Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone,

Need some advise, was gutted , had my MOT yesterday and had a major issue with my MK1 GS300, Kwik fit claim they think that a fuel pipe is deeply corroded, my exhausts are leaking as well they say and they cant test my emission, so they failed me!

Lexus Sidcup will need to diagnose whats wrong with it to know the cost of repair, I'm thinkin major ouch! they are even getting me a Lexus courtesy car to fully diagnose the problem.

Help! is there no other recourse but the main dealers? Kwik fit wont touch her as they say its better to

go main dealer in case there are warranty issues, I,m gutted as Im in part time work and worrying about the possible cost of this component, to top it all, I'm suposed to go on holiday this week!

Am thinking of getting a 2nd opinion on another MOT place, my private mechanic said he hasnt seen any corrosion in my fuel pipes, are fuel pipes inspected visually?thats all what kwik fit did.

Any advise is greatly appreciated, many thanks everyone

i would guess the fuel pipes by the fuel filter has corroded,

i had this on my car, i replaced the corroded part with High pressure fuel hose, and it passed the MOT

there also known to go where the plastic clips secure the fuel pipes to the car

as for the exhaust if you look on eBay there are lots being broken, i managed to get the parts i needed from there, or people on this forum

defo get a second opinion

I would try another place first as Kwik fit can be a bit dodgy sometimes,a programme was done on them once on the television and it was not very nice.

Many thanks my friends, I was so upset yesterday, got a second opinion on a good garage and all it is

is fuel filter needs replacement, I cannot belive that Kwik fit are cons! My MOT man even said he had the

same guy do nasty bits with other vehicles, wasnt too nice to hear good mechanics say Kwik fit "slaughtered

my Lexy"

Many thanks for the feedback, now I can get the MOT done and my holiday in Peace, thanks everyone....

I would try another place first as Kwik fit can be a bit dodgy sometimes,a programme was done on them once on the television and it was not very nice.

Many thanks my friends, I was so upset yesterday, got a second opinion on a good garage and all it is

is fuel filter needs replacement, I cannot belive that Kwik fit are cons! My MOT man even said he had the

same guy do nasty bits with other vehicles, wasnt too nice to hear good mechanics say Kwik fit "slaughtered

my Lexy"

Many thanks for the feedback, now I can get the MOT done and my holiday in Peace, thanks everyone....

I would go back to Kwik-fit and ask them what they are playing at and have they forgotton they have been on the television for conning people they are obviously still doing it, they need reporting again.

My next door neighbour went there last year and was told he needed a new CAT £600 so he took it to another garage and all it was was a loose bracket on the exhaust which they did for nothing. :angry:

To be fair, in this case (if I'm understanding the original posting correctly) it sound like Kwik-fit just messed up rather than trying to con anyone deliberately, since the original poster said they didn't want to touch the car and that a dealer should check it out.

To be fair, in this case (if I'm understanding the original posting correctly) it sound like Kwik-fit just messed up rather than trying to con anyone deliberately, since the original poster said they didn't want to touch the car and that a dealer should check it out.

Yes your right there Stevie but it still gave the guy a sleepless night how can they get it so wrong

knowing what state though that the fuel filter fittings can get in, i think that Kwik-Fit were right to say, take it to the dealer, but they should have explained themselves better

the fuel lines around where the filter is (rear left, front of back wheel) is prone to suffering heavy corrosion, especially the fittings from the line to the pump.

I agree Norlec, Stevie, I will not believe in hindsight that they messed up, my mate in the independent garage said that this certain MOT man in kwik fit keeps failing people and that hes an a~**ole

I found a kwik fit thread in money supermarket and severak people complained of similar stupid assessments like "headlight beam too low, due to exhaust leak unable to test emission, fuel filter componet leaking therefore dangerous", even my Lexus dealership cannot believe it!

I'm fuming and will talk to my local trading standards to try to get a case aginst their business, I cannot believe Kwik fit have been conning people even in the past!

