Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows Server 2003 Configuration

Rabster

well title says it all i need some help configuring up my server idealy i want to do the folowing

Log into server from computers inside my current location and outside my current location

manage my email from the server (i own the domain name etc) maybe through exhnage im not clued up on this

Maybe host my website from it ........

create a few users with valid email accounts and remote access but limited controll of the server

i really am stuck now lol

sorry put in wrong section meant for the club lounge not here sorry

As separate packages or using Small Business Server? Its a bit easier with SBS but you'll get your head around either once you are installing.

For the mail, point your DNS A and MX records to your server, on your router forward port 80, and port 25 for your mail as a minimum.

If you are using web access for your mail and not fully using terminal services but remote access through the browser, then they have wizards built in to help with that too and enable the ports you want to use. (you can even force it to setup your router forwarding if it supports upnp fully) If you are allowing pop access you will need port 110 forwarded to the server too. You could use Terminal services for full remote access (Turn on encryption and move the port higher)

I take it you have fixed IP? If not, you will need to use dyndns.org or one of the similar to point your DNS to.

Just a few things look up and get you started if you aren't familiar.

Or, depending what you want to do, try CLARKCONNECT. VPN, IMAP mailserver, web server, antispam - all the usual in a single package and its free for home. (Up to 10 users).

glad to see your back Geoff

ok wow wow wow lol

start with the bits i know for now i no i dont have a fixed ip as orange wont offer it so will need to sort that bit out but for now yes i have DYNDS.org configured correctly i think

all i know is its windows serv er 2003 enterprise edition so im guessing not small buisness lol

got it all installed and running i think i have been through and done all the updte cheking so its all current but im confused as to where to go now

mainly i want to get my email set up at the momemnt my domain host doest allow SMTP sending but does allow pop reciveing so wanted to take full control of my email through my own server

if that makes sense

so i think to start with im going to do 1 thing at a time starting with the email what do i need to configure on the sever for this to work

cheers

Ok, I assume you have copy of MS Exchange with you mentioning it earlier?

Install it and follow all the wizards. They are fairly standard questions about the domain and stuff. Nothing you can't change later if you get a bit confused with .local and stuff.

When Exchange is installed, forward port 25 from your router to the server. It will listen on this port (and talk to other servers on this port too). When you have done that, setup a user in active directory or one of the wizards. Forward me your current IP by pm and I will be able to telnet to the Exchange server and check its working. Once you have that working, setup your MX (mail exchange) records at DYNDNS for your domain.

I'm on and off at the mo or I'd say allow rdp and I'd login.

Before you carry on, just take a quick look at

http://www.clarkconnect.com/

It has everything ready in a packaged up ISO. mail, ftp, web, vpn, etc. It may do the job as it holds your hand right the way through.

No worries on the Microsoft stuff though if you prefer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links