Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

just a couple of quick questions regarding the stock 1996 LS400 exhaust.

Somewhere I'm sure I read that the system is stainless steel? Could anyone confirm either way?

My exhaust is blowing on the drivers side just infront of the drivers door. I'm hoping that its just a gasket hence why I'd like to know if it could be the exhaust itself rotted through.

Last question is where can I find an exploded diagram of the exhaust with part numbers?

I'd rather find my own part numbers I think!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi all,

just a couple of quick questions regarding the stock 1996 LS400 exhaust.

Somewhere I'm sure I read that the system is stainless steel? Could anyone confirm either way?

My exhaust is blowing on the drivers side just infront of the drivers door. I'm hoping that its just a gasket hence why I'd like to know if it could be the exhaust itself rotted through.

Last question is where can I find an exploded diagram of the exhaust with part numbers?

I'd rather find my own part numbers I think!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Apparently the exhaust itself is SS except for the flanges.

Had to replace my centre boxes and both cats due to rot....the system is all Stainless except the flanges...these are mild steel weleded to the stainless tubes and boxes...so the flanges rot away...

all you can do is replace the system parts as the flanges are as said welded on...the only thing I thought of was to have flanges made up in Stainless and cut the old ones off and weld on the new ones....but looking at the job and thinking of how you would get it all to line up as good as standard ?....I thought the better of it and bit the bullet....

Good Luck ;)

Damn! Fingers are most deffinately crossed on it being a gasket rather than Rott then :(

If not I expect I'll go the route that you considered and have some flanges made up...

Out of interest what would you estimate it cost you to have the different parts of the exhaust replaced? Is there anywhere online I can get a guage of price? I'm expecting it will silly!

Well its not a rotted exhaust which I guess is good... but... I've found the leak and its coming from the EGR Pipe located in about the most akward place known to man! I'm just going to delete the EGR system and block off the ports I think.

Well its not a rotted exhaust which I guess is good... but... I've found the leak and its coming from the EGR Pipe located in about the most akward place known to man! I'm just going to delete the EGR system and block off the ports I think.

Ah yes, the EGR pipe. I did mine last year on my old '93. Made a world of difference :)

In what way?? Just the sound or performance?

Everything I've read in the US pretty much says it can be binned and the JDM spec cars never had it anyhow. I've disabled the EGR on verious cars in the past with no performance issues.

In what way?? Just the sound or performance?

Everything I've read in the US pretty much says it can be binned and the JDM spec cars never had it anyhow. I've disabled the EGR on verious cars in the past with no performance issues.

No performance changes, just the noise was reduced significantly.

I was going to block off the egr as well but when I had the pipe off decided I had a go at welding it, worked out quite well.

Cheers for all the Info Ruud... I've seen places saying that the trans needs to come out and all sorts! Looks like with a bit of inventfull thinking I can get in there enough to do what I need to.

It's fiddly but do-able. I didn't remove anything.

Keep in mind that there is also a bolt about halfway down the pipe.

I tried removing my EGR pipe a while ago. The bolt down the back of the engine wasn't as difficult as I thought but I just couldn't undo the bolts at the bottom end. I could only get a very short spanner onto them and then didn't have enough leverage.

I should have another go sometime seeing as I've paid out for the new pipe and gaskets.

I tried removing my EGR pipe a while ago. The bolt down the back of the engine wasn't as difficult as I thought but I just couldn't undo the bolts at the bottom end. I could only get a very short spanner onto them and then didn't have enough leverage.

I should have another go sometime seeing as I've paid out for the new pipe and gaskets.

Try soaking them in WD40 a while before you start. I only used a spanner as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links