Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Car

Just phoned my local Toyota/Lexus parts department. Apparently the red and green coolant is available in small bottles (e.g. for top-up) but the pink coolant only comes in 5L containers !

The guy I spoke to said since mine was a 1999 model I'd have red coolant in, and the pink started being used from 2003. Think I will speak to ToyotaGT who will have replaced my coolant when I had my cam belt changed, to check exactly what they put in it.

Spare tank? where is that? :question:

I didn't realise either till someone told me. It's actually behind the radiator, you have to lean over and look behind the radiator to see it and to see the transparent section with the empty/full gauge on it.

Thanks for the info mate. will have a look into mine.

okay well havnt been able to do much this week due to work but checked the coolant last nite , it hasnt moved so I am happy and so is most defo the missus.

We had a bit of rain so have checked the boot for water and yep water is back in the 2 wells so will drill a small hole in each ove rthe weekend to allow drain off and will hopefully get the chance to check certain areas on the boot for leaks.

ok, ripped out the bungs in the rear wells to let the water out and have now also removed the rear boot lining. Okay after pouring the water over the rear windscreen its defo the rear window thats leaking someware. Its more on the passenger side, the water seems to enter the interior and flow down the metal work under the parcel shelf and along the metal work to the top of the quarter panel just under the boot lip. There is a metal extrusion which apears to be a channel and its flow thru that.

so I will do some shoping around and see who can reemove it and reseal it for a good price.

Will let you know how it pans out and see if it cures this leak

jules

[Found the leak yippee. Rite the rear wind screen was removed yesterday at about 10 , took the gent about an hour overall. I had removed the back seats and parcel shelf, side trims the night before ready as he had to cut from the inside.

Once the screen was removed it was evident what was happening and it all became clear. The boot is made up of 4 joins, 2 of the joins are under neath the rear screen and the manufacuting process shows tha when the rear boot is assembled it isint actually waterproof until its dipped primed. When you look at the join carefully the paint has cracked and this allows the water to pass thru the paint and into the boot area just underneath the parcel shelf and along the inside of the channeling then over flows out into the boot. The area was cleaned up and then a shed load of ahesive was put back and the join well covered making sure that adhesive was pressed into the join as well. The screen was then put back and left to set for several hours.

God what a releif, I was rite about the screen , so as I said it was left to dry for several hours and then we did the water test. It had appeared that this only fixed half the fault thou, along the top of the quarter panel is another join in the boot lid lip on both sides of the boot. When we poured water over the screen the parcel shelf underneath no longer got wet which is good news as this was were the bulk of the water was coming in but as the water made its way along the top of the boot rubber lip I noticed droplets of water on on side. Closer inspection showed that the join showed a hairline crack in the paint were the two joins meet. I used some sealer and left it for 30 mins and whoa and behold once this set we did the water test again and sorted no more water leaks. SORTED

Okay, had a mate of mine turn up who works in a body shop and showed him what happened and after a good hunting thru He agreed that when the car was assembled , the car joins were only sealed by the primer and that the joins were not welded in strategic places to give strength to the boot area. We think and this is only a guess when the boot is slammed shut the paint over time has cracked and this allowed water in slowly and over the years with age the crack get bigger thus more water. This is more appaerant if you look at the following idea. Now if you look in the engine bay and boot the colour is different to the outside of the car , its a base coat only thus there was not enough layers of paint to help do the sealing process. Also looking in the boot area they use seam putty to blend the seams together which in the manufacturing process is normal however they never did the top of the quarter panel or undeneath the screen. It only relying on the paint to do the seal so this is a bit poor really as it high lites that the boot area is poorly manufactured.

Okay this brings me to my last issue on the boot. Okay as I mentioned before the the original owners have made attempts to seal with silicon which okay most people would have tried but it didnt work. I exagerated the problem also by removing boot rubber and using more silicon well this has now all got to be removed. I will get a new rubber in the week and strip off the silicon that has been used and what my mate has advised is to seam seal the top of the boot lip area with white/grey tiger seal and blend into the boot lip and smooth down with white spirit as they do in the trade. Once this is dry we will then mask off the quarters and obvious body work and we will then use some paint to dust off the seal to match the rest of the body work. If we do this rite we will not have to use to much paint becauce the effected areas are under the boot rubber and the sides of the quarter which you cannot see when you close the boot lid.

Also due to water ingress in the boot there was signs of surface rust so whilst everying was still drying and setting I cleaned the entire boot area/inner quarters and sprayed it silver. Over the top I know but it looks so much better and cleaner than a dull basecoat !!!!!, no more water/rust stains etc .

Success at last and hopefully once resealing of the body work is done then I can move onto the next issue with the car.

Oh yeah, for the rear windscreen to be removed and fitted cost £50 bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!

will keep you updated

ok,

havn't had much time to check the boot this week as bin busy and we have had a fair bit of rain , so i just poped out to have a look and the boot is bone dry . finally I can stop thinging about the water , yeah got to do a bit of finishing off as regards to sealant but I will do it when dry.

Now the misses has turned round and said the handbrake isint that good so will give that ago on the weekend.

jules

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

Fitted some aftermarket hids to the ladys car last week end 6k versions , much much better lol. Passenger side bulb was an absolute sod to do but got my hands in there in the end.. Slowly have got all the parts done , am guna get the top engine plastics done next as they are in bits ouch.

Misses has pointed out that the cd stops quite frequently now especially if you go any bumps in the road so i will be keeping an eye on that and will see.

jules

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links