Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

80072efd Error!

shake

hi folks,

im hoping someone else has had the same problem and fixed it.

its caused by automatic windows update, the registry corrupts itself after the update stopping the system from connecting to windows servers. (well done microsoft!!!)

its on a vista sony vaio laptop. the last time it actually updated was near the end of march. i have uninstalled most updates prior to that date but still no luck.

at the same time Outlook and Google calendar will not sync. (i believe they are linked to the same problem)

there are no firewalls blocking the updates/syncs. everything else will work fine. i've done everything i can think of or find on other forums but still no luck. i've brought the laptop into work in case it was the internet at home but it is not....

apparently regcure "may" fix it but im not willing to pay for something that might not actually work. the free version will fix 5 out of the 1000+ after that you need to pay

as a last resort i'll recover the system to new but this really is a last resort as it is my sisters work laptop (self employed)

Have you tried doing a system restore?

we've restored it to the furthest date (in vista its doesnt go back very long)

as a last resort we will do a full restore.. (fresh from the box)

Have you tried running Registry Mechanic? If you have issues with the registry this normally sorts it out.

You should be able to download a free/trial version.

Have you tried running Registry Mechanic? If you have issues with the registry this normally sorts it out.

You should be able to download a free/trial version.

will try this

thanks!

There are a number of very prolific viruses that cause this issue as well. Are you sure you're not infected with one of them? For example, are you able to manually go to http://update.microsoft.com in Internet Explorer? If not, it could be a problem with one of those viruses, as they actively block attempts to download updates which might get rid of them...

There are ways to get rid, however.

If you've got admin rights try this:

Click Start - Run and then enter cmd.exe and click OK - this will launch the command prompt.

Enter the following commands and press return after each one:

proxycfg -d

net stop wuauserv

rmdir /s %windir%\softwaredistribution

If it asks you to confirm at this point press Y and it will clear that folder completely - once complete enter the following command:

net start wuauserv

Once that is done try and connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and see if that then works.

As Mike says loads of recent viruses / worms also cause AU to bugger up, might also be worth checking the contents of this file to see if it is pointing system at the wrong IP addresses:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

If you've got admin rights try this:

Click Start - Run and then enter cmd.exe and click OK - this will launch the command prompt.

Enter the following commands and press return after each one:

proxycfg -d

net stop wuauserv

rmdir /s %windir%\softwaredistribution

If it asks you to confirm at this point press Y and it will clear that folder completely - once complete enter the following command:

net start wuauserv

Once that is done try and connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and see if that then works.

As Mike says loads of recent viruses / worms also cause AU to bugger up, might also be worth checking the contents of this file to see if it is pointing system at the wrong IP addresses:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

i have tried this and it comes up with the following errors....

PRINT-SCREEN.jpg

right i've managed to get slightly further on cmd.exe -> run as admin however this time it starts at C:\Windows\system32...

cmd-image.jpg

proxycfg -d still doesnt work...

To be honest don't worry about that proxycfg line as I just copied that off another site - can you zip up a file called c:\windows\windowsupdate.log and attach it as that'll help identify what's actually wrong :)

I'd be very wary of those programs that claim to be able to fix problems for you if you pay for them, what's your comeback if find it doesn't fix it after all ? I doubt if there is one.

apparently there is a guarantee, however i've read some horror stories when trying to get the money back. some get it instantly some dont. as most the companies are in USA i doubt we'd be take too seriously

Seriously, DO NOT start shelling out money for programs like whatever it is you've been looking at. Like Stevie says, 99% of the time they are just a scam anyway. Many of them deliberately break things with the free version, and then fix it again once you've paid up.

Have you got some NetNanny software or something on your computer dude?

It's trying to get out via a proxy which is denying the connection or flatout just not working - it's pointing back at your PC on port 7171.

In Internet Explorer can you please just check the settings for the proxy - it's in Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings and then the proxy box - you're probably best off clearing all of this as it's currently set to Localhost and Port 7171.

If you clear that and then try it that may sort it - also have you installed any firewall software lately or net management stuff as that could have done this?

Yeah a quick Google turfs up that it does look like you have a trojan on there and it's that which has configured the proxy settings - do you have any software such as Norton / McAfee or AVG installed as if not you really need to get some and then do a full scan. Guessing it's done that so it can inject adverts and popups into the standard browsing session easily.

If you try disabling the proxy first see if that lets you out to do a Windows Update and then take it from there - prob worth downloading AVG if you're not running AV:

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

hi aido,

AVG has been installed since day one, will do a full slow system scan now.

as for proxy the boxes have always been unticked(and not set) and set not to detect settings automatically. (iirc there are two boxes to tick in that tab, both are unticked)

thanks once again aido! :)

That's weird mate - it's definitely showing in the log as using that proxy - can you do us a favour again please mate and log on as an admin user and do Start - Run:

regedt32

And then when that launches browse to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\WinHttpSettings

Any settings in there about localhost and port 7171?

avg scan came up with nothing. i've just noticed windows security centre shows malware protection as off. when i try and turn it on (avg is already selected there) it will not.

7171 is there :crybaby:

7171.jpg

i'll uninstall avg and try another one. it seems avg has been bypassed somehow...

That's ok mate, just delete that entry from that key and that'll clear it - although probably worth rebooting afterwards just to see it it comes back?

But saying that, once you've deleted the data out of that entry, just run the following commands at the command prompt:

wuauclt /detectnow

wuauclt /updatenow

That should kick off the Windows Update checks and stuff - see what happens there, maybe worth trying it via the other way you're trying where you get that message too, but at least we're on the right track now :)

If it still errors just pop the new copy of that WindowsUpdate.log online and we can take it from there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links