Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OK I give up. shrug65465.gif

I replaced the Battery on my Mk IV LS400 yesterday and naively thought that the fob and alarm/immobiliser would reset themselves, as the old Scorpio used to. :huh::huh: But I guess that you lot know differently. :whistling::whistling:

I have taken the Lady Friend out to lunch today with friends and had to start the out and return journey’s with the alarm horn sounding for the first 100 yards or so with me driving like I stole it whilst fishtailing along the icy roads. :driving: All good fun but not ideal. So can someone please either tell me in simple terms how to reset the fob and alarm or point me at the relevant thread for the Mk IV.

Thanks

Rod

OK I give up. shrug65465.gif

I replaced the battery on my Mk IV LS400 yesterday and naively thought that the fob and alarm/immobiliser would reset themselves, as the old Scorpio used to. :huh::huh: But I guess that you lot know differently. :whistling::whistling:

I have taken the Lady Friend out to lunch today with friends and had to start the out and return journey’s with the alarm horn sounding for the first 100 yards or so with me driving like I stole it whilst fishtailing along the icy roads. :driving: All good fun but not ideal. So can someone please either tell me in simple terms how to reset the fob and alarm or point me at the relevant thread for the Mk IV.

Thanks

Rod

Hi Rod,

I recently put a new Battery on my MK IV and all I did was connect the Battery terminals and then put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position (where the key rests while the engine is running) and then left well alone for 6 minutes. I then turned off the ignition and then tried to start the car normally.

The car started first time and has been running perfectly ever since with no alarm issues or key fob problems.

If you followed these instructions and still had your problems then I have no idea what the cause my be...sorry.

If you did something different then maybe you should disconnect the Battery and start again.

Hope this helps.

Redsteve.

Thanks for that Steve. As (I understand) us street cruisers (are allegedly supposed to) say "Yo da Man." :winky:

Just went out, armed with Kitchen timer set to 7 minutes. Remembered your instructions to switch off before trying to start - and - it started on the key without the alarm horn sounding. B)

There is still the lesser problem of the fob not activating the open/close mechanisms but at least I can manually lock the car tonight and go and collect the Lady Friend from her home tomorrow without annoying my neighbours with the alarm.

Any thoughts on the ongoing fob opening/closing problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Hi,

Sorry can't really help here on this one, but can try and amuse you, was it fishtailing before you changed the battery??? :D

Blimey, where did you come from Steve2006? Have you got a bleeper to warn you when I am asking my stupid questions? :winky:

Fishtailing - apparently it's a modern term describing a cars reaction to what us 'older' 'more mature' rally co-drivers used to call 'flat.' scary.gif

Anyway, just read your additional post and it is just as well that it is dark.... jumping in and out of the car and opening and closing the doors........ well I ask you :angry::angry:

I'll have you know that I took a sample with me to hospital this morning without you wanting to take some more.

Well here goes Mr Naive again. I'll let you know

Rod

Well that was an unmitigated disaster. :angry:

I have told you on several occasions that i am a MECHANICAL DUNCE :shutit: :shutit:

I went out and did the 'Remote Programming' bit of your post Steve6 which left me very cold and now I am having to force down my third glass of Mr McKay and his very good friends lotion with some crabbies ginger wine to disguise the taste. How could you? :D

Rod :hohoho:

Good morning all.

OOOOOOH DEAR :blush::blush::blush:

Here’s a tale that is sure to make you all feel better – knowing that there is a LOC member who is possibly more stupid than you. (This topic is open for discussion)

I went out at 07.30 this morning with the intention of seeing if I could run the engine for ten minutes to warm the cabin and de-ice the car in readiness for collecting the Lady Friend. I also had some trepidation that the alarm would go off again and really upset my neighbours. blast.gif

Picture the scene

T’was a lovely morning with freshly laid snow across the street………….All was quiet and peaceful …… Looking like a Dickensian picture – except for the parked cars and a couple of abandoned wheely bins pretending to be snowmen ………. Enough of that sentimental crap. Bah …. Humbug

Anyway, I unlocked the drivers door with the key, got in and said a small prayer before turning the key. WHEY HEY - The alarm did not sound and the engine fired first time – so thank you once again RedSteve. :flowers:

Now for the embarrassing bit. As I was brushing off the snow, I noticed that the bonnet was not shut properly. I remember that I needed two attempts to release the boot lid from by the drivers seat yesterday to get my friend’s Christmas pressies out and I must have pulled the bonnet release by mistake. DORRH Doh2.gif

So there was I last night, sat in the dark and thinking rude thoughts about Steve2006 as I followed his instructions about rubbing my head and tummy in different directions whilst at the same time opening and closing …. Or should that be closing and opening …. the driver’s door when the process was unlikely to be successful whilst the bonnet was ajar. Sorry Steve…..I beg your forgiveness m8

So it’s out later to try the remote programming procedure again.

Watch this space

Rod

Thanks Steve

OK, let me summarise.

After a Battery change I can now unlock the doors by hand and start the engine without the alarm horn blaring as I drive halfway down the street. Then I have been fiddling about trying to get the remote fob buttons working without success.

But this morning, it has struck me that the central locking does not work and the door locking and window buttons on the driver’s door are not working. So does this mean that there is some procedure regarding the Battery connection that I haven’t done? I also recall that there were a series of beeps which seemed to come from the front of the engine bay when the old Battery was disconnected.

