Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Note And Steering Wheel Electrical Question

So, on my car I was getting an awful tyre scuffle type noise when on full lock (pulling into parking spots etc). From reading on here I found an IS owner with the same issue. It was like the one wheel was turned at a different angle to the other at full lock so the wheels were pushing outwards and the car was like hopping an inch or so sideways under full lock if that makes sense

The car has 2 new Dunlop Sport SP 270's on the rear. The front had a 270 on it too and a 2020 on the other side (a run flat I was told. DSTT?) Although the tread was fine there was a fair bit of wear on the outer and inner edge of the 2020. It's always been correctly inflated too. Anyhow I but the bullet and read up on here that the Falken 912's get good reviews so I paid my £180 and had a pair fitted earlier this week. The problem has vanished and I'm dead chuffed. Just goes to show how different tread patterns can mess things up.

Noise and handling wise, well to be honest I just pootle up and down the motorway everyday. Noise wise there's hardly any difference, Falkens perhaps marginally quieter but I have the radio on anyhow so it's neither here or there. Handling once again I can't tell a difference as I drive like an old man and never push it.

As for my steering wheel problem. It seems to forget to extend it out when I start the car, every time I get in I have to move it towards me again. I reset the memory seats by turning the key all the way but not starting the car. Setting the steering wheel where I wanted and then pushing SET and 1 and it beeped. However when i turn off, the wheel retracts, but doesn't come back when turned on. Is there a fuse or something somewhere I can look for? 2001 LS 430.

Many thanks! Daniel

Mine does the same on Dungflops.

It has also been hilarious/terrifying in the snow, with the rear having a mind of its own, often falling out with the front end, and deciding to go in a completely different direction.

Taxi proprietor friend of mine made the local Ford dealer change the Dungflops for Michelins before he would take his brand new Galaxy from the forecourt.

Needless to say the car will NOT be on Dungflops next winter.

Have to say the cheapo winter tyres I got put on a month ago have been amazing. They were £82 each and on all but sheet ice it's a completely different car. And I can't tell any difference from the previous Toyos and Goodyear when I'm running on dry roads. Will change them back at the end of this month though. By the way I got the scrubbing scraping noise on full lock (only one side). Lexus said the Goodyears are 235 wide and they replaced the front Goodyears with 225 Toyos and the problem went away

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links