Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can I Demand A New 5th Injector?

Hi Lexus owners,

I recently bought a IS220d (jan.2007) from an official Lexus dealer with a Premium Warranty.

There's one major issue with the car however and that's the fuel consumption that averages 29 mpg.

On this forum I read a lot about this issue and one of the things that could possible improve the mpg is to replace the 5th injector with a new (modified) one, and to remap the ECU (whatever that may be).

I spoke with my dealers service technician but he told me that this wouldn't have any effect. The 5th injector should only be replaced when it's broken and in this case you'll see an error indication in the dashboard. He also told me that 29 mpg is quite normal for an IS220d and if the 5th injector is broken, the fuel consumption will be even worse: about 15 mpg.

In other words: get used to it.

I think it's a pity that the dealer isn't even willing to replace the thing. And I cannot prove of course that a replacement will improve the mpg. Or can I ? Is there perhaps some Lexus document or announcement which I can refer to?

What are my options? How can I get rid of the poor mpg with an unwilling dealer?

Thanks,

JDN

i had loan deisel this month and i only averaged around 32 mpg mostly in town driving .I only got 40 mgg on trip down carriageway from dealer so maybe he is correct about milage if you live in town

Well, I've read several post on this forum about mpg improvement to avg 40 mpg after the 5th injector has been replaced (and ECU has been remapped).

But I'm sure I cannot convince my dealer with the posts on this forum.

So I like to know if there's an official Lexus announcement or document about this fuel issue in respect to the 5th injector and/or ECU remapping.

I don't think the 5th Injector will help you. It is more likely that you are doing more than 60% town driving? That is where the sluggishness and turbo flat spot make you subconsciously press the accelerator too much, then too much turbo and economy goes down the (exhaust) tube!

Fuel economy is not an IS220d (pre-2009) strong point.

Mine was always 29-32 in town and after reset trip about 41-48 on a run. Not bad, but. some cars will not better 35-39 no matter how carefully you drive.

It might be an idea to get dealer to loan you another similar car for one.

To answer what you should do to improve the economy? Well. I don't know. Is there another dealer nearby?

Well I drive mine like the terminator is chasing me and I average around 32mpg...which I don't think is too bad. When I have tried to drive economically I can achieve low 40's....it does seem hit and miss from what I've read on the forum....have you tried taking it to another dealer?

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some tests recently, and I found out that accelerating has a very big impact on the avg mpg, even if I accelerate slowly the avg mpg is bad.

While driving on a motorway with a speed of 80mph and cruise control, the avg mph is around 36.

On a 50mph road, I can even achieve a mpg of 47 !

However, when driving combined motorways and city roads my avg mpg is 29.

I guess this is al because of accelerating. Even when I accelerate quite normal the mpg is even less than 8mpg, and this is as long as the acceleration longs. So, with a lot of traffic light e.g. the avg mpg is very bad.

Accelerating of course has a higher mpg, but I doubt whether the huge mpg I experience during acceleration (even when done very carefully, as a test) is normal.

JDN

Well, I've read several post on this forum about mpg improvement to avg 40 mpg after the 5th injector has been replaced (and ECU has been remapped).

So I like to know if there's an official Lexus announcement or document about this fuel issue in respect to the 5th injector and/or ECU remapping.

Mine has every mod in the book - mapped several times, new injectors several times, new exhaust, new cat, gearbox rebuild, new gearbox, engine flush, different oil, etc. It can do mid 30's on a mix of long distance and gently town driving. Push it at all and it's well down in the 20's. It can occasionally do into the 40's but only for a short spell or on a really long (300+ miles) 60MPH run.

That's nearly 50,000 miles in the car to get those numbers - oh and it's a Sport.

Brian.

Mine has every mod in the book - mapped several times, new injectors several times, new exhaust, new cat, gearbox rebuild, new gearbox, engine flush, different oil, etc. It can do mid 30's on a mix of long distance and gently town driving. Push it at all and it's well down in the 20's. It can occasionally do into the 40's but only for a short spell or on a really long (300+ miles) 60MPH run.

That's nearly 50,000 miles in the car to get those numbers - oh and it's a Sport.

Brian.

been on the motorway today,an 80 mile round trip at 60mph and returned 64mpg on the avg computer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links