Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Final Drive Gearing

wildybeast

have been thinking of lowering the gearing in the diff to give me some extra power.can i just replace the diff with one from a diferent car or do i have to get some diff internals to replace my existing ones.i have a standard is appart from full decat jun flywheel and k&n filter.janspeed cat back.the diff is not a lsd.ime no speed freak but would like a bit more take off .would it be reving its nut off at 100mph for instance.would i miss 1st gear and what gear ratio would i need to purchace.tried to do a search on the site but nothung came up.maybe you could point me in the right direction.thank ebody.

Don't forget the space after a full stop :lol:

have been thinking of lowering the gearing in the diff to give me some extra power.

I think you are asking the wrong question. Lowering the final drive ratio will not increase power. Period

It may possibly decrease your 0-60 time fractionally (which is what I think you meant),and will alter the

cars top speed, plus will probably use more fuel on the motorway.

As for what is required to change it, other members may help you with a solution.

I would suggest just buying a Supercharger.....

i understand bhp will stay but talk is what will change.supercharger is on my list but lowering the gear ratio would prob be a cheaper job for now.raced a lot of mx bikes in the past and gearing was a major factor in covering ground over a certain track condition.was looking for a final drive ratio for mainly point and squirt purpose.dont do top speed much as i live in the sticks.100mph without reving its gonads off would see me fine.would like to have somekind of travel in first gear to.just a question if anyone has tried this.obviously matt you increased bhp loads so it would spin the gears no brobs and retain ya top speed.when alls said and done a spot on gearing set up can make all the difference .just wandering if anyone has done this and to how good it worked under normal blasts out around the countryside.cheers peeps . :mellow::driving:

havent done much sniffing around at the mo matt but could you tel me what the ratio of your kit is as to the standard is200 (1999 diff not lsd and manual gbox).would like to know how much top end speed i would lose before its in the red zone .dont want to shorten the engine life to much as i do still like the odd casual blast down the a1.havent got a clue what its worth for you to part with it so have you got a price in mind.cheers matey.

The Boris factory kit is a 5.1 :)

I thought of doing similar but with mine being an Auto there wouldn't be much difference / benefit ...

IS200 manual in europe (with 1g-fe engine) 3,909:1

IS200 auto 4,100:1

Altezza Rs200 manual was 4.1 for the early models but supposedly changed in 2001 to a final drive of 4.3,

My 2000 Auto has a A650 gearbox and a 4.3 final drive as far as i've been able to find out :)

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of doing similar but with mine being an Auto there wouldn't be much difference / benefit ...

Altezza Rs200 manual was 4.1 for the early models but supposedly changed in 2001 to a final drive of 4.3,

My 2000 Auto has a A650 gearbox and a 4.3 final drive as far as i've been able to find out :)

HTH

hi noel

i remember seeing your altezza at japfest, i was parked next to ya.(Dan)

quick question i have an open axel and was wondering if i change to the torsion lsd is there much difference in the automatic. can your car do rings correctly,mine just spins the hell out of one tire.

i very rarely do them but would like to be able to slide a bit better. :shifty:

HTH

hi noel

quick question i have an open axel and was wondering if i change to the torsion lsd is there much difference in the automatic. can your car do rings correctly,mine just spins the hell out of one tire.

it can but not on dry tarmac ( small bit of gravel does the trick )... can get very sideways on a damp T-junction but not for the faint hearted as the power delivery is hard to gauge without a clutch ... If you get on the power too early leaving a damp roundabout you could very easily end up facing the wrong way ...

Since i fitted the wider rear wheels and set up the geometry i haven't done a ring as she refuses to break away ....

take it handy :)

HTH

hi noel

it can but not on dry tarmac ( small bit of gravel does the trick )... can get very sideways on a damp T-junction but not for the faint hearted as the power delivery is hard to gauge without a clutch ... If you get on the power too early leaving a damp roundabout you could very easily end up facing the wrong way ...

Since i fitted the wider rear wheels and set up the geometry i haven't done a ring as she refuses to break away ....

take it handy :)

if ya are using the e-shift and leave it in 2nd is there much chance of a bit of a drift.or diffin around a roundabout.

just wondering if its worth changing my differential. thanks for info noel. :question:

if ya are using the e-shift and leave it in 2nd is there much chance of a bit of a drift.or diffin around a roundabout.

just wondering if its worth changing my differential. thanks for info noel. :question:

absolutely ;) , but like i said without a clutch it's hard to balance the power and it could go very wrong... :crying:

we're getting abit :offtopic::blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links