Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Faulty Cat Converter On My 1999 Is200

hi guys.

yesterday i was out enjoying the sun in my 1999 is200 and suddenly the usual coil pack failure symtoms developed, juddering, engine and trc off flassing, and popping noise from the exhaust, im an expert in this department as it happened to me a couple of months ago.

when it happened last time i got some coils for a good price so baught a couple of spares just in case, and joyfully set to work in the sun systematically changing them around and testing them. an hour and a half later after doing every test with the spare coils, and the car was still what i thought was misfiring.

so i called the AA, i have free breakdown cover with my bank ad ive used them before when ive had problems and their mechanics are absolutly brilliant offering me nothing but fantastic service.

so AA man comes within 20 minutes of my phone call, i explain the problem about a misfire and he starts the engine up and straight away says i dont think thats a misfire, and asks had i had loss of power, well thinking about it the answer is no, i hadnt, car was running fine expect the lumpy ride.

so AA man plugs the car into the system and car is displaying NO faults, and he did this 4 times and called his mate who was on a job not far away to use his just in case his macine was faulty, and second macine comes along and again no electroinc faults, coil packs are fine, sensors fine.

so we clear the warning lights, start it up and he takes it for a spin, warning lights reappear and his verdict is faulty cat converter.

ive spoken to a mate of mine who is handy under a motor and he says that they are easy to change, he has done a few, all we got to do is find one now, he recommended a second hand one.

no ive come to the fountain of knowledge to ask apart from taking it to lexus and them rapeing my wallet, is there a test that can be done before i start finding a cat to make sure it is faulty?

and any ideas how much a new one will be?

cheers guys anticipating replies.

You need to find out the right cats 1st, as your car has 3, 2 pre-cats in the manifold, and the main 1 under the car

I have same thing, some yrs ago now, 1 of the pre-cats popped out (middle of it) got stuck in the down pipe, not letting the gas's out of the engine, so at 1st i thought it was coil pack, as its just like a miss fire :o

To check i had a look, where the manifold bolts to the rest of the system, and i found the bit of pre-cat, took it out, and all the small bits, and all was well, then few mths later i took the pre-cats out altogether :D

• 1 year later...

Find the posts interessting. Having a 1999 is200 with EMC + TRC flashing. Noticed the precat close to the engine got red hot the other day. Could this be the reason for my engine troubles? P0300, P0302 and P0305 showing up at the diagnostic.

noticed you say tte after the is200 is yours charged?and yip this could be your issue...your pre cat has colapsed......explains the glowing..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links