Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450h Vs Is250 Cost Of Ownership?

I currently have an IS250 SE-L 06, and I've been considering the GS450h, mainly because I want something quieter and with more accelatation. However I'm a little concerned that the extra complexity in the 450h will make maintainace costs much higher. I'm especially worried by the 5 year warranty limit on the batteries, since I'd want to buy a car 2 to 3 years old, and then keep for maybe 5 years.

I also like the cornering ability on the IS and I'm a little worried about the effect of the extra weight in the GS. Can the extra weight be overcome by using wider wheels and tyres?

I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone that has swithched from IS to GS or from GS to IS, that can comment.

I was talking to my dealer about this when I was considering upgrading my IS200 to an IS250 or GS450h - from what he was telling me there isn't a big difference in maintenance between the two, and from ownership of a Prius for over 2 years now I know that the hybrid system doesn't really require a lot of extra maintenance.

With regard to handling, go for the newer GS450h Sport which has an active stabiliser system that helps it corner flatter - haven't actually driven one but assuming it works the same way as in other cars it should be sharper than the standard car.

Is it safe to assume that the same technology is used in the 450h?

I would say it is, obviously each system is updated from the last, but the basic tech is tried and tested and doesn't really change...........

I currently have an IS250 SE-L 06, and I've been considering the GS450h, mainly because I want something quieter and with more accelatation. However I'm a little concerned that the extra complexity in the 450h will make maintainace costs much higher. I'm especially worried by the 5 year warranty limit on the batteries, since I'd want to buy a car 2 to 3 years old, and then keep for maybe 5 years.

I also like the cornering ability on the IS and I'm a little worried about the effect of the extra weight in the GS. Can the extra weight be overcome by using wider wheels and tyres?

I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone that has swithched from IS to GS or from GS to IS, that can comment.

Hi, I have owned my 2006 GS450h SE l for the last 8,000 miles having previously used a IS300 Sportcross (could not part with it and so now have 2 Lexus ) and a 2002 GS300. I find the hybrid such a relaxing car to drive I can not be bothered to corner it hard but it does not feel any less able to cope with the rural roads in my area and anyway the enormous accelatation will soon make up any shortfall ! it just never runs short of pull. Great car so refined, always averages 34 to 36 mpg and low tax band. The only slight issue I had was getting used to the brake by wire system which feels a bit dead at first but soon got the hang of it.

I drive 1000 to 1200 miles per week and so am looking for this car to cover 200,000 over the next 4 years, this seems a big ask but I dont believe Lexus would retail this product if not capable.

Having said this the Sportcross does feel very special to drive now but maybe thats because it is more traditional and I understand it more and the straight six and big tailpipe do sound sweet.

Good luck with your decision and dont forget good deals are out there, I bought my hybrid at 2 years old showing 26,000 miles for £20200 from Lexus with full warranty and RFL, maybe not everyones choice in Kalahari Sand but I like it.

Regards Tony

tonyricha, sounds like you got a great deal on that car, regardless of the colour. I do however like the conering ability of the IS, the only car I've been behind that corners significantly faster was a Lotus Elise. I also like the rear wheel drive on the IS250 this is my first rear wheel drive car:). I was having some fun with a Golf GTI driver yesterday, accelarating together, braking, cornering, he ended up behing me stopped at lights before a 90 degree left turn. I left him for dead when the lights changed, RWD Vs FWD

The other options are the GS430 and GS460, the fuel costs are higher, but I only do about 8k miles per year, and there will never be the issue of having to replace the Battery pack or any other components in the energy recovery system. Also the weight of both will be considerably lower than the 450h.

I've also been considering the Jaguar XF 4.2/4.2 suppercharged, BMW3 3.0d, or M3, even keeping the IS250 and getting a TVR Griffith 500 for fun at weekend, or maybe wait till this time next year and get a used ISF when the price has dropped.

Heh, I feel a bit like a kid in a candy shop, too many options.

However I realy like the idea of the 450h, since it's not often in a drive there's the options to floor the accelerator, so no need to worry about emptying the batteries. The lower road tax and insurance and fuel cost makes a big advantage over the ISF and the two car option.

Ok, I've finally made the discision to get the 450h SE. I don't want the wood steering wheel from the SE-L. The budget is going to stretch to 10 or 12k ontop of trade in for my 06 IS, less than 20k miles no MM.

Do you think a GS 56 or 07 with simmilar mileage, MM and sat nav, is within budget from Lexus approved? Are they going to say my car is only worth 10k?

Ok, I've finally made the discision to get the 450h SE. I don't want the wood steering wheel from the SE-L. The budget is going to stretch to 10 or 12k ontop of trade in for my 06 IS, less than 20k miles no MM.

Do you think a GS 56 or 07 with simmilar mileage, MM and sat nav, is within budget from Lexus approved? Are they going to say my car is only worth 10k?

I'd say the figures look possible, I just switched my 07 250SE-L for an 08 450h SE-L and got a great deal from Lexus Woodford - Have not stopped grinning yet

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links