Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlamp Mainbeam Set Too Low (and Hi!)

Hello Everyone.

- perhaps a bit selfish joining the club and asking for immediate help :whistling:

However, with these dark winter evenings I'm desperately trying to see if I can remedy my IS220d mainbeam - it has to be the worst low set ever. I've asked at two different Lexi dealers now and they tell me it is set correctly. Poppycock I say! Even my motorbike mainbeam projects further than this, and my wife's little suzuki splash car (far better lights than the lexus)

I've had a good search of the forum and can't seem to find an answer... well I could find a similar discussion HERE

And Aido mentions an "attached pdf" with the answer...however, that attachment doesn't seem to be there...

Can anyone Heeelp Please!??

091223-01IS220dKnowledgeTransfer.jpg

1035 views...no replies :crybaby:

But hey! I've sorted it for myself. I stripped it down and forced a few bits into place - ~I would suggest the lights weren't put together properly in the first place, and had to force something to clip into place on each side. I now get decent main beam, and an acceptable dip beam with the dashboard light angle setting adjustment on "1"..."0" is too high, but might be useful if I ever drive along with an elephant on the bonnet.

1035 views...no replies :crybaby:

But hey! I've sorted it for myself. I stripped it down and forced a few bits into place - ~I would suggest the lights weren't put together properly in the first place, and had to force something to clip into place on each side. I now get decent main beam, and an acceptable dip beam with the dashboard light angle setting adjustment on "1"..."0" is too high, but might be useful if I ever drive along with an elephant on the bonnet.

Glad you got it sorted. Very unusual not to get help on this forum so I would think that none of the people viewing have had experience of the problem to offer assistance. Don't let it put you off the forum.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmm...... Interesting.

Personally I have always considered the dipped beam too low on the new GS as well. I have asked my dealer but it appears there is no adjustment since they are self leveling.

However (and here's the interesting bit) - My car is 4 years old in March and so has had one MOT (at Lexus). This year I could not get my car to the dealer before the MOT expired so I took it to a brand spanking new MOT only centre in my home town. Now these guys have no axe to grind because MOT's is all they do.... no remedial work/repairs etc... just MOT's. Also this is a brand new facility with new equipment.

I stayed with the guy while he did the MOT and not surprisingly it sailed through everything without hitch UNTIL it got to the bit where they check headlight alignment........ Oh dear :crybaby: . The nearside headlamp on dipped was very borderline due to it being too low. he checked it again....then moved the car (due to the headlamps swiveling with the steering on the GS). He said the wheels may not have been pointing directly forward..... Same result.

Now he did say strictly speaking it's a fail but it was VERY borderline so he passed it!!! The car is in for a service in the next few weeks so I will ask my dealer (Lexus Sheffield - who are and have been superb with all aspects of work ever done on my GS I might add) whether anything can be done.

The Ed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links