Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

lexusIT

sooooo.... this has been something i've been thinking for quite some time now....

3 years that I own my IS200 and I'm quite happy with it, even though a few times I'd wish I had that 100 hp extra under the hood...

anyway, i now feel i'd like to change... really is more the need of a change, not necessarely the whole car, just something new.... so here's the drama going on in my mind at the moment:

-keep the lexus (always, always loved the shape of it!) and add some sort of forced induction system, trying at least to keep up with all those golf TDi (I'm sure a compressor won't be enough for that) passing me everyday left and right, so many i don't bother to count them anymore but again i'm not a boy, i don't race or do anything dangerous on the street, i would really only like to feel the car more... reactive, if you get what i mean

-sell the lexus and get one of these ... older, ugly (especially compared to the lexus), i'm sure 1000 times more prone to break down, possible source of problems, yet with that muscle-car aura you can't ignore. also, only a few mere made, so probably going to increase in value instead of depreciating.

money would be pretty much the same, if i take into account all the €€€ i'll have to spend on the IS to make it go a "little" faster.

you also have to consider that in italy modifications are not allowed and if i get into an accident with a charged IS, it could mean serious trouble for me...

buy I like the way the IS looks....

I don' tknow... so confused. can't make my mind up!

what do you guys thinkn?

do what stavs done, or even Marcuz.

Stav has a Supra engine in his IS200. Its twin Turbo and i think producing 263 BHP or somewhere around that.

The other one. Stick a 4LV8 Engine from an LS400, and Turbo it. Both require serious money, but i think im going to hang onto mine for year and years, and possibly try something like that!

yeah i've seen what other have done, swapping motors and such, but this is really not an option... too much money not to mention if i get in an accident i end up in jail for the rest of my life...

little mod is ok, supercharger could be good, looks almost like stock. a different engine, well that's nother story. numbers won't match and way too easy to spot.

but still a supercharger - if i ever get hold of one - it's serious money for something that can't keep up with most car on the road.

Can you not legally do an engine swap then in Italy?

nope... you can't even mount wheels of a different size if not mentioned on the "certificate of property"

just to give you an idea, 18 inch wheels are not an option here in taly on the IS, if caught by the cops you get a several thousand eur fine. plus they take away your registration for a few months.

mods to the engine, brakes, suspension might give insurance company an excuse not to pay in case of an accident.

and there's not such a thing as "declaring" it to the insurance. it's just not allowed.

people do all sort of things, but at your own risk. and i don't feel this young and reckless anymore....

Yea, there are some countries that are like that... where you can only put on things that are "approved" by the manufacturer.

In your case... maybe an Altezza is on the card? Or find a Tom's 280T?

If you don't mind reving the car, then the Altezza isn't a bad car at all.

Yea, there are some countries that are like that... where you can only put on things that are "approved" by the manufacturer.

In your case... maybe an Altezza is on the card? Or find a Tom's 280T?

If you don't mind reving the car, then the Altezza isn't a bad car at all.

hmm.. .to tell you the truth, I believe a lot of countries are like that.... I believe many LOCers here from eruope can confirm it... yemgi from france, or dimitris from spain... then there are other countries where you CAN do things to your car, but in order to make them "legal" you have to go through a paperwork hell... it' sjust you that are way lucky and can have a kit car as a daily driver!

altezzas... i'm not even sure they were even made LHD, and i seriously doubt you would ever find one in italy.

but that's not the point. I drive my IS only about once aweek, tonight i was coming back from work and i found myself thinking "i like this car A LOT" and i'm not really sure i want to trade it it for a cheap looking american pickup.... sooo.. at the moment, i'm leaning toward the idea of keeping the lex and adding some power to it. s/c being scarce (unless Gord pulls another one out from his hat) i might go down the low boos turbo route, we'll see what comes up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links