Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5.1 Rear Speakers Installation

following on from this thread >> (centre channel installation), work began today on the rear speakers in the c pillar.

some of you may wonder why i didnt just use 6x9's or put something in there place. well i have found that the best sound from the subs comes from giving them as much space as possible to get into the car, so through the ski hatch and the 6x9 holes.

Ive also found that rears tend to work better pointing inwards, slightly off axis

I picked up a spare set of pillar covers to chop up form Aztec (cheers!) that were untrimmed, possibly from an altezza.

So there isnt much room behind these, just under 2 inches and the model i used for the centre speaker will not fit so i settled on a pair of shallow mount 5.25" speakers, MB Quart RUA 213. these are slightly shallower than the 6.5" version and also gave me more room to play around with positioning..

so onto the pics..

first cut and positioning

sta70964.jpg

you will notice some marks in black marker.. this position did fit but i wanted it to be a little higher so it needed to be recut and repositioned.

MDF baffle to be attached behind the c pillar

sta70965.jpg

baffle with recessed tweeter housing to bring to same level as the mid.. (my life would be easier with a router!)

sta70966.jpg

new cutout with tweeter and the old hole 'filled'!

sta70967.jpg

front view awaiting trimming

sta70968.jpg

Baffle being bonded to the cover.. will leave overnight to give it time to set properly.

sta70970.jpg

Dynamatt applied

sta70971.jpg

so tomorrow will see the heated window thing on the other side relocated somewhere, crossovers mounted and pillar covers put in.

I dont have any trimming cloth yet so this may have to wait until i can get the right colour match and i dont have an amp to drive these yet so i may have to run of the HU for now. who knows it may be enough power but i doubt it!

WOW - you take the whole sound thing serious!!!!

Nice idea, something different, causing yourself alot of work there - i'm very impressed.

Hope it turns out the way you planned, i'll be looking out for updates.

this was a lot easier than i thought and if i had the trimming cloth it would be finished already!

i dont want to cut the original covers so i need to find a good match for the oem cloth..

midday update whilst having a break form the sun!!

i managed to get some acoustic cloth this morning and trimmed the panels.. i still wanted a stealthy look and without suing fiberglass to build up the edges this was the best i think i can get it..

sta70975.jpg

its not a perfect colour match but not far off. im hoping once in and the rear is tinted further, it shouldnt be too noticeable in the car as this was taken in direct sunlight

sta70974.jpg

both panels inside so they dont get covered in dirt whilst i carry on with the wiring..

sta70976.jpg

should be all complete this afternoon then onto the testing..

THERE IN!!

sta70978.jpg

sta70977.jpg

sounds superb on films!!

i will definitely look for some better matching trimming cloth as im not happy with this but wasnt bad for a last minute find.

at the moment i cant have the centre and the rears wired in at the same time so im sourcing a second amp to run these. it will be wired to a relay switch on the HU so that it only comes on with video or when specifically selecting it so not spoiling the SQ when listening to music.

my other job that this has created is relocating the little white box that sits behind the drivers side pillar. I think its the 'noise filter for the rear window defogger'. I have no idea what it does or if relocating it will cause any problems. i guess time will tell!

so there we go incar cinema sound..

now for my next trick.. hmmm

pockets are shallow mate!!

just some very good deals on the equipment and lots of time to invest! hopefully should have an amp this week until i can get the one im after..

unfortunately this means the boot trimming has to wait!

i think when i get some better trimming cloth i will put some grills on underneath so that all you will see is the slight bulge and not the shape you see now. there isnt enough room behind the pillar to completely flush mount these and too much involved to build up the panel so that they are flush..

hmmm, maybe i could build it up with some dense foam!! will see how it looks when i get some new cloth..

your talking at least 10mm which if recessed into the mdf would damage its integrity.

like i said there isnt much clearance behind there and there is also the drainage tubes. without extensive work i dont think there would be much hope of getting any more flush than it is. The materialis stretched to go over the speaker so its a bit of an illusion as to how much it is raised..

as i said i think with covers on it will disguise the speaker a little more..

I think your idea of padding out the area surrounding the speakers with foam is a good one, you'd only need a few mm to raise the cloth enough that it looks like a flat surface - then it would be proper stealth :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links