Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please Help Me Mot My Turbo'd Is200!

Howdy-doody, Folks!

Long time, no... eerm... write. Some of you might remember me, even though it's been quite a while since I last posted here. I've paid a visit here every now then, but I've had so much happening lately, that coming here as often as I would have wanted hasn't been possible. Hope you accept my apologies... ;) But now, let's cut to the chase.

As some of you might also remember, I have a twin-turbo'd 1G-FE IS200 to which all the bits and bobs are home-brewn, so I don't have any "official documents" nor certificates of the turbo kit laying around to help me go through the MOT. Trying to get my baby through the MOT has been a long and winding road, as the Finnish legislation has done its best to take the wind out of my sails.

The main problem being that after installing the turbo, I'm required to be able to prove that the engine will not produce more emissions than while being naturally aspirated. Only way to prove that is to go through a VERY expensive test carried out in officially accredited test facility. Now, as of May 1st Finland will honour also a certificate issued to a similar car in any other (European) country. I BIG win for us here in Finland! :)

Now my question is, is there anyone anywhere who had gone down the turbo road, and had their car MOT'd with the turbo and with ANY kind of approval or official documents, and who would also be willing to send me a copy of such a document to help me to get past my MOT? Your help would be extremely appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sami

p.s. If such a person will not come forward or doesn't see this post, could someone maybe knowing such a person please give me a pointer to a right direction? I'm getting pretty desperate, If you couldn't tell already... :crybaby:

There's an emissions test in the UK MoT, as you might know SpOcK. So if any turbo'd ISs have successfully been through the UK MoT then they'd have certificates saying they'd passed ok.

Does anyone know such a car with the certificates? :unsure:

The only issue is that you dont put that its a turbo on the MOT form do you?

so how do they know?

That's the whole point to pass the MOT with the turbo's, as I'm tired of the hide and seek with the officials... :blush: I FIRST have to have the car registered as "after market turbo'd" (which to accomplish I would either have to go through a very expensive test OR certificate from a similar car) and THEN I would still have the pass the yearly "ordinary" MOT. And as long as the MOT engineer is not completely blind, he would probably see the huge I/C peeking from behind the front bumper, so telling "it's never even seen a turbo" is not an option. And they would open the hood in any case to record the VIN in the engine bay. :angry:

Good point Stav. But if you could show the turbo was fitted at a certain date (e.g. with invoices from a garage ?) and then at a later date it passed the MoT, that might be good enough ?

No invoice from a garage, since everything is self-fabricated, and it still wouldn't steer me clear, as I can't prove that the emissions have not increased due to the turboing. So nothing else than an official document from a similar car really will do...

Anyone still have the TTE compressor kit homologation certificate on their hard drive? I did a search on tte.de and they do not have it anymore online. :(

There's a slight chance that I could use that to get my car MOT'd (although this certificate is for supercharged engine, not turbo'd)...

so how do they know?

That's the whole point to pass the MOT with the turbo's, as I'm tired of the hide and seek with the officials... :blush: I FIRST have to have the car registered as "after market turbo'd" (which to accomplish I would either have to go through a very expensive test OR certificate from a similar car) and THEN I would still have the pass the yearly "ordinary" MOT. And as long as the MOT engineer is not completely blind, he would probably see the huge I/C peeking from behind the front bumper, so telling "it's never even seen a turbo" is not an option. And they would open the hood in any case to record the VIN in the engine bay. :angry:

Good point Stav. But if you could show the turbo was fitted at a certain date (e.g. with invoices from a garage ?) and then at a later date it passed the MoT, that might be good enough ?

No invoice from a garage, since everything is self-fabricated, and it still wouldn't steer me clear, as I can't prove that the emissions have not increased due to the turboing. So nothing else than an official document from a similar car really will do...

We were both refering to the english cars/mots mate.

In England the cars just an IS200, not an IS200 Turbo. theres no need/way to record it.

so how do they know?

We were both refering to the english cars/mots mate.

In England the cars just an IS200, not an IS200 Turbo. theres no need/way to record it.

Although we do have to tell the DVLA (Vehicle licensing) any engine change, but only the engine number, not new emissions or power outputs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links