Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrading Is250 To Gs450h Good Deal To Be Had?

Not necessarily, if your car is in the sort of condition that means they can stick it straight on their forecourt, you might get a decent p/ex for it (as I recently found with my 6 yr old IS200)

The numbers are bad at the moment, so they really want to do a deal, sort out the figures in your head before you go in and then push them hard to stick to them.

I have a one year old IS250 SE with less than 5k miles. I am thinking of going for a GS450h.

How eager will the dealer be to do me a deal? I guess the IS is going to take a nasty hit.

Cheers

I found Lexus Coventry were good to do a deal with. Tips:

Research. Know what yours is worth

Get your finance lined up so you can confidently make a deal without their lousy finance deal. BTW, if you have a good credit history you can even haggle with your bank by telling them you can get a better deal on moneysupermarket.com - I got my rate down from 10% APR to 7.2% by doing that.

See how keen they are. Make them an offer via the web site. If they ring back in less than an hour they're gagging for it.

Haggle on the phone before you've even seen it. They need to be keen to get you to the show room.

Make them a stupid offer

Don't get embroiled in what yours is worth. Tell 'em you'll give them your car and £x,000 for the one you want and that you have a loan ready to go.

Now is a good time to start - it's month end next week. They have to meet their numbers.

Be friendly

After haggling, get down to the showroom - they'll say they need to see yours to value it but say it's a long way to come if they can't do the numbers you want.

Then make them invest time in you. Spend ages looking the car over. Go for a real long test drive.

Stick to your guns on the price.

Salesman will then say he needs to talk it over with his manager. Enjoy the free coffee while you wait.

He'll come back and say the boss won't let him do it.

Look disappointed but smile, shake his hand and thank him for the test drive and compliment him on the car. Tell him you'll hang on a month or two as prices are falling.

Walk out, go home.

Give it an hour or two and the phone will go. Start the haggling again.

Bottom line is that they can't give gas guzzlers away. Coventry have 3 in stock when I checked a minute ago all under £24k and all over priced. Start at £19k based on the parkers value of yours plus cash.

BTW, when they do give you a deal then go for extras like mats, fuel etc.

That's the way I got my GS450h - I started on them on Friday lunchtime via the web and clinched the deal late Saturday.

Hope this helps.

Malc

PS - Don't bother trying to do a deal at Derby - like platting fog!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links