Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus UK is no longer offering GS460. :angry: Reports suggest even the GS300 could have to go.

Anyone missing the V8? Can still get privately imported left-hand driven GS460 from Europe... but who knows for how long.

For me the hybrid is still not developed enough. The boot is way too small! Even in the standard model the boot is small compared to the competition, the one in GS450h is simply not acceptable. I also find the V8 a true must for Lexus' corporate image in this class. If only it were a touch quicker than the hybrid... If one is looking for a V8, Lexus has nothing, hence many will opt to buy Jaguar, BMW or Mercedes instead. Even if no more than 5-10% of the buyers belong to this category, it will be many souls and pounds lost in the Lexus camp... after all it's not always all about avoiding carbon taxes or congestion charges.....

If one is looking for a V8, Lexus has nothing

They still do V8's, more than the competition actually :-

IS-F 5.0 V8

LS460 4.6 V8

LS600h 5.0 V8

SC430 4.3 V8

So whilst there not offering it in the GS anymore, i'd hardly say Lexus has nothing when you can have 3/5 of their model range in V8 configurations.

If one is looking for a V8, Lexus has nothing

IS-F 5.0 V8

LS460 4.6 V8

LS600h 5.0 V8

SC430 4.3 V8

So whilst there not offering it in the GS anymore, i'd hardly say Lexus has nothing when you can have 3/5 of their model range in V8 configurations.

Doesn't the GS 450H have a CVT gearbox? That means if the 300 or 460 disappears so will the beautiful 6 speed auto in the range! This is sad news. I deliberately chose the 300 over the 450 due to luggage and 'possible' future Battery problems. I also found that on a run the MGP is almost the same, in fact mpg was not too much of a concideration. If there is no choice between GS models then the choice will become between GS, E Class or BMW. This is a huge Lexus mistake.

IS-F 5.0 V8

LS460 4.6 V8

LS600h 5.0 V8

SC430 4.3 V8

Not many consider IS, LS or SC as alternatives to GS. Rather XF, 5 series or E class, which are more or less same size.

BTW, LS460 is reported to go as well....

But why would you choose a GS300, when a GS450 is miles faster, and similar MPG?

Haven't driven a 450h but technically, yes I can't see why. However the argument against the 460 is a bit different as there you get the lovely V8, more power, bigger boot and a proper gearbox rather than the CVT so if you're not too worried about fuel economy it's a better choice.

I still don't get why they'd remove the GS300 from the range though, does the 450h outsell it that much?

I took a 450 on a test drive last year. Seemed to have as much power as my GS 430. Handling was good too. The relatively small boot size was the biggest problem.

The small boot size is the main reason why one would choose a 300 over a 450h. Plus of course people have concerns over the long-term reliability of the Battery packs and electronics that go with it.

It's a real shame if the 460 is going. They are a really rare car, and it is still the one I will probably choose when my 430 does eventually reach the end of it's working life. Assuming I can find one that is - it's rare to start with and people who are 'in the know' will probably buy up all the good ones for the same reason I will, a car to keep for years and years!

Haven't driven a 450h but technically, yes I can't see why. However the argument against the 460 is a bit different as there you get the lovely V8, more power, bigger boot and a proper gearbox rather than the CVT so if you're not too worried about fuel economy it's a better choice.

Ah, you get the same argument from manual drivers who haven't driven an automatic and don't want to because they wouldn't like it. It's a matter of preference and I prefer CVT over a manual or an old fashion auto box and, yes, I've tried 'em all over the years.

I like the smooth, constant power delivery - it just keeps going. Floor it and the computers blend electric motor and engine power instantly, no kick down.

Not wishing to be picky but the 460 was 342 bhp last time I looked and the 450h id 340bhp. Less than 1% in it.

Finally, you are right about the boot. It's carp

Ah, you get the same argument from manual drivers who haven't driven an automatic and don't want to because they wouldn't like it. It's a matter of preference and I prefer CVT over a manual or an old fashion auto box and, yes, I've tried 'em all over the years.

I like the smooth, constant power delivery - it just keeps going. Floor it and the computers blend electric motor and engine power instantly, no kick down.

Not wishing to be picky but the 460 was 342 bhp last time I looked and the 450h id 340bhp. Less than 1% in it.

Finally, you are right about the boot. It's carp

Understand where you're coming from but that's not exactly what I meant. CVTs are fine in terms of power delivery (and possibly superior), but as a bit of a petrolhead I love the sound of the engine revving as you work up through the gears.........

There isn't a lot in it but the 460 is a little bit quicker to 60 (think it's 5.7 vs 5.9) but I think it's at higher speeds that the power of the V8 will be more of an issue when compared to the 450h.

In any case I'm not particularly confused about the 460 getting dropped, as I'm sure they don't really sell any of them. It's the 300 that I was more surprised about, as it's a lot cheaper and the entry level model, so thought sales would be comparable.

There isn't a lot in it but the 460 is a little bit quicker to 60 (think it's 5.7 vs 5.9) but I think it's at higher speeds that the power of the V8 will be more of an issue when compared to the 450h.

I've been wondering about that one. I've never seen any 60-100 times for these cars. If anyone has the data I'd be interested. Would also be good to see som graphs of power output.

Given that the electric motor peek output is 200bhp and the V6 is 296bhp yet the combined system output is 340bhp I would reason that power output is spread better i.e. less dependent on a narrow rev range. Watching the power meter when you floor the throttle it flies up to 250KW (340bhp) and just stays there....at least till I bottle out :whistling:

This is my theory, however, I'd really like to see some real figures.

Lexus UK is no longer offering GS460. :angry: Reports suggest even the GS300 could have to go.

Anyone missing the V8? Can still get privately imported left-hand driven GS460 from Europe... but who knows for how long.

For me the hybrid is still not developed enough. The boot is way too small! Even in the standard model the boot is small compared to the competition, the one in GS450h is simply not acceptable. I also find the V8 a true must for Lexus' corporate image in this class. If only it were a touch quicker than the hybrid... If one is looking for a V8, Lexus has nothing, hence many will opt to buy Jaguar, BMW or Mercedes instead. Even if no more than 5-10% of the buyers belong to this category, it will be many souls and pounds lost in the Lexus camp... after all it's not always all about avoiding carbon taxes or congestion charges.....

I have to agree with you. I considered the GS450h until I discovered that the boot space was non existent. They stiil have a way to go before offering the hybrid as the only option. We all have to remind ourselves that Lexus first started out with a what?... Oh yes, a V8 in 1989!! As well as developing the hybrid, they could also put a bit more effort into making the V8 the most economical engine around. (It's already the most refined!!) Ok, maybe not everyone can afford the V8 from new but if it returned 30mpg, would anyone complain? We already read enough stories in car mags about the BM 5 series, E class and the new Jag XF handle better than the GS, so it would do Lexus no harm to have the best and most reliable V8 engine on offer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links