Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Windows Questions

SINGH182

help needed...

ive been given some questions from work as part of a quiz. now im not very computer knowledgeable, and i need a couple of windows related questions answering from anyone that could help me.

questions are:

1) If a user advises that their global address book is out of date what does this mean and what should you do to resolve the problem? (Outlook 2000)

2) How do you check if a user has Admin rights, and if they haven’t how do you give them administrator access

3) If a remote user cannot logon to Windows locally as they have forgotten their password how can you advise them to get around this?

Your help would be very appreciated.

MANY THANKS

singh182

1) Not got a copy of Outlook connected to an Exchange server, so can't remember off the top of my head! :blush: The Global Address List is the list of addresses held within an Exchange server that all users can access, so typically it will include everyone who works for the company, plus a handful of commonly used external addresses.

2) Right-click My Computer, choose Manage. This will bring up a console called Computer Management. In there look for Local Users & Groups, choose Users and find the user in question. Note what groups the user is a member of. Then go into Groups, choose Administrators, and see if there are any matches or if the user appears directly. If the user is either named specifically, or is a member of a group that belongs to Adminstrators, then the user has Admin rights. If not, he doesn't. How to give them adminstrator access should be fairly obvious from that point!

NB: Groups can be nested, ie groups within groups within groups etc. - you might have to do a bit of clicking to be sure!

3) You'll need to reset their password. Find the account, right-click it, and reset the password using the appropriate option from the menu that comes up. Then advise the user of the new password. I assume from the way the question is worded that the user is trying to use Remote Desktop to log on to his own machine back in the office. If it is that the user can't log onto their own machine at home, then there's not much you can do from where you are!

EDIT: the above assumes a local user on a local copy of Windows. The answers are largely the same if you are using an Active Directory domain though, but you will have to use AD Users & Computers to find the accounts, since it probably won't be an account hosted locally that you will be looking for.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links