Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

Have searched this and USA forums with no success...

I have a (very) intermitent problem with my rear suspension. It has only happened twice in all the time I have had my MK4, both times when I have been involved in extremely heavy traffic jams which have taken an hour or more to get through while averaging a speed far less than walking pace. All of a sudden out of the blue the rear suspension gets very creaky and remains that way until the car is parked up and left for a while.

First time it appeared out of nowhere whilst queuing for the Blackwall tunnel, that was 2000+ miles ago and after I parked up at the cinema the car had returned to its normal silent self when I returned and drove home. It has not happened since until last night when caught in traffic that meant it took me 3 hours to get from Reading to Windsor. (Usually a 20 minute journey). Stayed at a hotel overnight and when I drove home this morning the car was perfect again?!

Have recently had the car MOT'd and serviced at lexus and they didn't pick up anything on the rear suspension on their visual safety check, only that the front lower arms may need replacing before next service. I have also had a good look with the car on a ramp and can see nothing untoward.

Bit of a wierd one hey??? Any advice or theories would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks Guys in anticipation.

Hi Everyone,

Have searched this and USA forums with no success...

I have a (very) intermitent problem with my rear suspension. It has only happened twice in all the time I have had my MK4, both times when I have been involved in extremely heavy traffic jams which have taken an hour or more to get through while averaging a speed far less than walking pace. All of a sudden out of the blue the rear suspension gets very creaky and remains that way until the car is parked up and left for a while.

First time it appeared out of nowhere whilst queuing for the Blackwall tunnel, that was 2000+ miles ago and after I parked up at the cinema the car had returned to its normal silent self when I returned and drove home. It has not happened since until last night when caught in traffic that meant it took me 3 hours to get from Reading to Windsor. (Usually a 20 minute journey). Stayed at a hotel overnight and when I drove home this morning the car was perfect again?!

Have recently had the car MOT'd and serviced at lexus and they didn't pick up anything on the rear suspension on their visual safety check, only that the front lower arms may need replacing before next service. I have also had a good look with the car on a ramp and can see nothing untoward.

Bit of a wierd one hey??? Any advice or theories would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks Guys in anticipation.

Evening David

There is some comment in the Brakes & Suspension section of this forum that you might find helpful.

It is most likely to be a bush thats dry/on its way out. Before you start spending money its worth trying to pin-down the source.

As I'm sure you are aware, the front suspension is prone to creaking. Mine (N/S) has only ever done it when the weather is warm and so I am reluctant to change it. Having sourced the problem, a decent squirt of WD-40 has prevented creaking for months. Try it on your rear suspension.

Incidentally, I also use the stuff on the fan belt when it decides to squeak.

Thanks Steve! Will probably get it up on the ramp again this week and spray WD40 where I think it might make a difference. Problem is so intermitent that it is impossible to find the source of the squeak, and the pry bar came up with nothing last time I looked. Maybe I'm wrong about where the noise is coming from and it is actually coming from the front. I have had an interior rattle recently that when driving sounded like it was coming from the back. Got my girlfriend to drive whilst I was in the back and the rattle sounded like it was coming from the drivers seat so maybe my ears are not the most reliable guage of where the noise is located!!

it could be rusty nuts and joints around the shocks and control arms etc, some may need re-greasing

i too have similar infrequent creaks and groans but was waiting for the weather to clear before putting it on stands for the day! :whistling:

Does the sound happen when driving? you know with the normal dips and suspension duties, or just on speed bumps etc

if normal it could be the shocks or springs, if speed bumps its the control arms/ball joints

you can also check the shocks by pushing down on the wing several times

Its prob worth checking & re-greasing everything behind the wheel every few years anyway :hehe: just realised i dont either :blink:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links