make it all the more pleasurable, and for a big car, it handles and moves like a sports car!! The boot is cavrnous too...

Before you jump ship, I'm just jumping back into Lexus Land after a six year Audi and Mazda gap, having previously had an IS200. The dealer's quarter is fast approaching and with a model upgrade coming up too, there are some good deals to be had if you take a current-spec car before the end of September. I know that the issue of lease costs is only one of your considerations, but try these guys www.yvf.co.uk for a quote and you might get a reasonable surprise; it might then sway you re the other considerations!

Hi to all btw: excellent site and certainly gave me loads of griff on the SEL Auto, before I took the plunge - put me totally off the oil burner version as well! :D

Thanks for the advice scarlett pimpernel and I am seriously considering the 520D M Sport Auto with satnav/bluetooth as, surprisingly, it will still cost me less than the manual IS 220d even though list price is much more.

shytalkz, unfortunatly i have to order through a specific lease company and all prices are fixed with no options of any negotiations or discussions. I'm guessing that the lease price of bmw's is lower than lexus because they are much more common as company cars (loads of 3 series in our car park and only 3 lexus hence i'm hoping the 520 with M sport will stand out a little more :-))

I'm ordering in november for 2009 delivery so still have a couple of months to explore my options.

im also looking at changing, just got the wife a new fiesta as she is learning to drive and have been given the go ahead to get a two seater, currently debating on the bmw Z4 or the porsche boxster

Z4 is being replaced I believe short/medium term, so they have some offers on them. The Cayman (if you want a hard top) is excellent....drove one 6 months ago and am still smiling!

Thanks for the advice scarlett pimpernel and I am seriously considering the 520D M Sport Auto with satnav/bluetooth as, surprisingly, it will still cost me less than the manual IS 220d even though list price is much more.

shytalkz, unfortunatly i have to order through a specific lease company and all prices are fixed with no options of any negotiations or discussions. I'm guessing that the lease price of bmw's is lower than lexus because they are much more common as company cars (loads of 3 series in our car park and only 3 lexus hence i'm hoping the 520 with M sport will stand out a little more :-))

I'm ordering in november for 2009 delivery so still have a couple of months to explore my options.

is that on a 3yr pcp for both?? how come the bmw is less? coz the future value is higher?

is that on a 3yr pcp for both?? how come the bmw is less? coz the future value is higher?

Its a company car lease rather than personal (via leaseplan) and there prices fluctuate quite regularly and probabbly linked to volumes and resale values etc

the Z4 and the boxster are both available with the removable hard top, at the minute im swayed towards the boxster but am going to have a good look around at two seater sports such as merc and honda ect,

Just thought I would add.

If your in the market for a 2 seat roadster, make sure you drive the Honda S2000, amazing car. Faster than a boxter, outhandles the BMW. 240bhp from a 2.0 Vtec, upto 9000rpm, revolutionary X chassis.

I've had my IS 250 since 2006 also and am thinking of changing my car.

I wanted to ask though, is there a good time or bad time to sell/buy cars?? If i try sell my car next year which i may plan to do, would I be losing more if I try to sell sooner or should i wait longer??

Sorry if it sounds confusing, but thank for any help

i think that next year there is a face lift IS ? which no doubt will have an effect on used car values at the moment its a good time to buy, i have a mate who works for a small ford dealership who hasnt sold a car in 3 weeks,every day each car on the pitch losses them £75 this is made up of wages, running costs ect, i have just bought the wife a 57 plate ford fiesta climate 6500 miles for £5600 which by all accounts was a bargain?

im in the same boat as you im looking at the bmw Z4 seen one on e-bay on one of those car supermarkets for 15k 07 plate 10,000 miles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links