If Kwik-fit were trying to con you, why didn't they just say you needed a new exhaust system which they could fit themselves, instead of referring you to your dealer ?

I agree that Kwik-fit have a bad reputation for conning people, but I can't see how they were this time. Sure, they made a mistake, but that doesn't even seem like a totally unreasonable mistake in this instance.

If Kwik-fit were trying to con you, why didn't they just say you needed a new exhaust system which they could fit themselves, instead of referring you to your dealer ?

I agree that Kwik-fit have a bad reputation for conning people, but I can't see how they were this time. Sure, they made a mistake, but that doesn't even seem like a totally unreasonable mistake in this instance.

The people who passed my MOT couldnt find a fault in my exhaust, my case rests

• 5 weeks later...
I think what we are trying to say is this guy should not be doing MOT's because he obviously doesn't know what he is doing,he is saying there are faults that are not there

Oh God help guys, took the car to my independent garage, car has been sitting there for 2 days now, started with supposedly fuel filter change, then compounded to changing a pipe, then now Im told a further problem, something about "unions" Toyota/Lexus are telling my garage that my entire fuel tank have to be replaced as this is what entails and it attaches to other unions/pipes that are corroded as well(Good God!)

I hope I do not have to scrap her as a new fuel tank will be too costly to replace wouldnt it?GUys if anyone tech savvy can help me clear my mind on what to do as its heartbreaking to scrap her

A union, in this instance, is simply where a pipe joins something else - either another piece of pipework, or a tank, or whatever. From the sounds of it, the union between the fuel hose and the tank is badly corroded and if the individual parts are not available, the preferred fix from the main dealer's perspective is a new fuel tank and pipe.

I think the problem you might have is that if you were to get hold of spare parts from scrap cars, they are likely to be in a poor condition as well since it's a known weak-spot for corrosion. You could ask for the prices of new parts though, I guess it depends what the car is worth to you. If the rest of it is in good nick and you don't want to sell it in the near future, replacing with new parts could give it a new lease of life for a few years yet?

A union, in this instance, is simply where a pipe joins something else - either another piece of pipework, or a tank, or whatever. From the sounds of it, the union between the fuel hose and the tank is badly corroded and if the individual parts are not available, the preferred fix from the main dealer's perspective is a new fuel tank and pipe.

I think the problem you might have is that if you were to get hold of spare parts from scrap cars, they are likely to be in a poor condition as well since it's a known weak-spot for corrosion. You could ask for the prices of new parts though, I guess it depends what the car is worth to you. If the rest of it is in good nick and you don't want to sell it in the near future, replacing with new parts could give it a new lease of life for a few years yet?

Many many thanks Mike, I love cars but not that technically knowledgeable on most parts, my good hearted mechanics had the goodwill to debate

with Toyota/Lexus that they can still save the fuel tank, and just replace the unions/pipes, Mike, I was quoted approx 250 pound at the moment without the new pipes insatalled should I think if it reaches 500 pound for the work(I can only afford max 300 at the moment) that it will not be worth it?

I was told by my other mechanic that as new vehicles have plastic pipes, compared to my metal, that

could have been fixed by creative garages, but most mechanics in the UK prefer to install original parts....

Am skint at the moment as the credit cruch has sadly rolled my way..........

Many many thanks Mike, I love cars but not that technically knowledgeable on most parts, my good hearted mechanics had the goodwill to debate

with Toyota/Lexus that they can still save the fuel tank, and just replace the unions/pipes, Mike, I was quoted approx 250 pound at the moment without the new pipes insatalled should I think if it reaches 500 pound for the work(I can only afford max 300 at the moment) that it will not be worth it?

I was told by my other mechanic that as new vehicles have plastic pipes, compared to my metal, that

could have been fixed by creative garages by installing copper pipes, , but most mechanics in the UK prefer to install original parts....

Am skint at the moment as the credit cruch has sadly rolled my way..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links