Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Ls400 Immobilised, Battery Off For A Week, Now Wont Start..

What a first post, I've been an LS400 owner for a week and I just want to go out for a drive tonight!

Battery was left off for a week to make car more secure in an exposed place. I've put it back on and the car wont start. Key isnt allowed to turn at all in the ignition.

keyfob works, locks and unlocks, 'security' light stops flashing when the key is inserted, steering wheel motorises, but i cant turn the ignition key. If i bring the windows down on the auto drop (hold unlock button) and insert, the digital display lights when i put the key in and says, moonroof open. then goes blank again.

I've tried all sorts of stuff from searches, but nothing mentions the 98 vvti models at all.

Pressure off for tonight, I need dinner, the MV6 gets a belt instead..

Still need to fix this asap though, have parts arriving friday and need to move the car

Hi

Have you tried the obvious - waggle the steering wheel - this happened to me once and I called out the RAC - most embarrassing

MJM444

does sound like the steering lock doesn't it.

If so you should be able to move the steering wheel slightly and take pressure off the key lock so that the key turns.

Does sound a bit too obvious to be that though.

If it is this... you can expect to hear me laughing at myself all the way from Wolverhampton...

Now you mention it,, i do remember backing into the tight stoarage spot, killing the ignition, and then noticing i'd left some lock on so may have straightened the wheel.

Is the steering lock particularly sensitive on these?

It has scared me though, so i intend to grab a spare keyfob and get a blank cut. could someone direct me to the mkiv chip key registration procedure.. (timed presses on accel and brake i believe?)

so, tonight.. i will check the steering lock.. damn these new fangled features :-P

First to put my hand up and say.... ohh my gosh how dumb am I! She was fine all along, just on the steering lock.

I think I was overwhelmed by all the motors and gagetry and just assumed that some electronic steering lock wasnt disengaging... right, now to say hello as a new member in a more polite manner..

thanks all, yes i really was that vacant :)

First to put my hand up and say.... ohh my gosh how dumb am I! She was fine all along, just on the steering lock.

I think I was overwhelmed by all the motors and gagetry and just assumed that some electronic steering lock wasnt disengaging... right, now to say hello as a new member in a more polite manner..

Good for you for solving it and admitting the faux pas. It happens to us all.

Good on ya Luke, we all like puzzles especially ones that can be solved :)

bet the car was thinking why does this man keep putting my key in, swearing and getting out......

If it is this... you can expect to hear me laughing at myself all the way from Wolverhampton...

Now you mention it,, i do remember backing into the tight stoarage spot, killing the ignition, and then noticing i'd left some lock on so may have straightened the wheel.

Is the steering lock particularly sensitive on these?

It has scared me though, so i intend to grab a spare keyfob and get a blank cut. could someone direct me to the mkiv chip key registration procedure.. (timed presses on accel and brake i believe?)

so, tonight.. i will check the steering lock.. damn these new fangled features :-P

Hi Luke,

I was gonna suggest the steering lock too, i never put mine on as most times its really hard to get off, almost like im going to snap something.

I'm not sure you can get blanks cut, its an inverted key and the few shops/business' i went to for a copy all said i'd have difficulty finding someone who could copy thoses keys.

You need to find out if you have the master key. DONT TOUCH the keyhole near the boot/petrol cap release. This is a 'valet parking' thing and only the master key will open this. So make sure the key opens the bootlock at rear of car easily before trying the internal lock near release switches. You see, if you push this lock inwards, it stops the boot release switch working and can be a pain if you dont have the master key.

I have to use mine as the boot lock itself is stuck.

The master key can program other keys, but if you only have a spare key you need to get yer wallet out & pay lexus a couple of hunderd pounds, or have barrels changed and end up with 3 keys for 1 car (+spares of each!!)

Good luck with the motor, i've had mine 6 yrs and am still pleased

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links