Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Trouble After Griving Through Flood ?

Thats should be Driving through flood...wont let me edit it.... :shutit:

Was caught in a real deep flood....had to drive through on my way to Hospital to visit my Dad....very deep water indeed...car really struggled...

I didnt realise the depth as I got half way....kept car revving in first { low } gear....she was not on all cylinders for a few miles after that...but seems fine now...

but car now 75% of time starter motor hesitates when turning key to start ....as if it has flat Battery...which it has'nt { New Oddysey Battery } sometimes it will start in neutral....but not in park...it's as if starter is not being fired in...

could it have gotten wet and just corroded the starter gear shaft causing it to stick ?

I started car around 10 times in 5 minutes yesterday and she started perfect every time...

but it has me worried....any ideas lads ?....

just coming up to 190.000 miles and I still Love it. :unsure:

Hi the starter is high up at the back of the engine so I doubt if it got wet. It is more likely the park/ neutral sensor on the gearbox has got wet, it should dry out & be fine or get all the electrics underneath blasted with a High preasure air line. I really dont think its your starter motor.

Took top off transmission tunnel....thought water may have got in the switches under the gear stick...took all day so as not to mess up....

found nothing wrong...cleaned it all with WD40 then put it all back together carefully...also changed engine and gearbox oil while under there.

car was fine all day...then tool a few goes next day...its very intermittent...you just never know when its gonna play up...always starts eventually...then runs like silk.

It never ever did this before the flood....so it must be water somewhere ...right ?

or was it just a coincidence and I need a starter...

gonna double check all the Battery leads again tomorrrow....I really dont want to do that starter motor unless I have to. :unsure:

And thanks for replies lads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links