Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im thinking of buying an early LS400 and would like an idea on the running costs over the course of the year, service costs etc and things to look out for and the cost of a new set of tires.

Having been reading up on the car it seems the power steering pump can be troublesome and usually takes the alternator with it, is this a very common thing and at about what age do they go?

Any help appreciated

I HAVE A 93 LS400 IT DOES GOOD MILEAGE WITH THE AIRCON ON , YOU CAN GET CHEAP TYRES ANYWHERE (JUST HAD CHEAP N NASTIES FITTED £180 FOR ALL FOUR) HOWEVER YOU WILL COMPROMISE ON THE ROAD NOISE ASPECT BUT NOT BY MUCH.

TO FIT STANDARD TYRES WILL COST DEARLY SO FOR THE SAME MONEY AS FACTORY GET A NICE SET OF alloys AND YOKAHAMA RUBBER FOR ABOUT £850-900, STILL A BIT NOISY BUT LOOKS THE DOGS NUTS .

YOU CAN USE A MAKESHIFT SHEILD FOR THE ALTERNATOR AND THIS WILL HELP AS MY PUMP JUST VOMITED ALL OVER THE ENGINE AND MY DODGY LOOKING BIT OF ALLY PLATE SAVED THE ALTERNATOR FINE .

BY THE WAY MINE HAS DONE 145,00 MILES AND IS STILL GOING STRONG .

GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU GET HOOKED TOO.

I HAVE MY SERVICING DONE IN A BACK STREET GARAGE AND IT HAS PROVEN FINE SO FAR , JUST MAKE SURE THE MECHANIC IS NOT A TOTAL ****** FIRST. :mat:

I just purchased a 93 LS400 with 99K miles and it had a power steering pump and alternator replaced at 85K miles (surprise, surprise). The airconditioning compressor seized up on the trip home after purchase, about 3 hours into the drive of 600 miles. I purchased a reconditioned compressor from www.auto-air-compressor.com for $300 and after purging and servicing the system with R134a it is working great. The only issue that I have with the car now is with the speedometer and tach needles, they are illuminated ok but they frequently read zero for the first few miles of driving, going to work on that problem next. The car needed tires when I bought it, put on a set of Michelins, V rated tires for $700 including mounting and balancing. Car is a delight to drive, quietest car I have ever owned.

Hmmm! An LS400 weighs about 1800Kg and the only thing controlling its motion are four patches of rubber of about 200mm² in area.

Apparently, Formula 1 tyres are more sophisticated in their technology than the rest of the car!

I wouldn't go cheap on tyres! It sort of defeats the purpose of having a Lexus unless it's just for posing. Mind you, that sort of defeats the purpose of a Lexus too!

No problems here (as yet!- no parts) had the car since January. I have a courtesy car a Ford Focus and there is no comparison to the LS. The LS are far superior! Run forever and are seriously quick (which cars come complete with a power switch on the dashboard? :yahoo: )

We get about 29mpg on a run 20 city driving. Even though the car is 10 years old its much better than any BMW or Mercedes we have owned in the past.

The only negative point is when parts are needed! :excl:

Go and buy one they're brilliant :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links