Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, having driven a 1.6 Sporthatch Astra for the last 3 years, I decided to upgrade to a premium saloon. The choices? The usual really... BMW 3 Series, Merc C-Class, Audi A4...or maybe a Lexus IS250. Obviously I went for the IS250 and what a great decision it was! Such a good car, and with the MM it's so mch fun! Why did I choose the IS? Because it's a little bit different to all the others. So, I was wondering, what was the main reason for you all to buy the IS?

So, having driven a 1.6 Sporthatch Astra for the last 3 years, I decided to upgrade to a premium saloon. The choices? The usual really... BMW 3 Series, Merc C-Class, Audi A4...or maybe a Lexus IS250. Obviously I went for the IS250 and what a great decision it was! Such a good car, and with the MM it's so mch fun! Why did I choose the IS? Because it's a little bit different to all the others. So, I was wondering, what was the main reason for you all to buy the IS?

Hi Benc103, welcome to the LOC forum.

I also have the IS250 MM, but with the sunroof. I was originally looking at the diesel, but after reading the horror stories on this forum decided to go for the IS250 SEL auto. Reasons are: as you say it's different to the BMWs, Audis and Mercs that you see on every road, the build quality, the 'extras' you get as standard, the reliability and the refinement of the drive. When first looking at the spec I wasn't bothered about some of the extras, but know having owned the car for 6 months, I couldn't live without them.

Happy motoring!

Hi Ben, I have an 2008 IS220D. Contrary to the odd horror story associated with the diesel, I am totally in love with mine. You will find on the forum that there are some who are panicky and post rather strong words against the IS220, and, it threw me in to an anxiety attack when I read these posts. I thought I'd made the biggest mistake in my life buying another Lexus, but, I am very happy to say that "the problems" are fully fixed with mine and I look forward to many years of comfort and luxury. I bought my 1st Lexus IS200 sport because of the individuality of the car, the timeless shape, comfort, reliability and many other things that Beamers, Audi's and Merc's just don't have. Based on that, I changed up to the 220D for the same reasons. It just blows the other competitors out of the water as far as we are concerned. When I go out in the morning and see my car, I just beam with pride and love for it. The shape is amazing and the drive, although different from the 200 sport is unbelievably good. All in, Lexus is a brand to stick with, especially if you also have a great local Lexus dealer which I have in Aberdeen. There is a real sense of being yourself in these cars, and, not just running with the pack. Enjoy your car mate, you'll be very happy with the decision you've made. Oh, and a huge welcome to the club... Gold Member next?????? lol

Col hehe.gifmsn-wink.gifmsn-wink.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

Thanks for the welcomes. It's interesting what you notice when you really pay attention. Next time you're out in your IS, count how many 3 Series you see... they seem to be a victim of their own success as they've totally lost their exclusivity...can't see that happening with the IS

i had my is200 se for 3 happy years and i had a crash in in last month so i was in the market for a new car i could of had a new ford or vauxhall sport hatch and i did drive a cryseler sebring but that was bloody awful. so i wanted another lexus had it just under a week and i am loving the sound of the v6

Coming up to six months of ( touch wood ) trouble free ownership. A delight to drive, relaxing beyond belief. Looked at the models you mention, all very good cars hence the reason Lexus have to work so hard to produce a car to challenge them. I tried them all many times but always came back to the Lexus. I originally tried it just for the sake of it, not expecting anything out of the ordinary. I enjoy it more and more the better I get to know it and have no regrets. When my friends, who own some of the cars you mention, travel in my car they all have one thing in common, they are all very quiet, probably deep in thought, and one is getting a 250 auto when his C Class goes back in the summer.

I agree with everything said so far, but would like to add one thing: the buying process. I find the competitors a pain to build, with option lists about a hundred items long. Some of them don't go together, and if you want a high-specced car, you really have to pay through the nose. Also, the dealers (at least where I live) are not knowledgeable about all options. The Audi dealer actually told me the A4 can't be had with ventilated seats, when in fact it can. Of course, it can only be had with the comfort seats, which can only be had with the Milano leather option. Why they offer these as separate options when you have to select all of them is beyond me, and indicative of the whole awkwardness when configuring German cars. Further, this means that it is impossible to test drive the exact car you want to buy. I was interested in an A4 2.0T (petrol) multitronic. The only multitronic demo car they had was an 2.0 TDI with 19 inch wheels and sport suspension (which I don't want). So besides being a multitronic car, the whole configuration was the exact opposite of what I was looking for. And then I hadn't even started asking for Bang and olufsen audio and all the other extras that would make it a reasonable comparison to an IS 250 Luxury MM with PCS/ACC.

Compare all this to Lexus, where you only have to add three packages to have a maxed-out car, and interior/exterior colour combination possibly the only option that can't be seen in real life before placing an order.

Plus, living in Sweden the relative originality is a big bonus. Here everyone wants a Volvo V70.

I agree with everything said so far, but would like to add one thing: the buying process. I find the competitors a pain to build, with option lists about a hundred items long. Some of them don't go together, and if you want a high-specced car, you really have to pay through the nose. Also, the dealers (at least where I live) are not knowledgeable about all options. The Audi dealer actually told me the A4 can't be had with ventilated seats, when in fact it can. Of course, it can only be had with the comfort seats, which can only be had with the Milano leather option. Why they offer these as separate options when you have to select all of them is beyond me, and indicative of the whole awkwardness when configuring German cars. Further, this means that it is impossible to test drive the exact car you want to buy. I was interested in an A4 2.0T (petrol) multitronic. The only multitronic demo car they had was an 2.0 TDI with 19 inch wheels and sport suspension (which I don't want). So besides being a multitronic car, the whole configuration was the exact opposite of what I was looking for. And then I hadn't even started asking for Bang and olufsen audio and all the other extras that would make it a reasonable comparison to an IS 250 Luxury MM with PCS/ACC.

Compare all this to Lexus, where you only have to add three packages to have a maxed-out car, and interior/exterior colour combination possibly the only option that can't be seen in real life before placing an order.

Plus, living in Sweden the relative originality is a big bonus. Here everyone wants a Volvo V70.

Yep, we've all been there, you're preaching to the converted. It's simple, drive what you can afford to buy and pick the one you like best.

You'll really enjoy your Lexus.

Welcome Benc.

After falling in love with my first 220 (which I had for 3 years), it was difficult to look at others. I was buying this one with hard earned money so I had to look. Conclusion was that the sums for others didn't stack up and, as some have said, too many variations. Furthermore, BMW, Merc and Audi all have grand ideas about the price of their demonstrators. My 6 month old purchase was a few grand less than same age with others - even though they are really common.

My wife really made the difference though when she told me how good she felt as a Lexus passenger (she doesn't drive). She still feels the same even though I bought a Cadoxton instead of the Brechin I had before.

Enjoy the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links