I have seen a procedure for Battery connection somewhere in these forums but I typically cannot find it despite doing numerous Searches. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

BTW, some nice person clouted the corner of my rear bumper sometime last night and buggered off without leaving any sort of note. The paint is ‘bruised’ and there is a round crack about the size of a 10p piece. The list of suspects is headed by the local whitevanman.

Hello again Rodney,

this is probably a stupid question, but, are you 100% sure the central locking and the switches on the driver's door were working before the Battery was changed?

Assuming that they were then I can't see that you have done anything wrong in reconnecting the Battery. On my MK IV there are two yellow stickers near the Battery (one above it and one below it) telling you how to connect the Battery and then wait for six minutes before trying to start the car.

Maybe the cold weather has made some part of the wiring loom contract and so it is not making a connection in the door switch panel.

Do the windows work from the other switches in the car?

Does the central locking work if you flick the switch on the inside of the driver's door?

If these functions work from a different source then it sort of points to a specific switch failure.

BTW. I am a Whitevanman and if I had hit your car (or anyone else's) I would have left my details, we are not all goons.

Redsteve.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply RedSteve. Your efforts to help are very much appreciated. I have added my replies to your last post

Hello again Rodney,

this is probably a stupid question, but, are you 100% sure the central locking and the switches on the driver's door were working before the battery was changed?

It is certainly not a stupid question although I do feel that it shows that you are getting the true measure of my mechanical ability :winky: Everything was working correctly before the battery change

Assuming that they were then I can't see that you have done anything wrong in reconnecting the battery. On my MK IV there are two yellow stickers near the battery (one above it and one below it) telling you how to connect the battery and then wait for six minutes before trying to start the car.

Maybe the cold weather has made some part of the wiring loom contract and so it is not making a connection in the door switch panel.

I haven't got any yellow stickers near my battery :sad: Can I borrow yours? Before I do something that will stop the car from starting altogether, can you confirm that it would be OK to disconnect the negative side, then reconnect and then leave for 6 minutes before starting

Do the windows work from the other switches in the car?They did but not now

Does the central locking work if you flick the switch on the inside of the driver's door?It did but not now

If these functions work from a different source then it sort of points to a specific switch failure.

BTW. I am a Whitevanman and if I had hit your car (or anyone else's) I would have left my details, we are not all goons.

Sorry - no offence intended. Anyway, you are also a Lexus driver and Clarkson believes that we are all honourable Freemasons. The guy who visits our narrow residential street several times a week regularly draws attention to himself and is currently driving on the untreated ice faster than I do during the summer.

Redsteve.

Just thought of a couple of other malfunctions since changing the Battery. The steering wheel does not withdraw from the driving position when the key is removed from the ignition and the ignition switch does not illuminate on entry. I hope that this information is helpful

I await further instructions

Rod

Had an issue with my MK IV where the body control ECU crashed in a car park due to me and the passenger pressing too many window control buttons in a short space of time. I lost control of the steering wheel, alarm, windows etc... I only sorted it by removing the fuse for MPX1 (??? I think it was that one) waiting for 15 secs and then re-inserting the fuse. The systems came back online after a couple of minutes, confused me I can tell you. I had only had the car a couple of days and it shook my faith in the car.

Anyway, enough rambling, check the fuses under the bonnet and under the steering wheel, you might have lost one when reconnecting the Battery.

My advice is to follow this advice as you are now in unchartered territory as far as my limited knowledge goes.

There is some good news however...I am now off work for four days! I know that this doesn't help you but it has cheered me up no end. :whistling:

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all and let me be the first to wish you all a very happy Easter. :winky:

Redsteve.

And a great crimbo to you Steve.

Rather than risk further annoyance to my neighbours, I will leave the car alone until next week and hope that you or someone else has some further thoughts on my plight.

surprised.gif

Rod - I'm the one on the right :winky:

We all should know how feedback is essential for the wellbeing of our 'experts' and here is what I hope is a conclusion to my problems.

The first reply to my original post was from Redsteve

Hi Rod,

I recently put a new battery on my MK IV and all I did was connect the battery terminals and then put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position (where the key rests while the engine is running) and then left well alone for 6 minutes. I then turned off the ignition and then tried to start the car normally.

The car started first time and has been running perfectly ever since with no alarm issues or key fob problems.

If you followed these instructions and still had your problems then I have no idea what the cause my be...sorry.

If you did something different then maybe you should disconnect the battery and start again.

Hope this helps.

Redsteve.

I duly followed these instructions...............................NOT ...... see later :blush:

Went out Christmas morning to find the new Battery so flat that it couldn't even make the solenoid click and so I took it off and given it a good charge.

Went out this morning and reconnected the Battery and duly followed Steve's instructions again ...EXCEPT THAT THIS TIME I TURNED THE KEY TO ON AND NOT ACC AS I HAD DONE BEFORE. Doh2.gif .............. as Delboy would say to Rodney..........."What a plonker"

The burps and whirrs as various things reset and lights flashed on and off for the heating/air con were reassuring. All went quiet after about two minutes but I didn't dare touch anything for the 6 minutes stipulated by Steve.

Everything now works as it should and if I have brightened your day by saying this Redsteve I can only say that you deserve it for your patience.

Cheers mate thumbsup.gif

Rod

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links