Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Shocks

Ok, I noticed that my front passengers side shocker is wet. I'm looking for a replacement pair of front shocks.

I'll probably end up buying the KYB shocks from BuyPartsBy as they are the cheapest- I checked their prices, a pair of front shocks are £120 (inc. VAT and delivery).

However, I noticed that the KYB ones from BuyPartsBy are gas filled and the ones fitted to my car seem to be oil filled (as they are wet). Can someone tell me whats the difference between gas filled shocks and oil filled shocks? Which are better? Is there any difference in using oil filled shocks on the back and gas filled ones on the front?

Thanks in advance.

Just got a quote from Lexuspartsdirect.co.uk. A set of front shockers are £350!!!, part no. 48510-80143

I had my front nearside shock/strut at 44K by Lexus Liverpool (failed MOT). It cost £125 + VAT for the part, plus labour. I queried why they were only replacing one but they insisted it would not present a problem. They were right, the car handles very well.

Will be going for the KYB ones, they seem to be recommended by a few people on LOC.

I thought shocks had to be replaced in pairs?

yep Steve's correct got mine fitted at wim and they confirmed that they were the OEMs shocks. Going to be buying some ExcelGs for the front soon too as i think i have leaks.

You should replace in pairs if you can afford it.

yep Steve's correct got mine fitted at wim and they confirmed that they were the OEMs shocks. Going to be buying some ExcelGs for the front soon too as i think i have leaks.

You should replace in pairs if you can afford it.

How are you finding the KYB shocks? Take they are good as OEM? Better?

My car has now done 120k, so I guess the suspension is now getting tired.

@Steve - they are KYB ExcelGs which are the OEM shocks.

@Kam - The KYBs are the OEM shocks so the KYBs off buypartsbuy are no better no worse as they are the same. However replacing your shocks with new OEM ones will make a big difference at that kind of mileage - mines only on 71k.

I read the other day (on here I think) that its about right to think you lose about 1% of a shocks life for every 1k miles you drive. Obviously depends on roads - less for round town, more for purely motorway - even less if you lower the car.

I believe they surgest changing shocks every 50k....i change mine because of an inner oil valve problem (thanx to the WIM chaps) i replaced all 4 to the KYB Excel-G ( Nitrogen gas & oil filled ) compared to just OEM oil filled.....the ride is a lot more controled over bumps and in the corners...really pleased with them...

Just to say i got them from BuypartsOnline and the price for all 4 was £230 including postage.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links