Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bumper Scrape/scuff - Repairing!

japthree

Scraped the rear bumper corner against a wall and phoned around getting a quote of £100. However, I have the full tin of touch-up paint so could I just paint brush that on - would I have to 'smooth' the surface first?

Hi, How deep are the scratches? Got a similar problem scraped my rear bumper into a concrete post and also own a Lexus touch up kit.

damage done:

30012009137.jpg

Gave the touch up kit a try the base coat was really thin and needs lots of coats. I will continue tomorrow, the more coats I do the better it looks.

Will see the results then decide the next step. I will let you know if its successful but I have a feeling it will need a smart repair.

• 1 month later...
Scraped the rear bumper corner against a wall and phoned around getting a quote of £100. However, I have the full tin of touch-up paint so could I just paint brush that on - would I have to 'smooth' the surface first?

Hi, How deep are the scratches? Got a similar problem scraped my rear bumper into a concrete post and also own a Lexus touch up kit.

damage done:

30012009137.jpg

Gave the touch up kit a try the base coat was really thin and needs lots of coats. I will continue tomorrow, the more coats I do the better it looks.

Will see the results then decide the next step. I will let you know if its successful but I have a feeling it will need a smart repair.

Was it successful???

It's similar to yours ... it's a pretty deep 'scrape'. Using T-cut Colorfast scratch remover will not be enough will it?

Anything in this section of the Halfords website under Body Repair:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...65740_langId_-1

I was in Halfords the other day and was thinkig of getting one of those Halfords kits for Toyota's colours (Lexus aren't stocked)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...65580_langId_-1

Two pen kit containing:

* Primer and Touch-up paint with brush and pen nib applicators

* Glass fibre brush to clean out any loose material from scratches and chips

Halfords Stone Chip and Scratch Repair Systems

OR

Would I use body filler?

I was nearly going to buy this from Halfords:

"Halfords Plastic Scuff & Scrape Repair Kit" but the online review says it's rubbish!

The easy and affordable way to repair plastic bumpers using professional materials and techniques.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165492#dtab

A bit confusing!!!

Had a similar thing happen 2 mine :crybaby:

DSC04967.jpg

Didnt realise till it got washed, recon some 1 scuffed it reversing out of a space :tsktsk:

I deffo didnt do it

if you know anyone with a buff most of that would polish out!

It was not working using touch up methods the scratch is clearly deep. as suspected. It was worth a try and it did improve the looks a little.

I am in the same boat as you but my tryes are prority at the moment leaving the scratches taking a back seat for now anyway.

• 4 years later...

Hi, if you are going to spray the damage yourself you will need to feather out the damage first with some wet and dry paper, if you don't and just spray over the scuff it will look even worse. If you have any use some filler and rub back when dry this will give you a nice smooth surface to spay onto.

If in doubt use a mobile smart repair service like www.carbodyrepairs4less.co.uk or chipsaway they would charge around £75 to fix the damage. I had a small scuff and used a mobile service and it only cost me £75, to buy the paint and equipment to do the job yourself will cost a few quid I suggest you get someone in to fix it for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links