Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ticking Over At 2,000rpm ? Urgent Help Needed

Good afternoon everyone - this is my first post.

Ive got a 2001 Is200 Sport manual.

It has a full Lexus service history but i recently had a friend of mine who's a mechanic to change my filters, oil and spark plugs.

All went well until i fired it up - when i start it from cold it ticks over at 2,000 Rpm and even whens its warm its still idling at 1,200 way too high.

Have any of you had this before ? and ideas? I phones Lexus Coventry and they've booked me in for first thing friday and theyre also servicing it for me.

But meanwhile im stuck with a poorly lexus and i use it to drive to work :crybaby:

when i dip the clutch as soon as the rev's drop to 600RPm it revs up to 2000 again ??? random ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lloyd

engine light on or off?

if it's off, check the AMS (air mass sensor).

I suggest don't take a guess, it could 100s things if you want to make a list, get the Coventry people look at it, check the error code if there is any.

Good luck, Hope nothing too bad.

Thanks for the fast replies.

engine light came on when it was first fired up , not been on since.

Will have a good check tonight and see if there are any plugs not clipped in correctly.

I took it to a friend with a diagnostic machine and nothing came up ?

Where abouts is the Air Mass sensor Felix ? Sorry im more of a computer buff than a mechanic

just above the oil dip stick (the yellow ring).

IMG_3026.JPG

Thanks for the fast replies.

engine light came on when it was first fired up , not been on since.

Will have a good check tonight and see if there are any plugs not clipped in correctly.

I took it to a friend with a diagnostic machine and nothing came up ?

Where abouts is the Air Mass sensor Felix ? Sorry im more of a computer buff than a mechanic

thanks for the photo,

had a look

had the engine running and disconnected it, no difference ? :crybaby:

perhaps it has failed? i would have thought the revs would alter if i disconnected it but nothing happened. Perhaps its worth buying one and trying?

what do you think? have you had to replace yours before?

i had a similar problem, with an additional discrepancy: i could not rev over 4000 something RPM,

it was like my ECU or instrument cluster lowered my red line or something?

it was my mass air flow sensor in the air intake system.

and, as Felix said, just a suggestion of something to check.

but i have an Altezza RS200z, with the 3S-GE, so it could be completely different.

thanks for your replies everyone,

Grider is that your lil one in the pic?? looks exactly like my face when i discovered my Is was poorly : ( !

Any idea where i could a get a replacement Sensor?

and any idea of price?

* Asi those wheels look Ace !

Grider is that your lil one in the pic?? looks exactly like my face when i discovered my Is was poorly : ( !

and any idea of price?

you need to make sure he has used the correct plugs coz the wrong plugs can do amazing things to how a car runs,it also sounds like a vacum pipe has been left off??

ps asi's wheels are standard lexus wheels(from the aero pack)he no longer has that car..........he has an is200 v8 turbo!!!

and any idea of price?

you need to make sure he has used the correct plugs coz the wrong plugs can do amazing things to how a car runs,it also sounds like a vacum pipe has been left off??

ps asi's wheels are standard lexus wheels(from the aero pack)he no longer has that car..........he has an is200 v8 turbo!!!

ASI-did you buy marcus is200 v8 turbo ?

and any idea of price?

ASI-did you buy marcus is200 v8 turbo ?

yip he's had that for a wee while now....

Let me know when you get round to selling them , i'll probably have them off you when ive got my car on the road again,

got 2 sets of the standard 17's that need refurbing then i'll be selling them and looking for some new ones. What are they 35 profile ?

i think they are 35 profile.

lexynik the my build is on another forum mate.

the engine is out now as i am getting everything re done because they were small things that could have been done better but Marcus aint a mechanic so didnt know so its also getting changed to manual and a new g link extreme ecu.

yes, Lloyd, that is ma lil feller. just a couple of days old in that pic, turns a year in a couple of weeks.

getting anywhere with your car? maybe there is like a bee's nest or something in your intake?

wouldn't that suck?

Thanks for all your replies,

no idea what happened still.

It went into Lexus Coventry Friday morning and they gave her a full service, reset the ECU ?

well whatever they did shes working perfect now and driving like a dream.

I just wish i didn't have to give that 220d back, the diesel seemed to last for ages even tho i didn't drive gently- couldn't believe it !

It went into Lexus Coventry Friday morning and they gave her a full service, reset the ECU ?

I just wish i didn't have to give that 220d back, the diesel seemed to last for ages even tho i didn't drive gently- couldn't believe it !

what did they charge you if its not rude to ask

Nah i don't mind.

Total came to £496.96 - superb considering i had one of their cars overnight and at my age i can't rent one for insurance reasons through someone like enterprise etc

Thats for a Full Service at 80,000 miles.

kinda annoyed because i will be selling it in about 6 months and the next person who has it will only need to do an intermediate service :ohmy:

Nah i don't mind.

Total came to £496.96 - superb considering i had one of their cars overnight and at my age i can't rent one for insurance reasons through someone like enterprise etc

Thats for a Full Service at 80,000 miles.

kinda annoyed because i will be selling it in about 6 months and the next person who has it will only need to do an intermediate service :ohmy:

lmao ,yeah i had an is250 loan from lex last week and liked it-well at least you got your car running properly-y are you selling it ? upgrade to a 300 ?

If i had waited i could of had the IS250, Had it before and it was amazing. but instead i had the diesel. think the guy at the petrol station missed me! lol

Ive had to change my job, so having to travel a lot and the fuel bill is getting ridiculous !

So unfortunatley Im thinking of getting an Audi A4 Tdi, will miss my IS :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links