Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel

hawk77

I had a quick test before the WOF (MOT in UK) and I've been told that the steering wheel doesn't self centres. Well, I realised that only after he mentioned it. Is this normal for Lexus IS200 or is there something faulty?

It might be simple as thing for somebody who knows these sort of things.

Mercer

Geometry, do you have uneven tyre wear on the front tyres?

My steering wheels didn't used to return to the centre (you had to assist it). When WIM did the geometry on my car they resolved this as well as the inner tyre wear.

could possibally be a ball joint mate.

Yep , you guys are right. Aparently, there is a lot of play in the ball joints so I need to sort this out quite quickly. I've heard that the ball joints are designed that way so they cannot pop out. Is that true?

Cheers

erm you could pop them out mate.

i got mine lower ball joint done 2 months ago.

Well, when I asked if they could pop I meant if you drive could they pop out...No worries though as today I had the most hectic day of this year. I had a very important meeting this morning and guess what....the front ball joint from the passenger side poped out and the whole segment dropped on the internal side of the rim. I was very lucky to have this happening in front of my garage so I drove the car in, took the wheel off and investigate. YEP...the ball joint was off so I had to run to a place where i can rent a car for couple of days (they rip you off big time here). I put an order to have them here at a very good price as the guys from Lexus Of Brisbane wanted me to "bend over" for the ball joints. 500AUD for one side when you can get it genuine from Toyota UK for much less than that. 80AUD me thinks.

So, my advice to anyone...have your ball joints inspected and changed if necessary ASAP. i don't want to think of the massive accident that I could've have on motorway at around 110km/h.

Mercer

erm you could pop them out mate.

i got mine lower ball joint done 2 months ago.

Well, when I asked if they could pop I meant if you drive could they pop out...No worries though as today I had the most hectic day of this year. I had a very important meeting this morning and guess what....the front ball joint from the passenger side poped out and the whole segment dropped on the internal side of the rim. I was very lucky to have this happening in front of my garage so I drove the car in, took the wheel off and investigate. YEP...the ball joint was off so I had to run to a place where i can rent a car for couple of days (they rip you off big time here). I put an order to have them here at a very good price as the guys from Lexus Of Brisbane wanted me to "bend over" for the ball joints. 500AUD for one side when you can get it genuine from Toyota UK for much less than that. 80AUD me thinks.

So, my advice to anyone...have your ball joints inspected and changed if necessary ASAP. i don't want to think of the massive accident that I could've have on motorway at around 110km/h.

Mercer

I got the ball joints today and they will go in tonight. I will keep you updated.

A wheel alignments is required (as a must) or it coud go with out it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links