Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took a trip up the M1 on Sunday - much through the 50mph roadworks section - the round trip average over about 70 miles was 47.2. It was showing about 53 when I left the roadworks first time. (That's the 220d sport loaner *still* !)

Had my 220D sport for around 4 weeks now. When I first had it I wansnt impressed with the MPG, however, now I know how to drive it - between 1500 - 2000 RPM I can now get around 36 tank average and currently 41 with a mix of town / A roads and motorways including a few occassions stuck in traffic (tested over 150 miles).

Doesnt mean driving like miss daisy either (which i dont!), the power is right there when you need it at them revs and pointless driving it past 2500 rpm imo.

With the sport mine will run in sixth gear happily >55mph

I do run Shell diesel and I have recently put a shot of the millers ecomax diesel fuel treatment.

Interesting to see this getting positive.

2 x 150 mile run on A roads last week (with some town and traffic holdups) saw a return of 45 + and I don't drive like Daisy either (no point having a 177 output Lexus if I did). Been managing 40ish on local driving since.

I put post on general forum last week about enhanced fuels. My figures are with Excellium, which I find gives better return than standard. Any other experience - with Total, Texaco or others?

Had EGR replaced. Getting 36.5 MPG combined.. is this OK??

Col :blink:

My 2006 220d has just had its engine rebuilt, new short block, and various other bits. Result is that for the fist time since I had it, from new, I am now achieving decent figures. Driving in London traffic, constant stop start, it now does 35mpg, on a long motorway run, cruise control on, set at 80mph, it averages out at 43. However, whilst on the M4, running through the 50mph sections, I reset the AVG, set cruise on at 53mph (I know it was that coz I have a roadangel) flat road over a 3 mile stretch, it said 62mpg. Tank refill and calculated gave a tank distance of 570 miles.

Whatever they did when they rebuilt it, Lexus should have done from the beginning, it's also a lot quieter now than it was when new.

Give thanks to a decent dealer!!

My 57 plate had the whole new engine thing at 55k miles and most of the other gubbins under the bonnet at various times and, as you say, was a marked improvement. However this was short lived as after the usual 5000ish miles it began misbehaving again and economy plummeted again. Lexus had it back, messed around with the turbo settings (badly) and cleaned the EGR valve again - better. Seems to me that the key to these things running properly is a clean EGR valve. Never found out if it cured it as it was sold off 4k miles later and replaced with a VAG diesel - now that is good!!

Had EGR replaced. Getting 36.5 MPG combined.. is this OK??

Col :blink:

My 2006 220d has just had its engine rebuilt, new short block, and various other bits. Result is that for the fist time since I had it, from new, I am now achieving decent figures. Driving in London traffic, constant stop start, it now does 35mpg, on a long motorway run, cruise control on, set at 80mph, it averages out at 43. However, whilst on the M4, running through the 50mph sections, I reset the AVG, set cruise on at 53mph (I know it was that coz I have a roadangel) flat road over a 3 mile stretch, it said 62mpg. Tank refill and calculated gave a tank distance of 570 miles.

Whatever they did when they rebuilt it, Lexus should have done from the beginning, it's also a lot quieter now than it was when new.

Give thanks to a decent dealer!!

My 57 plate had the whole new engine thing at 55k miles and most of the other gubbins under the bonnet at various times and, as you say, was a marked improvement. However this was short lived as after the usual 5000ish miles it began misbehaving again and economy plummeted again. Lexus had it back, messed around with the turbo settings (badly) and cleaned the EGR valve again - better. Seems to me that the key to these things running properly is a clean EGR valve. Never found out if it cured it as it was sold off 4k miles later and replaced with a VAG diesel - now that is good!!

Yes, we have several Audi A3's and A4's on the company fleet, they are economic. However, they have also suffered from nasty engine problems; Do some research on VAG diesels 2005 - 2006, you'll find a lot of very unhappy owners. Our's arn't that old, but we've had two with Head Gasket failures.

The other thing is the IS220d's engine sounds like a bag of spanners when you start it, but quickly get's quitens down; the VAG diesel on the other hand, at least the two litre varient, continues to sound like a bag of spanners. That's not me saying that, that's the guys here who drive them.

The best diesels out there are BMW's and Peugeot's, although in saying that, I had problems with a BMW 320d I had some years back, I think it was to do with EGR valve... strange thing that. :)

We also have a Honda Accord 2.2CDTI in the family and that is a reliable diesel car with good mpg- if you want a Jap diesel, then you can't get better than the Accord 2.2CDTI IMHO.

Had my 220D sport for around 4 weeks now. When I first had it I wansnt impressed with the MPG, however, now I know how to drive it - between 1500 - 2000 RPM I can now get around 36 tank average and currently 41 with a mix of town / A roads and motorways including a few occassions stuck in traffic (tested over 150 miles).

Doesnt mean driving like miss daisy either (which i dont!), the power is right there when you need it at them revs and pointless driving it past 2500 rpm imo.

With the sport mine will run in sixth gear happily >55mph

I do run Shell diesel and I have recently put a shot of the millers ecomax diesel fuel treatment.

Finished the first tank full with ecomax, pulled in off the motorway after 500 miles but reckon it would have pushed another 40 miles. Tank Avg 38.3 (mixture as stated above). Overall I am ok with this as the power was there when needed! Thing I reckon with the sport is because of the ratio, the MPG will suffer more 80+ mph, at 80 its ~2600 rpm iirc, but will happily cruise at 50 mph in 6th (through the motorway road works) and dont need to drop it down a gear to accelerate happily back to 70+.

I havent noticed any smoke at on this last tank of petrol. Not sure if its the ecomax helping, it was on shell low sulphur (the standard shell diesel).

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2007 and have had the EGR replaced at the second service under warranty. I drove to the South of France and back two weeks ago and managed 38.6 mpg all motorway and averaging 80mph (130kph) most of the way in 6th, drove from Dover at 70 in a mix of 5th and 6th and managed 43.2. But normally get 34 to 36 urban.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I tried out not using 6th gear this morning on my way to work which is about a 25mile commute mainly Motorway and got a steady 48-49mpg doing just under 60mph at about 1700rpm in 5th gear. The same trip yesterday using 6th gear @ 1500rpm doing 65mph got me only 43mpg, so a bit slower for my journey but a decent improvement on my mpg I reckon. I hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links