Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Writeable Media (Cd's)

hi all

i would really like a new double din head unit but i love the sound quality of the standard unit (se unit with glovebox amp and 8 speakers)so im weighing up buying one or getting a grom adapter the main reason being for playing mp3's , so for now im converting my mp3's into audio format and burning my own cd's , just thought id create a thread on this topic as im sure there is plenty of us out there doing the same.

i use asda's writeable cd's and windows media player to convert and burn my mp3's onto them , now and again though the odd one doesnt work and the head unit cant read them , i know the issue isnt with my stereo as it works fine so it must be a burn error , i have tried sony rewriteable cd's and the stereo dont like those.

so what writeable cd's do you guys use that work well ? what cd's have you used that dont work ? what format of writeable cd's are best -r +r etc ? what programs do you use to convert and burn your cd's ?

thanks all.

i dont write many cds/dvds anymore but i use nero- very reliable and easy to use - can get basic version for free still i think - just google nero

hi all

i would really like a new double din head unit but i love the sound quality of the standard unit (se unit with glovebox amp and 8 speakers)so im weighing up buying one or getting a grom adapter the main reason being for playing mp3's , so for now im converting my mp3's into audio format and burning my own cd's , just thought id create a thread on this topic as im sure there is plenty of us out there doing the same.

i use asda's writeable cd's and windows media player to convert and burn my mp3's onto them , now and again though the odd one doesnt work and the head unit cant read them , i know the issue isnt with my stereo as it works fine so it must be a burn error , i have tried sony rewriteable cd's and the stereo dont like those.

so what writeable cd's do you guys use that work well ? what cd's have you used that dont work ? what format of writeable cd's are best -r +r etc ? what programs do you use to convert and burn your cd's ?

thanks all.

Try burning them at the slowest speed possible - this will reduce the risk of the disks failing and also make them more "hardy" towards scratching. I use all different kinds of software for burning etc - but mostly i use NTi media maker that was on my laptop when i bought it.

As for CDR's I buy off the bay of e. however recently play.com have been quite good - i bought 100 TDK for £9.99 delivered bargain

i dont write many cds/dvds anymore but i use nero- very reliable and easy to use - can get basic version for free still i think - just google nero

thanks nik , i used to use nero but i upgraded to windows 7 and couldnt use it anymore nero 7 was the version i think which i was running on xp what cd's did you use ?

hi all

thanks all.

Try burning them at the slowest speed possible - this will reduce the risk of the disks failing and also make them more "hardy" towards scratching. I use all different kinds of software for burning etc - but mostly i use NTi media maker that was on my laptop when i bought it.

As for CDR's I buy off the bay of e. however recently play.com have been quite good - i bought 100 TDK for £9.99 delivered bargain

thanks lloyd ill check play.com out , tdk's too ! bargain.

aaah im not on 7 yet so im a bit outdated there - i bulk bought tdk and phillips dvd/cds ages ago but not sold on the idea that brand makes a lot of odds nowadays with these things - as lloyd said burn slow for good results or go grom even better - i think theres a grom and an xcarlink which have a usb input now for flash drives , memory sticks etc which is probably easier/cheaper then an ipod if you dont have one already

aaah im not on 7 yet so im a bit outdated there - i bulk bought tdk and phillips dvd/cds ages ago but not sold on the idea that brand makes a lot of odds nowadays with these things - as lloyd said burn slow for good results or go grom even better - i think theres a grom and an xcarlink which have a usb input now for flash drives , memory sticks etc which is probably easier/cheaper then an ipod if you dont have one already

cool , i do have an i pod but its just the little shuffle one and i hate using i tunes to be honest cos its slow and you have to convert all your mp3's to aac , i have one of those tape adapters with the line in jack coming off it which does a fairly good job but going through the tape head probably lessen's the quality of the sound and i hate the wire that dangles out of the tape entry .

snap - im not keen on itunes either as its sooo much easier just to use a memory stick type thing - i hear with the grom the ipod connection option gives better sound quality then the aux type connecter but i would think usb input from a flash drive should be as good as the ipod connecter itself but it might be worth your while doing a bit of research on opinions before you spend your hard earned money on any of the above - ps fm transmitters are another option and cheap off eBay ie £7 upwards but from experience i can say the cheap ones do not give good sound quality but may be as good as the wire out the cassette player option and look a lot better without the wire and tou have the usb option built in

snap - im not keen on itunes either as its sooo much easier just to use a memory stick type thing - i hear with the grom the ipod connection option gives better sound quality then the aux type connecter but i would think usb input from a flash drive should be as good as the ipod connecter itself but it might be worth your while doing a bit of research on opinions before you spend your hard earned money on any of the above - ps fm transmitters are another option and cheap off ebay ie £7 upwards but from experience i can say the cheap ones do not give good sound quality but may be as good as the wire out the cassette player option and look a lot better without the wire and tou have the usb option built in

Its also worth considering that quality of your MP3's with depend on the "sampling rate" usually right clicking on the file and going to "properties" then the "details" tab will help you determine the quality of your MP3. anything around 192Kbps is perfect and more than ample for what you need :)and if you ever use windows media player for your converting its give you the option when converting to change which quality you require.

I use Seeksy for my music, its a great little piece of software and even works a treat on my mobile broadband at work ;)

google it if you get 5mins spare

oh and in response to FM transmitters i would seriously give it a miss, mines really really quiet and very "tinny".

mid range and Bass are a big part of any music :crybaby: and altho mine was uber cheap i wouldnt use it again! lol

oh and in response to FM transmitters i would seriously give it a miss, mines really really quiet and very "tinny".

mid range and Bass are a big part of any music :crybaby: and altho mine was uber cheap i wouldnt use it again! lol

i agree on the fm transmitter , i did try one and was pretty disapointed , although like nik said it was a cheap one which could be part of the problem.

ill check it out lloyd cheers for the tip - yeah fm transmitters are pants for the cheapie ones on sound quality and i dont use mine either but cant be much worse then a wire out the tape deck solution and can use usb

lloyd is seeksy a similar thing to isohunt ?

no mate - its just purely for music and very easy and quick, and isohunt is a website, seeksy is a piece of software :D

is it just a player/converter and burner program then lloyd , gonna google it in a bit.

no mate - its just purely for music and very easy and quick, and isohunt is a website, seeksy is a piece of software :D

is it just a player/converter and burner program then lloyd , gonna google it in a bit.

no mate sorry, Its just a software where you can search for your MP3's to download only for backup reasons of corse :winky: :winky:

no mate sorry, Its just a software where you can search for your MP3's to download only for backup reasons of corse :winky: :winky:

lol im with ya mate :winky:

i must be on the wrong thing- says free trial-10 downloads

full seeksy - unlimited downloads - price of three cds

free seeksy - buy another product get seeksy for free

i must be on the wrong thing- says free trial-10 downloads

full seeksy - unlimited downloads - price of three cds

free seeksy - buy another product get seeksy for free

I cant seem to get on the site i got it from, maybe their servers down. Ive just loaded my version up and its stil free and ive had it on this laptop for at least 6 months. I'll PM you in the next few days when ive found you the version i have mate

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links