Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please Help A Newbie Thanks In Advance

Hi guys recently brought a ls400 on a k plate the car was fine for a day then the Battery died i replaced the Battery and it has been fine until i got in the car and there was no igntion lights but it still starts and drives,but there is also alot of stuff not working ie radio,heater,rear demister,mirrors,windows,wipers but all these where working fine until i started the car with no ignition, is this just a relay or a fuse any help would be most grateful thanks

Hi welcome to the LOC,

Your 1st post and you have problems.

1st question is did you connect the Battery incorrectly initially? the reason I ask is that the terminals on the Lexus Battery are the other way around to the norm.

If yes or no check the main fuses in the engine compartment fusebox look very carefully as they may look OK but could be blown,from there move to the internal fuse box and check these.

With all the symptoms I would suspect one of the main engine box fuses to be blown.

Steve is absolutely right. Check the main fuse box first. And welcome.

As yours is an older model like mine, 93 L, i would strongly suggest that you check the power stearing pump reservior for a leak. Its a common fault and if yours hasnt been sorted by a previous owner ill eat my hat if it isnt leaking fluid onto the alternator. This leads to a nackered alternator and a flat Battery. Seems a bit of a coincidence that the Battery died after a day. My guise is that the alternator is shot and the vendor charged the Battery just before you bought the car. Id have a garage check that its charging because the dash board alone is enough to flatten a fully charged Battery in no time.

Good luck mate and keep us posted. Hope im wrong about the alternator.

Steve is absolutely right. Check the main fuse box first. And welcome.

As yours is an older model like mine, 93 L, i would strongly suggest that you check the power stearing pump reservior for a leak. Its a common fault and if yours hasnt been sorted by a previous owner ill eat my hat if it isnt leaking fluid onto the alternator. This leads to a nackered alternator and a flat battery. Seems a bit of a coincidence that the battery died after a day. My guise is that the alternator is shot and the vendor charged the battery just before you bought the car. Id have a garage check that its charging because the dash board alone is enough to flatten a fully charged battery in no time.

Good luck mate and keep us posted. Hope im wrong about the alternator.

Thats what you get for typing a reply and then going for your dinner before hitting the "Add Reply" button.

A simple test that you could do in the dark is start the engine and turn the lights on. Rev the engine and watch for teh lights getting brighter with the rise in engine revs. Its an old trick. Never tried it on a Lexus but its worked for me on lots of other cars years ago.

right got a second hand alternter and rebuilt the powersteering pump to stop it leaking and making horrible noises.it has stopped making a noise but i still have no dash lights no radio,heater etc so i checked the voltage across the Battery whilst running and it shows that the alternater is not charging still could it be dodgy cause it is second hand or could it be something else the Battery is new and also the main alt fuse (120)amp is fine any ideas

right got a second hand alternter and rebuilt the powersteering pump to stop it leaking and making horrible noises.it has stopped making a noise but i still have no dash lights no radio,heater etc so i checked the voltage across the Battery whilst running and it shows that the alternater is not charging still could it be dodgy cause it is second hand or could it be something else the Battery is new and also the main alt fuse (120)amp is fine any ideas

all fuses are fine tested both alternaters and got a reading of 12.5v not running and 12.3 running tested both alternaters of the car by spinning them at 4000rpm and checking voltage out the back one had 0 the other was 0.03 so i reckon i got another dud alternater checked all wiring today and they all have continuity so am i right in sayin that its still the alternater thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links