Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I went to start my car this morning and it wouldn't start!

The symptoms were: It was spinning up ok but just wouldn't fire. After about 3 goes it fired up but sounded lumpy, like one of the cylinders wasn't firing. I revved it and then all was ok. I took it for a drive and it started ok after that.

Could it be one of the leads on the way out? Do these cars have the coil at the end of the HT lead? Anybody know the cost of these? Anyone in a Mk3 GS had this problem?

Thanks!

The symptoms were: It was spinning up ok but just wouldn't fire. After about 3 goes it fired up but sounded lumpy, like one of the cylinders wasn't firing. I revved it and then all was ok. I took it for a drive and it started ok after that.

Could it be one of the leads on the way out? Do these cars have the coil at the end of the HT lead? Anybody know the cost of these? Anyone in a Mk3 GS had this problem?

Thanks!

Anyway, I think I've had enough of this. How much do you have to spend to get relaiability. I thought buying a Toyota/Lexus was going to be a worry free ownership experiance........

Who wants a car.................. :angry:

Thanks!

Hi, my 300 Sportcross does exactly this if I shunt it about in our yard and switch off before she gets any real heat into the engine. I am told it is caused by not enough oil pressure in the hydraulic tappets but when trying to start it does sound like little or no compression, no sure if the V6 suffers this like the straight 6 but it does sound rough when it starts till it settles down so if I have to move it I let it idle from cold before switching off, a common problem with Toyota engines I am told.

May be barking up the wrong tree but worth a mention

Tony

Thanks!

Hi, my 300 Sportcross does exactly this if I shunt it about in our yard and switch off before she gets any real heat into the engine. I am told it is caused by not enough oil pressure in the hydraulic tappets but when trying to start it does sound like little or no compression, no sure if the V6 suffers this like the straight 6 but it does sound rough when it starts till it settles down so if I have to move it I let it idle from cold before switching off, a common problem with Toyota engines I am told.

May be barking up the wrong tree but worth a mention

Tony

Hi, you may have hit the nail on the head.

The night before I started it to move a foot then turned it off. I'll see what's it like in the morning. Thanks for that.

It's nothing to do with oil pressure and coil packs, you've flooded it.

It's quite common on fuel injected cars when there only moved a few yards. Basically, when you start the car a load of fuel is injected, usually more than is required to move the car the few feet your moving it. So the next time you start it, more fuel is squirted in and it floods.

If it does it again, rather than trying to start, letting off, trying again, just keep your foot on the accelerator and keep it cranking, after about 10 seconds it'll have cleared itself, you'll get a nice puff of smoke as the excess fuel is burnt off.

It's quite common on fuel injected cars when there only moved a few yards. Basically, when you start the car a load of fuel is injected, usually more than is required to move the car the few feet your moving it. So the next time you start it, more fuel is squirted in and it floods.

If it does it again, rather than trying to start, letting off, trying again, just keep your foot on the accelerator and keep it cranking, after about 10 seconds it'll have cleared itself, you'll get a nice puff of smoke as the excess fuel is burnt off.

This makes sense too! If it starts ok in the morning then I think it must have been flooded from the night before. It has run all day and started ok since this morning.

This makes sense too! If it starts ok in the morning then I think it must have been flooded from the night before. It has run all day and started ok since this morning.

Pay close attention to cranking speed on the starter motor, when mine is having on of its "moments" it really spins over at high speed and pitch coz it has no compression without the valves closing, that aint flooded !

I think that it could have been flooding as it was ok this morning.

I haven't had the problem before and with me starting it and switching it off within a few seconds the day before I think I will put it down to flooding, hopefully!

Hi Knitware!

So anyway...................what's your next car gona be? :whistling:

Rgds, Tony. (PS No further issue's so far with mine :unsure: !

Hi Tony!

My father in law has a 54 reg Mercedes E-class for sale. He's had it since new and has very low mileage. He said that he'd sell it to me cheap. It's in his drive at the moment as he's one of those lucky folk who didn't need to trade it in before he bought his M-class!

I'm not sure if I should sell my car, it's just with the problems that I've had it's just peeing me off and I feel like I'm waiting for another fault to appear at any time. I'm hoping that the car will behave, then again I feel that I shouldn't have to worry about an expensive Japanese car breaking down, I thought that was the whole idea about Lexus, the reliability.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links