Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Headunit

i think you are being a bit short sighted here mate..

Why would JVC UK want to give you support on a US model?it does them no good to support you buying a product from another country as it doesnt add any value to their business and just causes headaches with customer service when things go wrong.

Some business offer worldwide warranties but normally only on portable units ie ipods, mobile phones etc..

Grey imports are the bane of all industrys.. if you want full support, warranty and confidence that it will work 100% then buy a UK spec unit. a US uniyt wont have the correct radio frequencies and will be region locked.

hey

yeah i was thinking that myself, just think they should try come up with a better excuse than i dont know the american products, doesn't really instill confidence in a customer, even if they will prob never deal with an american product, its never good to hear some one in a support role say "i dont know" I think i will just buy a uk spec model, wont be worth the hassle getting one from the states and at least I will have it sooner

Don't these sort of products have international warranties though? I know they won't provide support over here, but if it breaks down surely it should be covered?

With regard to US stereos, I was looking into this a few years ago and the problems are the frequency gaps are different (but on a lot of stereos this is switchable), they don't have RDS so you won't get radio station names, and the DVD will be region 1.

What is the actual price difference between the UK and US?

Don't these sort of products have international warranties though? I know they won't provide support over here, but if it breaks down surely it should be covered?

With regard to US stereos, I was looking into this a few years ago and the problems are the frequency gaps are different (but on a lot of stereos this is switchable), they don't have RDS so you won't get radio station names, and the DVD will be region 1.

What is the actual price difference between the UK and US?

hey,

was looking at the specs and the tuner is switchable so it will work in europe, radio station names wouldn't bother me at all, the specs are actually confusing with regards to dvd, the region is 1 but then below that it says 1234, maybe you might be able to make more sense of it

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/15/LVT1958-001A.pdf page 4 gives the dvd settings and tuner settings are on page 17

the price difference is about 200 euro, its retailing for about £529 in the uk and about $480 dollars in the us

For some reason that pdf won't work but I assume it says 1234 as it can be either, and will be locked to whichever market you buy it in. They're always locked so one from the US will be region 1.

However, as you say they can usually be unlocked either by modifying the hardware, or as simple as a code. Have a search on the internet to see if you can find the code if that's all it is, I did the same with our Bose hi-fi, found the code on the net and a few key presses of the remote later the system was region free :)

For some reason that pdf won't work but I assume it says 1234 as it can be either, and will be locked to whichever market you buy it in. They're always locked so one from the US will be region 1.

However, as you say they can usually be unlocked either by modifying the hardware, or as simple as a code. Have a search on the internet to see if you can find the code if that's all it is, I did the same with our Bose hi-fi, found the code on the net and a few key presses of the remote later the system was region free :)

hey yeah, its locked to region 1, just having a look now to see if i can found the unlock code or if i need a piece of firmware, there is a guy who sells the unlock codes for 5 euro so if he has it and after lots and lots of searching will ask him for it,

hey so i was having a go at removing the old headunit last night while i was doing the footwell lights just to see how easy or hard it is and got stuck at the first hurdle, took off the top of the tray thing at the top, wasnt screwed on but couldnt pull the rest off then, is it hard to pull out or should it come off easily enough?

It comes out easily when you know how. It is held in by six clips, which are shown in this diagram.

What I did was inserted a long thin bladed tool into the gap between that top tray and the surrounding dash, and moving it around you can feel where the clips are. Choose one of those two top clips at the side and put some masking tape on the dash to protect it from scratches. Then use your tool to disengage the clip and partially lift up the tray. Once you've got one clip released you'll easily then be able to lever the whole thing up and out.

The tray comes up and sort of towards the central dome light as you pull it out.

It comes out easily when you know how. It is held in by six clips, which are shown in this diagram.

What I did was inserted a long thin bladed tool into the gap between that top tray and the surrounding dash, and moving it around you can feel where the clips are. Choose one of those two top clips at the side and put some masking tape on the dash to protect it from scratches. Then use your tool to disengage the clip and partially lift up the tray. Once you've got one clip released you'll easily then be able to lever the whole thing up and out.

The tray comes up and sort of towards the central dome light as you pull it out.

ah brilliant, thanks a million, I was getting really frustrated last night trying to get it out because in the walk through it sounds so easy

• 11 months later...

hey yeah, its locked to region 1, just having a look now to see if i can found the unlock code or if i need a piece of firmware, there is a guy who sells the unlock codes for 5 euro so if he has it and after lots and lots of searching will ask him for it,

Hi Ciarancassidy,

I also having the US version of JVC AVX820 with region code 1. I would like to make region free. Could you help me to furnish the details to unlock the JVC AVX820 version. Thanks in advance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links